Old 07-28-2017, 02:15 PM   #1

Adding an inverter for TV, comments please.

I recently purchased a new 2018 Flagstaff 25BDS and have been getting it ready for it's "Maiden Voyage" next Tuesday.

I want to be able to run the Furion 32" TV from the battery in evenings so I don't have to run the generator. While it's a new 3500 W Inverter and quite quiet, it still makes noise so I will confine it's use to mid-day to charge batteries (2) and for times I absolutely HAVE to run the Microwave (I can always make popcorn on the stove).

I have a small 600 Watt TSW inverter with remote control for on/off. I am considering mounting it in the space behind the Stereo and adding a second A/C outlet next to where the TV currently plugs in, marking it "Inverter, TV only". The TV draws a max of 45 Watts so calculated current draw to the inverter (including inverter overhead) is less than 10 amps. I should have enough capacity on the existing 12V wire in this space that powers the stereo and have no intentions to run anything else from the inverter unless I want to run some #6 wire from the battery selector switch. the inverter has it's own cooling fan and I am considering just adding some air vent holes to the bottom of the enclosure and some more at the top, near the ceiling. This should be sufficient to keep the compartment from heating up excessively.

Has anyone else done this? What flaws do anyone see with my "plan". The trailer is loaded with USB charging outlets that operate from the 12V system so I don't need to plug in a phone charger and my laptop charges in about an hour and a half from totally dead so it will get charged when the generator is running. For now, nothing but the TV will run on the inverter and I know 600 watts is overkill for a <100 watt load but price and quality was great. To prevent overloading the 12V feed I am even considering installing an inline 120V fuse rated for 1 amp. If someone plugs a coffee pot into the TV only reciptical the 120 V fuse will blow long before the load on the 12V line becomes excessive.

All comments and suggestions welcome.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan

"2004" Male Shih-Tsu Co-Pilot
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 03:14 PM   #2

Following...
I would like to add an inverter to my outdoor kitchen so the small fridge runs when on the road...

MarkyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 04:05 PM   #3

Out of curiosity, does the TV currently use a 110V to 12V dc adapter to power the TV or does the 110V line cord go directly into the TV?

I don't see an issue with your inverter plan and you don't need to fuse it. Most inverters have safety cutoffs that will shut the inverter down when 12V is low or AC current is too high. Read the inverter manual and it should tell you.

The sad thing is, the internal circuitry runs on low voltage DC so you are bumping 12V DC up to 110V AC and the TV is then converting that to low level DC.
babock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 05:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Out of curiosity, does the TV currently use a 110V to 12V dc adapter to power the TV or does the 110V line cord go directly into the TV?

I don't see an issue with your inverter plan and you don't need to fuse it. Most inverters have safety cutoffs that will shut the inverter down when 12V is low or AC current is too high. Read the inverter manual and it should tell you.

The sad thing is, the internal circuitry runs on low voltage DC so you are bumping 12V DC up to 110V AC and the TV is then converting that to low level DC.

The line cord goes directly to an AC outlet. My old "Analog/CRT" tv had both options, 120 V or 12 V.

Funny thing is, Furion does offer the 12V models but Forest River apparently doesn't want to add $30 to the cost of the TV they install.

2004 Nissan Titan

Old 07-28-2017, 05:35 PM   #5

I am actually picking up our first trailer in 3 weeks. It's a Coachmen. Will be interesting to see what it has. Hopefully it will have the 12V convertor I can bypass with just 12V.

Or I might take it apart and do that myself...Electrical Engineer here!
Old 07-28-2017, 05:50 PM   #6

Quote:
I am actually picking up our first trailer in 3 weeks. It's a Coachmen. Will be interesting to see what it has. Hopefully it will have the 12V convertor I can bypass with just 12V.

I did that long ago with a radio that I wanted to run off 12V.

Found that the line voltage was stepped down to ~24VDC then fed into a regulator that further reduced voltage to 12VDC and 5VDC.

Simply clipped the leads from the transformer output and fed with 12VDC which in reality ran as high as 14V when the engine was running. Worked like a champ. Only time I see that as an issue is when a 60hz reference frequency is required but I doubt anything made today is that primitive with the exception of a wall clock that runs on 120VAC.

2004 Nissan Titan

Old 07-28-2017, 05:59 PM   #7

Did a very similar install. Was able to locate the inverter close to battery so wire gauge was not an issue. Installed a dedicated 120V outlet for the TV/small AC devices. Also installed a cutoff switch for the inverter 12V input power.
pjnlorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 06:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjnlorrie View Post
Also installed a cutoff switch for the inverter 12V input power.
This inverter comes with a remote control switch connected by an RJ45 cable.

Once I get a feel for where things are in the TT and how big an issue it will be, I'm considering running a #6 wire directly to the inverter from the battery and possibly on to the converter as well. Just a matter of figuring out where I can run the wires with the "foam filled" walls. I'm thinking "through the basement" and coming up to the converter, then alongside refrigerator and behind microwave into the compartment behind the stereo. Other option would be to mount the inverter next to the converter then installing a DPDT Center Off switch to switch the AC circuit feeding the TV from Converter's AC distribution bus to Inverter and back as needed.

Still in the planning phase but am leaning toward "simple" for now.

2004 Nissan Titan

Old 07-28-2017, 06:14 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:

If it's a TT, pretty sure doesn't have an inverter, only a converter.
All RVs come with CONverters, from the factory. Very few, some motorhomes and some 5th wheels, also come with a factory INverter.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 06:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
If it's a TT, pretty sure doesn't have an inverter, only a converter.
All RVs come with CONverters, from the factory. Very few, some motorhomes and some 5th wheels, also come with a factory INverter.
I am talking about the small voltage transformer that comes with many televisions. Yes...they are also called convertors. I am talking about getting THAT convertor out of the circuit.

They are more common on smaller flat panel TVs...27" or less.

Tags
inverter