Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2018, 11:11 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
I got Battleborn's on discount I saw on the Ford Transit USA forum, 20% off. Maybe it will happen again, what did you want to know?
I am about to buy 2 of them. What price did you end up getting them at including shipping?
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 10:18 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Turf View Post
I have 100W on the (soon to be 200W) and 200W on the ground feeding into the Bogart 2030. I have the same mindset as richp. You should be fine with your current controller. The awning is an interesting mod. I have seen it on stick and brick buildings but never an RV. If you do it, please post some pictures and info.
I run 380 watts of panels through a GoPower 30 w PWM controller and seldom hit more than 17 amps according to the display on the controller.

6 100 Watt panels should just about top you out. Our camping partners have 800 watts on the roof, more or less flat and he hits about 38 amps around high noon and is very happy with a good quality 40 amp MPPT controller. Both of us happy with our set up.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 10:40 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
I am about to buy 2 of them. What price did you end up getting them at including shipping?
Look at WindyNation.com and Renogy.com. Renogy will cost a bit more, but their panel frames might be a little heavier and their roof mount brackets are wide and offer two screw hole on the roof side compared to Windy Nation.

You can also cross check them on Amazon, but price is about the same direct or through amazon.

We have installed a bunch of WindyNation stuff for our friends and out of about 20 WN panels we have installed, over the last three or four years, no problems have surfaced.

Been tempted try the Renogy brackets but so far the little WN z bracket have been just fine.

The WN kits are easy. He ships free UPS. We order the wire upgraded to 10ga from their standard 12 ga and be sure to order his better (about $15 buck more) PWM controller.

Then it takes some one inch #12 or #14 sheet metal screws,. Some extra 10 or 8 ga wire and some fuses -- OH and a tube of Dicor.

We then run a 2000 Watt Samlex pure sine wave inverter a few hours a day and check the batteries every few months. The trailer sits at our house when not in use. We never shut the main battery disconnect off and never have to even think about our state of charge. On day I might add two hundred watts more but probably not til I find a way to mount more batteries.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 10:45 AM   #24

I was asking about the battle born batteries.

I have 4 175W panels that were $160/each made in the USA. Renogy and Windynation are way too expensive for what you get.

The seller I bought my 175W panels from now have 200W in the same size for $185

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-200-Watt-...EAAOSwp7tadnMw
Old 02-28-2018, 01:40 PM   #25

Ok, I am getting ready to hook up my awning solar panels in my Isata 3 and took off the battery controller cover and don't know where the solar from the roof connects so I can add my additional panels. There is no callout on the information on the reverse of the cover that is the key to what is inside.
NealM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 02:44 PM   #26

Maybe the correct question is where is the Charge Wizard located?
NealM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 03:51 PM   #27

Solar Panels

The Solar Panels connect to the Solar Controller, If you already had solar installed from the factory you should have a "ZAMP SOLAR" Solar Controller (at least my 2016 has that brand) installed by the steps. If not you will have to install a solar controller. One side of the Solar Controller connects to the Solar Panels and the other side connects to the Batteries. Cable size will depend on Solar Array and wire length and Battery cable size will depend on cable length.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 04:04 PM   #28

Power Center

The Charge Wizard is part of the Power Control Center where all your circuit breakers and fuses are. That is not where you connect the solar panels. I have a Progressive Dynamics PD4060 in my 2016 Isata3. I will have to replace the Converter Section of it because I am installing 2 Battle Born Lithium Batteries next week and it does not have the right charging profile for them. I just installed 200W more solar this week to add to the 200W factory installed.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
Old 02-28-2018, 04:09 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
I just paid $899 apiece for two with a $50 Veterans discount from the factory. I bought them directly through Battle Born, got tired of waiting for a deal. Free shipping and no tax collected.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
Old 02-28-2018, 09:59 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmay12 View Post
I just paid $899 apiece for two with a $50 Veterans discount from the factory. I bought them directly through Battle Born, got tired of waiting for a deal. Free shipping and no tax collected.
That's pretty good. The best I have found is $925 so will likely get them at that price. Also free shipping and no tax.

Tags
solar, solar panel