Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2013, 10:01 PM   #1

Amazed that my PUP battery charged to 100% off TV

Took my Flagstaff 228 on a maiden voyage this weekend with no hookups. Ran the furnace at 65 degrees for two nights plus some water pumping (no use of lights) then towed home (2.5 hour drive). I was amazed to find my battery charged back up to 100% (12.70 volts) after the tow home running on accessory wire from 7-pole. I also ran the vehicle connected to the PUP for 30 minutes in-between night one and two.

I say amazed because I've read about 25 forum posts on the 'net insisting that the accessory wire will provide a trickle at best and should not be relied on to actually charge the trailer battery due to physics of the TV alternator and battery design.

So, did I experience a miracle or can a TV actually charge a trailer battery pretty well? My dealer thought so and actually recommended simply running the car for 30 minutes each day to recharge.

I do realize that running my vehicle at idle is a terrible waste of energy, and I normally wouldn't have done this except that I accidentally left the multimeter at home and couldn't check on remaining power after the first night. I haven't bought a generator yet either. But I didn't want my family to experience a bad second night, or it might have been their last
steamboatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:54 PM   #2

Called the vendor who installed my 7-pole wiring harness and accessory wire. They claim that is enough to charge the PUP battery and have never had complaints to the contrary.

I went out to my TV and got a 14v reading off the 7-pole harness. I then rechecked my battery after letting it set for 36 hours after getting a charge from the TV and it was still at around 95-100% (12.55 volts). As a final test, I turned a light on for 15 minutes just to get a draw on the battery and even after that I'm at 12.54 volts.

So, it seems that contrary to so many forum posts on the 'net, my TV can successfully charge my PUP's battery.

Am I missing something?
steamboatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:02 PM   #3
Site Team - Lou

Somehow you have managed to tap into the dark energy of the universe. Scientists have been looking for this portal for many years and you will begin receiving unsolicited emails from agencies willing to buy your invention for millions of dollars; provided you supply an up front filing fee.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboatscott
Called the vendor who installed my 7-pole wiring harness and accessory wire. They claim that is enough to charge the PUP battery and have never had complaints to the contrary.

I went out to my TV and got a 14v reading off the 7-pole harness. I then rechecked my battery after letting it set for 36 hours after getting a charge from the TV and it was still at around 95-100% (12.55 volts). As a final test, I turned a light on for 15 minutes just to get a draw on the battery and even after that I'm at 12.54 volts.

So, it seems that contrary to so many forum posts on the 'net, my TV can successfully charge my PUP's battery.

Am I missing something?
All kidding aside, I think of one word, conservation. You instilled minimum power usage. "you can't lose what you don't use". A 20 minute charge with the TV would wquate to about 3 amp hours- not much!
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote