Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2017, 04:34 PM   #21

Worth a try. They are all over the map. I was disappointed that while ResMed is a DC unit, it runs on 24 volts. Most are DC with a power converter in the cord.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 05:23 PM   #22

I'm in a bit of a different situation. While I run mine in the RV (as does my wife, both S8's), I run mine completely off grid and out of the RV on a pair of L-Ion battery packs. I use mine for hunting trips more than in the RV and I have more than one.

Having one machine is like driving without a spare tire. If you have a flat (machine breaks), you are screwed.

I keep at the very least, multiple spares of everything, from humidifier tanks to hoses to filters to mask and mask parts,

Especially with me, one night without and I'm non functional, 2 nights and I'm a zombie. Been sleeping on a machine for over 20 years, every night.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 05:31 PM   #23

Me too. You get used to them and you can't live without them.

2015 335DS
Old 04-03-2017, 07:31 PM   #24

While not exactly directly on subject, I find it interesting the number of folks diagnosed with a sleep disorder who cannot adjust to wearing anything on their face while sleeping.

My neighbor was diagnosed and tried to adapt and could not and he even tried the minimal in his nose prong setup and got frustrated. He's still a zombie most times... My old boss, same thing. Could not adjust to a mask.

When I started out long ago, there was very limited selection available mask wise. I had no issues and I've always been adverse to anything on my face but after the first few restless nights, it was never an issue.

I started out with a gel mask that had to be heated and fitted to your face, then later on I switched to a Mirage Activa and I've been with that ever since.

Learned a couple tricks along the way. My big one is I run a long breathing hose, like 5 foot long and I put the hose under the covers with me. That way the air passing through the hose gets warmed by body heat and it keeps the humidified air (from my heated humidifier) from condensing in the hose and causing 'rain out'....

...and keeping everything clean. My mask gets washed in anti-bacterial soap and rinsed in HOT water every morning and my humidifier gets taken apart, I use a Fisher Paktel stand alone heated humidifier with a take apart chamber that gets washed every other day along with the hoses in the same anti-bacterial soap and a HOT rinse.

It only gets distilled water. My machine gets it's pre filter washed every 2 weeks and the inner filter changed out at the same time.

When I go on a hunt, I take extra masks with me as most times. cleaning can be an issue. Because I run on a battery pack (which I can charge from a 12 volt outlet in a car or truck or solar, I run with no humidification. The battery packs won't support that much current draw.

In the RV, current isn't an issue so the humidifier is on as well and the humidifier is 110 volt only, whereas the machine will run on 12 volts so the inverter and 110/60 cps current is a necessity.The humidifer on the S8's is integrated into the body. You can remove it and run without but the humidifier pulls it's power through the CPAP itself but at line voltage only.

My wife has her's and I have mine. 2 peas in a pod sleeping away....

We can run both S8's with humidification all night on a pair of Trojan's with the fridge running too and still have 70 percent battery reserve left in the morning. Couple hours on the Champion 2000 watt inverter genny in economy mode and the Trojans are back at full charge for another sleep night.

Works for us just fine and I'm happy and so is the wife.

I know thew 2 CPAP's don't tax the AIMS Power inverter at all. The internal cooling fan never comes on and the case is barely warm to the touch.

Glad I went with a 1000 continuous 1500 watt surge unit instead of a lesser output inverter. While it cost a bit more, it was worth the extra bucks. Main reason besides output and low idle current draw was the full shutdown remote. The Inverter is tucked away in the same bay where my FW tank, water pump and battery bank is so I don't have to access it at all. Just use the remote on and off button. It has a green LED to show it's energized.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:11 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdomokos View Post
I use a 1500 watt inverter to power out trailer from the shore power plug. I leave the batteries connected BUT turn off the converter via its breaker. The inverter like yours is directly connected to the batteries. Now I can run everything in the trailer. But be careful on what you use as it will drain your batteries.
This is exactly what I do. My wife uses a CPAP. I have a 1000 watt inverter and I plug the trailer directly into it. BUT...I always turn off the converter using the circuit breaker before I turn on the inverter. Works great.

I may be old but I'm trying, very trying.
2015 RAM 1500 - EcoDiesel
Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
OldBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:51 AM   #26

I use a CPAP, it has a converter that takes 110 ac to 12 DC... I now have a wire set up for it so I eliminate going from 12vdc to 110vac back to 12vdc.
It HAS to be more efficient this way
Camping on the brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:54 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping on the brink View Post
I use a CPAP, it has a converter that takes 110 ac to 12 DC... I now have a wire set up for it so I eliminate going from 12vdc to 110vac back to 12vdc.
Absolutely is, and if all you want is your CPAP to run, the most efficient way possible.

2015 335DS
Old 04-04-2017, 08:09 AM   #28

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
Absolutely is, and if all you want is your CPAP to run, the most efficient way possible.
Keep in mind that there are many different brands / types and all are different in input voltage and if the machine has a heated humidifier, the humidifier will almost always be 110 volt, 50 or 60 cycle.

Not concerned with 'efficiency'. I'm concerned with duty cycle.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:14 AM   #29

My heater is 12 volt also.
Just relating my setup, yes they aren't all the same
Old 04-04-2017, 08:18 AM   #30

I turned my heater and humidifier off two years ago when first tapping it off of my reefer inverter. Most of the load is the humidifer. Haven't turned it on since, in the RV at home or anywhere. Personally that works for me, but that is just me.

2015 335DS
Old 04-04-2017, 11:29 PM   #31

Quote:
Yes it sure is but...My wife's CPAP is 110v only so I have to use an inverter to create 110v.

Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
Old 04-05-2017, 04:48 AM   #32

I wonder if it would be better to buy a 12 volt CPAP?
Old 04-05-2017, 05:06 PM   #33

Quote:
I wonder if it would be better to buy a 12 volt CPAP?
A 150 watt inverter will power the CPAP just fine and they are quite inexpensive. Check out highly rated 150 watt inverters on Amazon. You'll be able to find one for under $30. As long as you have (or can make) a 12v power receptacle you're all set.

Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
Old 04-05-2017, 07:42 PM   #34

True, with the bonus of being able to run other 110 appliances

Tags
inverter