Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2015, 08:20 PM   #1

Adding second battery

If I want to add a second battery do I just put them in parallel with each other and the converter will charge them together or is it more complicated than that?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
LSUTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:28 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
While it is pretty much that simple, it can get complicated when you start talking about the "best" way to do it. What you describe will work just fine.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:41 PM   #3

Nope. It's pretty much just that simple. :-) The only thing you really want to watch out for is ensuring that the cable runs are equal in length. The converter/charger with be charging both batteries at the same rate.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 11:40 PM   #4

HMmm... That sounds familiar. I would still like to know the drawbacks to adding a second battery
doitdaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 11:59 PM   #5

Adding second battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by doitdaily View Post
HMmm... That sounds familiar. I would still like to know the drawbacks to adding a second battery

I can't think of anything other than space or maybe if weight was a concern. Jerry

Oh and make sure it's the same battery and close to the same age as the current battery. A new battery ran in parallel with an old battery will lessen the lifespan of the new one.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:06 AM   #6

Quote:
The only drawback to a second battery that I could even think of would be weight. You might be looking at adding another 60-70 pounds. If you are only using a battery while driving from A to B, it's probably not needed, but a full 24 hours without hook-ups might leave you in a pinch without the additional capacity.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:11 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
Nope. It's pretty much just that simple. :-) The only thing you really want to watch out for is ensuring that the cable runs are equal in length. The converter/charger with be charging both batteries at the same rate.
AND the positive from the camper goes to the positive of the first battery and the negative from the camper's frame goes to the last battery in the stack to keep the battery usage (charge/discharge) equal.

The wires in between the batteries should be exactly the same length and gauge; as well as the heaviest you can buy to keep the current loss between batteries as low as possible. The OEM wires to the converter and the frame don't matter as they are properly sized for the camper's current draw. The middle graphic implies that the camper wires also need to be equal length, but that is not correct.

As stated before, the only "drawbacks" are weight and cost. They also must be replaced in pairs if a two battery stack (all 4 if a 4 battery stack) when even one goes bad to keep the stack balanced.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4 12 volt batteries.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	75699  
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: pdf How to correctly interconnect multiple batteries to form one larger bank.pdf (106.1 KB, 64 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:34 AM   #8

Herk,

That first picture won't work for me.

LSUTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:09 AM   #9

There seems to be two different post at the same time asking the same Question? Maybe the moderators can combine them. It's called adding a second 12v battery. All answers are equally important.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:12 AM   #10
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUTiger View Post
Herk,

That first picture won't work for me.

The first photo is a screen shot from the attached PDF. You can read it there.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:24 AM   #11

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
The only thing you really want to watch out for is ensuring that the cable runs are equal in length. The converter/charger with be charging both batteries at the same rate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry01 View Post
Oh and make sure it's the same battery and close to the same age as the current battery. A new battery ran in parallel with an old battery will lessen the lifespan of the new one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
AND the positive from the camper goes to the positive of the first battery and the negative from the camper's frame goes to the last battery in the stack to keep the battery usage (charge/discharge) equal.

The wires in between the batteries should be exactly the same length and gauge; as well as the heaviest you can buy to keep the current loss between batteries as low as possible.

As stated before, the only "drawbacks" are weight and cost. They also must be replaced in pairs if a two battery stack (all 4 if a 4 battery stack) when even one goes bad to keep the stack balanced.

See what I mean? When you start talking about THE BEST way to do it, there is a lot to consider.

Quote:

Until you mentioned it, I don't see where anybody suggested there were cons to adding a second battery in either thread. But since you asked...some cons you might consider are the initial cost (battery, cables, mounting/box), upkeep expense (with two batteries, your twice as likely to have a failure), when it comes time to replace them, you will again "need" to buy 2 rather than 1, and then of course size and weight. Oh, and increased time to recharge.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery