Old 12-08-2013, 10:17 AM   #1
jlf

AC not working

We purchased a 2014 Forest River Silverback 33 RL in Sept 2013. We had no problems. We are only part time rvers and our coach stays on our lot about 350 miles away. The last time we "visited" the RV, was on Veterans Day. Well yesterday we are here for a two week vacation in Disney World and it seems the AC isn't working properly. When the AC comes on, it doesn't feel cold. It feels as if the fan is running and it isn't cooling off. Before ruining our well planned vacation with Mickey, does anyone have any idea what it could be? Also has anyone had problems with the Silverbacks AC? Thank for any help

Old 12-08-2013, 10:42 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlf View Post
We purchased a 2014 Forest River Silverback 33 RL in Sept 2013. We had no problems. We are only part time rvers and our coach stays on our lot about 350 miles away. The last time we "visited" the RV, was on Veterans Day. Well yesterday we are here for a two week vacation in Disney World and it seems the AC isn't working properly. When the AC comes on, it doesn't feel cold. It feels as if the fan is running and it isn't cooling off. Before ruining our well planned vacation with Mickey, does anyone have any idea what it could be? Also has anyone had problems with the Silverbacks AC? Thank for any help
Make sure the thermostat has the Fan in Auto and NOT low or High.

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

It sounds like the A/C fan is running. but the compressor isn't kicking on. If you had a readout of amps drawn as I do with a hard-wired surge protector, you see that it's only drawing about 1.5A instead or 13A. I had the same thing happen once...I cycled the thermostat a couple of times between 'off' and 'cool' and it worked.

I tried to find a trouble-shooting manual for you in our forum library, but the only one listed there is for a Coleman with an internal thermostat. What is the make and size of the A/C?

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:47 PM   #4
jlf

Thanks for the tip. We r actually on the road now so we won't be able to try your suggestions for a while yet. But I will keep you posted. The model is a Dometic 15000
Old 12-09-2013, 01:59 PM   #5
jlf

There isn't a high or low switch on the fan. It just has fan,cool, and furnace. It is a dometic 15000 system. But thank you for the tip
Old 12-09-2013, 02:23 PM   #6
jlf

[QUOTE="Dave_Monica;508990"]It sounds like the A/C fan is running. but the compressor isn't kicking on. If you had a readout of amps drawn as I do with a hard-wired surge protector, you see that it's only drawing about 1.5A instead or 13A. I had the same thing happen once...I cycled the thermostat a couple of times between 'off' and 'cool' and it worked. I tried to find a trouble-shooting manual for you in our forum library, but the only one listed there is for a Coleman with an internal thermostat. What is the make and size of the A/C? Dave[

We have tried your tip a couple if times with no luck. I guess our next step is to find someone who does service calls along with warranty calls. This is our first FR and first time dealing with warranty issues. But again thank you for the tip. Mickey is going to have to wait because this FL heat ism
Old 04-12-2014, 02:58 AM   #7

Not sure if this helps but our AC unit would shut off the compressor prematurely and I like ICE cold AC.
After doing this mod, it's a freezer in the Master bedroom when turned to full cold..

Coleman AC thermostat range adjustment - YouTube

_
Old 04-12-2014, 04:14 AM   #8

I see this thread was started a while ago, but my experience may still be helpful. I had the same problem you describe on my Dometic 13.5K BTU roof air conditioner.

The Dometic air conditioners have a relay circuit board located above the air filter in a metal box about 6 inches square. Several wire harnesses with plugs connect to the circuit board. 120 Volts AC also goes in there, so shut off the power before opening the box. Make certain all the connectors are seated properly. There is also a 12 volt automotive type blade fuse you can check on the circuit board. The Thermostat and air conditioning circuit board on my Georgetown receive the 12 volt power on the same circuit as the Fantastic Fan, so also check the 12 volt fuses at your main fuse panel.

My Georgetown motorhome has two identical roof air conditioners, so I tried switching the circuit boards between them, and that isolated the failure. The faulty circuit board had some corrosion on it. Mine was out of warranty, so I purchased a replacement relay circuit board from Dyer's for about $50 which fixed the problem.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:47 AM   #9

If a compressor short cycles it will cause the compressor not to start again but your fan would stay on. If it did short cycle on you it would have to be turned off and let to cool internally. Sometimes that can take 24 hrs. for the click on internally to reset. You could have also developed a leak and in Florida it's hot and the hotter it is the more it becomes apparent. As far as your silverback go's it really makes no difference on the make being they use about the same a/c on all the brands. Dave was right the compressor will pull 13.5 amps fully loaded. I know your getting power to the unit being the fan is running. Turn it off if you can and leave it off for awhile then restart it. If it still is not cooling then I would get a tech. I think not positive that there is manufacturer's 2 year warranty. With home systems it is 5 year on the compressor. No a/c in Florida can ruin your vacation. Call your dealer they might cover a repair guy to come out to you being you are traveling. It shouldn't take a tech more then an hour or so to check it out. Then it would be fixing the problem. But try shutting it down first and letting it cool. Hope it works out for you.

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote