Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2018, 09:18 AM   #1
Ready to Go

Adding Inverter to run outlets off batteries

Folks currently if I am on batteries I have light and that is it. I want to add an inverter but how do I get it to all AC outlets without running new outlets and wiring? Can I add a type of switch in with my fuse/convert system?

Be nice with your answers I am new at inverter/converter. The videos on YouTube don't get to the meat of this question.

2001 F250 SD 7.3 Turbo
2013 Sanibel 39' 5th wheel.
JeffLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:35 AM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

You don't say what your planning to power up but the easiest way would be connect the inverter to your battery(ies) and plug the shore power cord into the inverter. (likely using an adapter)

Power off all the breakers in the load center except the outlets you want powered up.
Be certain to power off the converter breaker. You don't want to create an endless loop of the converter trying to charge the battery from the inverter.

Just remember, your total load is dependent on the size of the inverter.

Also. I'm guessing you have more than just "a light" on batteries. Few R/Vs have 120v lights most all are 12v. And, you have control boards for the refrigerator, (if LP) the water heater and furnace that all work off 12v too.
Many exhaust ceiling fans are 12v also.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:51 AM   #3

You may need more batteries depending on how much power you use.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:58 AM   #4
Always Learning

I did what 5Picker said- mounted my inverter near my batteries and then ran an extension cord from it to the shore power receptacle on the camper using an adapter. Honestly, it got a little annoying having to run the cord (and juggle cords when I was flipping between inverter and generator depending on what I wanted to run).

The one thing with this: make sure your converter is OFF. If your inverter is small enough, having the converter on will trip it into "overload" and shut it down. If your inverter is big enough, having the converter on will have you charging your batteries from the inverter, sending you into a death spiral that murders your batteries.

Since I know which 2 breakers power most of the outlets in my camper, my plan next was to keep the small-ish 1000W inverter and run extension cords to the circuit breakers - one from each plug on the inverter itself. I'll connect them to Xantrex 15amp auto-transfer switches. These will automatically use power from shore power if it's available and if not, will switch to the inverter (provided it's on, of course).

Down the road, I'll invest in a bigger inverter/charger (2000W or 3000W), will get rid of my converter, and will power a subpanel with just specific things running off of it. But, that's a ways off and honestly, I don't quite understand all of the details.

The one thing to be careful with - the more your power, the more you'll use of your batteries. Make sure you're monitoring their state of charge with something like the Victron BMV. It's easy to use a lot more power than you're expecting by "just running a couple of things" when all of the outlets are hot. I learned after the fact that my family ended up running a toaster, my wife's curling iron (a low power one), and we even tried running the ice maker off of it. I have a big battery bank so it wasn't an issue- but we learned that we definitely are NOT power misers.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:10 AM   #5

Both make good suggestions.

If you do go this route install the inverter as close as possible to the batteries to minimize voltage drop.

Also, I don't know if you have a stand alone charger plugged into the back of the panel, if you do it is likely connected to a breaker that also powers some outlets. If you turn that breaker off you would also lose power to those outlets unless you can manually unplug the charger and leave the breaker on.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:28 AM   #6

I think you should be looking at a generator depending on your needs. You would need some serious battery set up to run any length of time.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:01 AM   #7

All good ideas. Find out which breakers the outlets you want to power are on. Get a Kisaie automatic transfer switch for each breaker you want to power. I used Xantrex transfer switches but they require an additional metal junction box for each circuit and the Kisaie units are direct wire. Re-route the line from the panel to the transfer switch and then from the transfer switch to the outlets.

I would stay away from the galley outlets as most inverters won't power a toaster or coffee maker for very long (or at all.)

As others have said, make sure you aren't powering the converter with the inverter...circular load that will kill the batteries for no good use.

After that, the inverter will run when needed.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:08 AM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
Get a Kisaie automatic transfer switch for each breaker you want to power.
Link? I'm about to buy stuff to do this and if there's a better/simpler way, I'm all ears!

On edit, I Google'd it:
https://www.amazon.com/KISAE-Technol.../dp/B00IKVH9UK
Old 05-03-2018, 11:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Link? I'm about to buy stuff to do this and if there's a better/simpler way, I'm all ears!

Google'd it:
That is the ticket. Notice that you can connect the Romex directly to the switch box. The Xantrex makes you use a separate octagonal box. Kisae is easier and the same price.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:47 PM   #10

Quote:
I did what 5Picker said- mounted my inverter near my batteries and then ran an extension cord from it to the shore power receptacle on the camper using an adapter. Honestly, it got a little annoying having to run the cord (and juggle cords when I was flipping between inverter and generator depending on what I wanted to run).

The one thing with this: make sure your converter is OFF. If your inverter is small enough, having the converter on will trip it into "overload" and shut it down. If your inverter is big enough, having the converter on will have you charging your batteries from the inverter, sending you into a death spiral that murders your batteries.

Since I know which 2 breakers power most of the outlets in my camper, my plan next was to keep the small-ish 1000W inverter and run extension cords to the circuit breakers - one from each plug on the inverter itself. I'll connect them to Xantrex 15amp auto-transfer switches. These will automatically use power from shore power if it's available and if not, will switch to the inverter (provided it's on, of course).

Down the road, I'll invest in a bigger inverter/charger (2000W or 3000W), will get rid of my converter, and will power a subpanel with just specific things running off of it. But, that's a ways off and honestly, I don't quite understand all of the details.

The one thing to be careful with - the more your power, the more you'll use of your batteries. Make sure you're monitoring their state of charge with something like the Victron BMV. It's easy to use a lot more power than you're expecting by "just running a couple of things" when all of the outlets are hot. I learned after the fact that my family ended up running a toaster, my wife's curling iron (a low power one), and we even tried running the ice maker off of it. I have a big battery bank so it wasn't an issue- but we learned that we definitely are NOT power misers.
I do this and it works great! It did get annoying so I added an on/off Perko switch to turn off my converter. That way it’s only a few feet away from the inverter. I can plug in my cord with adapter to the inverter, turn off the converter and I’m good to go.
I also have my Honda generators right outside the front compartment so it’s easy to move the shore power cord from one setup to the other.
Havasu Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 01:14 PM   #11

Inverter power

On my camper I install a DPDT relay in the line that controls the outlets. One issue with this is that on my camper the line also controlled the frig and I didn't want the frig draining my batteries. I elected to solve this issue by putting the frig on the circuit with the 12 volt battery charging system. This may or may not be an option for you with your rig.
DocRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 01:47 PM   #12

I believe in making everything work seamless and mistake or forgetfullness proof which is why I installed an auto transfer switch and a separate subpanel.

I moved every breaker and line that I do not want running on inverter power on the second subpanel and I tapped my 30 amp line before an auto transfer switch to power it. Note: Some transfer switches allow you to do this within the transfer switch box easily. This way, my hot water heater, my air conditioner, and my converter are only powered by generator or pedestal power. I then installed a 30 amp automatic transfer switch that automatically switches to inverter power if generator/pedestal power is turned off and vice versa so I do not have to worry about switches etc..

This method gives me 120 volt ac power at every outlet in the RV to include microwave outlet without worrying by accidentally powering the hot water heater, air conditioner, CONVERTER, or other high power items when on inverter power.

A trimetric or victron battery monitor is a must so you can monitor battery capacity/usage and not regularly go below 50% state of discharge.

This tip assumes you have sufficient battery capacity to meet your power usage needs.

PS Use an inverter that allows ROMEX use. I'm a fan of Samlex PST inverters which are very reliable and have romex port.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 02:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
You don't say what your planning to power up but the easiest way would be connect the inverter to your battery(ies) and plug the shore power cord into the inverter. (likely using an adapter)

Power off all the breakers in the load center except the outlets you want powered up.
Be certain to power off the converter breaker. You don't want to create an endless loop of the converter trying to charge the battery from the inverter.

Just remember, your total load is dependent on the size of the inverter.

Also. I'm guessing you have more than just "a light" on batteries. Few R/Vs have 120v lights most all are 12v. And, you have control boards for the refrigerator, (if LP) the water heater and furnace that all work off 12v too.
Many exhaust ceiling fans are 12v also.

I concur with the above. At very least, put the inverter on a remote indoors, on off switch. Besure the Converter breaker is off and be very frugal with loads and duration. We have 220 amps of battery charged by 380 watts of Solar.

They easily top off bayteries in the morning sun by about 10:00 -11;00 am.

But remember, as a rule a 4 amp load at 120 v ac is then pulling 40 amps or a bit more from the batteries to feed the inverter. Our microwave is pulling about 100 amps from the inverter. In other words an hour running a microwave or a small electric heater and your useful battery power for the day is gone in an hour. A good pure sine 2000 Watt inverter is also pulling a static load by itself of 1-2 amps per hour and to power the whole coach without deliberately turning anything on, is going to pull a couple more amps so. I say again BE FRUGAL
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 02:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
I believe in making everything work seamless and mistake or forgetfullness proof which is why I installed an auto transfer switch and a separate subpanel.

