Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2012, 08:46 PM   #41
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefly51 View Post
So, fast murray, if you split the plug, as many kitchen plugs used to be, and made sure two 14/2 lines were connected to two breakers that were on the same pole, you would get two 15 amp circuits. Or you could connect two cords to the adaptor on two different breakers on the same pole and all is well. This works at my home and granted you may not be able to do this everywhere, but it works just fine for me.
IMO, this is very dangerous. There is a reason 220 breakers are common tripped. If one leg gets overloaded (may occur due to a worn or overheated breaker and trip before the "other" breaker) you don't want that breaker to suddenly get whatever load you were pulling when the weaker breaker lets go.

The "other" breaker my trip in time, before you have wire damage, but why take the chance? If you are going to run 2 dedicated circuits anyway, why not run ONE 30 amp circuit and a proper RV socket?
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:57 PM   #42

Quote:
So, fast murray, if you split the plug, as many kitchen plugs used to be, and made sure two 14/2 lines were connected to two breakers that were on the same pole, you would get two 15 amp circuits. Or you could connect two cords to the adaptor on two different breakers on the same pole and all is well. This works at my home and granted you may not be able to do this everywhere, but it works just fine for me.
Here's the thing: If the adaptor is rated for 30 amps, and you are very careful when plugging in the cords (you'll have exposed live prongs unless you shut off BOTH breakers), and you make darned sure you aren't on A&B phases (that'll give you some sparks), then it'll work. Now you've got some code violations to consider as well as some safety issues and the possibility of damaging cord plugs and receptacles. If it works for you, great. It's these kind of things that makes our business good money as service calls are lucrative for us.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:01 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
If you are going to run 2 dedicated circuits anyway, why not run ONE 30 amp circuit and a proper RV socket?

That's also popular. Someone will tell the customer that they can use a 15 to 30 amp adaptor and run a 50 foot cord to their RV so they don't need a 30A receptacle installed. Eventually we will go out and install the correct receptacle and replace the 15 amp recep that burned up. Sometimes I'll throw in a new end for their cord as well.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:06 PM   #44

Just an electrical engineer here... IMHO, this is a flippin' stupid idea. Fugedaboutit. Don't do it. It could end up being dangerous, causing personal injury, death and/or property damage. As mentioned, electrically it may seem like it *might* work, but I cringe when I hear of people thinking of actually thinking of doing something like this.

If you have 15 amp receptacles spread all over a site, you have NO idea what the source of each is. As stated, you could end up backfeeding onto a circuit and someone might think it is dead since they've turned the supply off. Yikes....

Just because someone is selling some device that comes to your rescue, it doesn't mean it is legal, safe, an intelligent thing to do or that it will even work. I mean, how can you turn a 15 amp duplex receptacle into a 30 amp outlet??????? Check for UL or CSA approvals (or equivalent) on your electrical equipment and items. Offshore electrical products do make it into the marketplace without any safety approvals.

I feel sick just thinking of the potential consequences of this whole idea.

What you might think about though, other than a generator, is wiring your A/C to a separate/dedicated 15 or 20A inlet on the exterior and running a separate cord to another breaker if you can determine that it is supplied by another 15A breaker/circuit.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:32 PM   #45

Thanks murray: I park my rig at several different locations, and yes it would be nice to have 30 amp service at them all, but that is not going to happen. Right now with both air conditioners running my intellitec load meter shows 13 amps. Certainly it is higher at start up. I have seen a draw for a short period of time of 27 amps. If the fridge comes on it will go to 17 and that usually blows a 15 amp breaker. I understand the code violation would probably be a back feed. I know which plugs are on the same pole at all the locations and I am careful. There has never been any noticeable heat in the cords or the adaptor. My 7500 gen set is great except for the noise and the smell, so I, and my neighbors prefer that I do not use it. Everything works fine and I am sure I could go to another location and be safe. Happy travels!
firefly51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:40 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
Just an electrical engineer here... IMHO, this is a flippin' stupid idea. Fugedaboutit. Don't do it. It could end up being dangerous, causing personal injury, death and/or property damage. As mentioned, electrically it may seem like it *might* work, but I cringe when I hear of people thinking of actually thinking of doing something like this.

If you have 15 amp receptacles spread all over a site, you have NO idea what the source of each is. As stated, you could end up backfeeding onto a circuit and someone might think it is dead since they've turned the supply off. Yikes....

Just because someone is selling some device that comes to your rescue, it doesn't mean it is legal, safe, an intelligent thing to do or that it will even work. I mean, how can you turn a 15 amp duplex receptacle into a 30 amp outlet??????? Check for UL or CSA approvals (or equivalent) on your electrical equipment and items. Offshore electrical products do make it into the marketplace without any safety approvals.

I feel sick just thinking of the potential consequences of this whole idea.

What you might think about though, other than a generator, is wiring your A/C to a separate/dedicated 15 or 20A inlet on the exterior and running a separate cord to another breaker if you can determine that it is supplied by another 15A breaker/circuit.
Another EE seconding the dangers that ya'll are calling out.

And, of course, even if one ignores common sense and finds
two compatible 15A outlets to parallel, he's still not gonna
get 30A total. For that to happen, the resistances (and possibly
inductances) of both circuits would have to be exactly equal
from source (the pole-pig) to the point of the join. Not gonna
happen! Ohms law hasn't been repealed yet and the circuit with
the lower resistance will "hog" the current and pop it's
15A breaker before you get to draw 30A. When it pops the
other breaker will go immediately.

What a dumb, dumb idea. Sorta like the guy yelling
"WATCH THIS!"

Buy an extension cord and waste your time on something
more useful.........

cheers,
johnd
Medical research shows that men have a "biological clock" too. The older we get, the greater the NEED to drive a TRUCK!
dnaraG_1M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:50 PM   #47

Quote:
I used a multi meter and found the difference easily. It sounds like you would need an electrician to help you, but I had no problem.

RV Double 15amp MALE to Single 30amp FEMALE Adapter | eBay

Just trying to help
There is a really good chance that one of the male ends on that adapter is a dummy, with no power transferred through. So you would only be drawing power from one of the outlets.
I had a similar product for a different purpose, and it was like that.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:15 AM   #48

:beat deadhorse:
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:39 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post

But then again, some (dead) horses NEED beating ....lest
we have some dead PEOPLE!.......

cheers,
johnd
Medical research shows that men have a "biological clock" too. The older we get, the greater the NEED to drive a TRUCK!
dnaraG_1M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:15 PM   #50
Site Team - Lou

Then again, faith in one's convictions is a marvelous thing.
It matters not what logic dictates, or knowledge reveals.

"If you believe you are right; then go ahead..."
Davy Crockett
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:46 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
:beat deadhorse:
Beating a dead horse is better than burying a dead friend.
Just saying.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote