Old 06-25-2011, 02:08 PM   #1
Add breaker to converter

I have an Elixir 20A converter with one TBBD 15/20 Amp Ac Breaker --Twin Single Pole-- installed. I am adding a small window air conditioner and would like to add a second circuit breaker.
1. IS that easy to do? I took out the existing one and saw the wires but I am not sure how to connect the second one?

2. Does the second one have to be the same TBBD 15/20 Amp type breaker? Or can it be any single/twin pole breaker (two 20 Amps or two 15 Amps) and any make. I have seen some at Home Depot with a BR replacement designation:

Eaton Cutler-Hammer 15 amp 2 in. Double-Pole Type BR Replacement Circuit Breaker - BR215 at The Home Depot

3. What gauge wire will I have to get (#12)?

Would really appreciate your help.

p.s. I'll try to upload a picture of my simple ELX 20 converter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	elx20.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	6508  

jon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:57 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou
Well it certainly appears you have physical room to add up to 4 new circuits. Just remember that adding the circuit does NOT increase rated capacity of the camper.

You have a 20 amp main and feed wire. If you added 4 new 20 amp (or 15 amp) circuits you will still only be able to pull 20 amps total through the main.

If you add a 20 amp circuit you would use 12 gauge wire.

If you add a 15 amp circuit (recommended) 14 gauge wire (black, white, bare copper ground) will be lighter; easier to work with and the 15 amp rated GFCI outlet will be less expensive (required to keep the camper "code").

Increasing the main size will be a CERTAIN fire hazard if you did manage to draw more than 20 amps due to wiring in the feed line and the components in the power center.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:10 AM   #3
Thanks, man, for your quick and helpful reply. It all makes sense. Much appreciated. J
jon123 is offline   Reply With Quote