I moved every breaker and line that I do not want running on inverter power on the second subpanel and I tapped my 30 amp line before an auto transfer switch to power it. Note: Some transfer switches allow you to do this within the transfer switch box easily. This way, my hot water heater, my air conditioner, and my converter are only powered by generator or pedestal power. I then installed a 30 amp automatic transfer switch that automatically switches to inverter power if generator/pedestal power is turned off and vice versa so I do not have to worry about switches etc..

This method gives me 120 volt ac power at every outlet in the RV to include microwave outlet without worrying by accidentally powering the hot water heater, air conditioner, CONVERTER, or other high power items when on inverter power.

A trimetric or victron battery monitor is a must so you can monitor battery capacity/usage and not regularly go below 50% state of discharge.

This tip assumes you have sufficient battery capacity to meet your power usage needs.

PS Use an inverter that allows ROMEX use. I'm a fan of Samlex PST inverters which are very reliable and have romex port.

Wow SIR, I am impressed, my hat is off. And ditto regards SAMLEX. Good company and good products.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 02:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
I would second this solution. Easy and mistake proof. I did a modified version of a sub-panel setup. With a subpanel you separate certain circuits into a smaller panel and power that panel with the inverter.

In our camper, all the outlets are on one circuit. So I did a one circuit version of the subpanel concept. The advantage is you don't need the actual subpanel. I disconnected the wires coming out of the breaker for that one circuit and ran a new wires to the inverter (which has a built in transfer switch). From the inverter, I ran new wires back to the load side wires (wires that were originally connected to the breaker). When shore power is present, everything operates normally. When shore power is off, the transfer switch automatically switches to the inverter to power only that one circuit. There is also an on/off switch on the inverter, so it can be turned off when in storage or during travel.

In our case, I did find the fridge was also on that circuit, so I could have moved that to another circuit, but I just make sure to switch the fridge from auto to gas whenever we are camping without shore power.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 03:15 PM   #16

Quote:

On edit, I Google'd it:
To keep it simple, I just wired my inverter directly to the batteries and put it in my front cargo hold for easy access, then ran a heavy duty extension cord to use the tv and a dvd player when boon-docking. No tie-in to the trailer's existing electrical system at all. As others have said, I didn't want any issues with unnecessary battery drain on my r-pod 180. I also added a battery disconnect to prevent any trickle draining, when its not in use. Very simple setup and does what I need.
genejennings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 04:08 PM   #17

We just installed an 1100 watt inverter. Since we do not have a pass through my husband wired from the inverter to an outdoor box under the TT to plug into and then into the RV. I put a sticker by the remote on switch for the inverter to remind us to turn off the breakers. Haven't tried it out yet. Plus I just bought this to plug into if we don't want to run the inverter. We also have a generator to charge the batteries. We will only be using lights, kitchen fan, bathroom fan, a couple of Laptops on occasion and maybe a tv. We just installed 2 6 V 230AH deep cell golf cart batteries. Cell phone and tablets can be charged in the truck while driving.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 04:20 PM   #18

X2 What 5picker said. That is how I run mine. It is the easiest. Just remember to turn off those circuit breakers especially the one for the converter. I did install one outlet inside the rig powered off of the extra plug in on the inverter just for really quick chores. My inverter has a remote on/off on a key fob which allows me to turn on/off the inverter without going outside. Like I said, it's only for the quick jobs. Other than that I plug into the shore power cord.

2017 Flagstaff 8529 IKBS Classic Platinum Edition
Beauty and Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 04:50 PM   #19
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffLynn View Post
Folks currently if I am on batteries I have light and that is it. I want to add an inverter but how do I get it to all AC outlets without running new outlets and wiring? Can I add a type of switch in with my fuse/convert system?
If it helps, I'm actually working on my design thoughts now in another thread:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...em-158886.html
Old 05-03-2018, 08:57 PM   #20
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffLynn View Post

Be nice with your answers I am new at inverter/converter. The videos on YouTube don't get to the meat of this question.
Plug the inverter in the camp mains socket BUT as the 1st reply says, flip off ALL the circuit breakers first then just turn on the one or two that service the mains powered appliances you intend to use. Remember to keep the appliance power consumption to below the max rated of the inverter.

I wired in a relay behind the mains inlet so that the inverter is isolated from the mains circuit when connected to mains power. When not connected to mains power, the inverter drops out and allows the inverter to supply to mains circuit.

Remember to isolate the batter charger/converter (should be a breaker for that too) otherwise your batteries will be in the loop, trying to get charge from themselves, a pointless exercise. Also turn off the hot water heater and make sure the fridge is running neither on gas or 12v. Both of these devices will consume heaps of power and if your inverter is under 1kw, will certainly exceed its capacity. I use a 600w unit but only use it to run my TV and sound bar, which is a big overkill. Everything else I leave on the 12v system.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, inverter