Old 03-26-2016, 10:28 PM   #1

All outlets are on one circuit breaker

I've discovered that all the outlets in our new Rockwood 2304 KS share one breaker. Subsequently I can't make a cup of Keurig while using our ceramic heater. Or make a cup while making toast.
The question is, is there a way to shift outlets to other circuits? Or add additional breakers and redistribute the outlets ?

Old 03-26-2016, 10:52 PM   #2

You can add circuits but will still be limited to 30 amps. So if you have your WH on electric and are using your Keurig and an electrical heater you will be over the 30 amps and will trip your main breaker or the breaker at the pole.

caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 01:58 PM   #3

X2 on what Caper has said.
Old 03-27-2016, 03:37 PM   #4

Thanks.
What I want to do is divide the outlets into 2 separate circuit breakers. Then we can have heat and coffee, etc.
Old 03-27-2016, 04:20 PM   #5
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
I've added 2, independent from trailer wiring, circuits, powered right from pedestal.....using their circuit breaker
Old 03-27-2016, 04:33 PM   #6

DennyB yes you can do this. You will have to find the feed wire to the receptacles you want to make the new circuit and remove or disable this feed. You will need to run a new feed wire from the panel and install a new breaker, providing there is room. You may need to switch to a skinny double breaker.

What caper posted is still a concern. You only have 30 amps. Everything you use at the same time adds up until you go over 30 amps at which point instead of tripping a single circuit breaker you will trip the 30 amp main in the RV or in the campground power box.

A space heater, Keuric or toaster, hairdryer etc used together can exceed 30 amps very easily. The reality is you may have to shut some things off when using heavy drawing items.

Some people have gone further and have added a completely separate power supply panel box and have installed additional receptacles in the RV, for items like space heaters. In this case you can hook up to and used both sides of a 50 amp service with and adapter or if necessary use the extra 20 amp receptacle on the campground power post.

50 amp units are a little better off, but many times we have to stay where there is only 30 amps. Even we go into conservation mode and have to be very careful what we use together. Our 2010 Wildcat was 30 amps, it's a learning curve.
Old 03-27-2016, 04:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Thanks.
What I want to do is divide the outlets into 2 separate circuit breakers. Then we can have heat and coffee, etc.
Read my post 2.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 04:36 PM   #8

DennyB yes you can do this. You will have to find the feed wire to the receptacles you want to make the new circuit and remove or disable this feed. You will need to run a new feed wire from the panel and install a new breaker, providing there is room. You may need to switch to a skinny double breaker.

What caper posted is still a concern. You only have 30 amps. Everything you use at the same time adds up until you go over 30 amps at which point instead of tripping a single circuit breaker you will trip the 30 amp main in the RV or in the campground power box.

A space heater, Keuric or toaster, hairdryer etc used together can exceed 30 amps very easily. The reality is you may have to shut some things off when using heavy drawing items.

Some people have gone further and have added a completely separate power supply panel box and have installed additional receptacles in the RV, for items like space heaters. In this case you can hook up to and used both sides of a 50 amp service with and adapter or if necessary use the extra 20 amp receptacle on the campground power post.

50 amp units are a little better off, but many times we have to stay where there is only 30 amps. Even we go into conservation mode and have to be very careful what we use together. Our 2010 Wildcat was 30 amps, it's a learning curve.

Edited: Saw bob Caldwell posted as I was writing my post he is spot on.
Old 03-27-2016, 04:46 PM   #9

Thanks, that sounds like the hot ticket. We are on our maiden voyage with the new trailer. I did quite a bit of carpentry remodeling, properly made and sized drawers, shelves, a decent sized, yet conciderably lighter, medicine cabinet etc. but the newly discovered electrical problems will have to wait until we're home.
Unlike the loose plumbing fittings and bad shower caulking job that, like the popping circuit, revealed themselves as we used the new camper.
Old 03-27-2016, 04:53 PM   #10

1. Be advised that Code recommends running a circuit at only 80 percent of rated maximum load for "Continuous Use" - basically more than 30 minutes. So 24 amps on a 30 amp. service connection.

2. Remember that your converter/charger can draw quite a bit when it is first connected to shore power, as it will be recharging the battery.

Tags
breaker, electrical