Old 07-08-2019, 06:46 PM   #1

Amber porch light won't turn off?

This weekend after 2 years of near flawless camping experiences in my Wildcat 24RG I have a strange one. My Amber porch light will not turn off. This has never happened before as even 2 weeks ago when we were camping I was able to control it and turn it on at night and off during the day. I pulled the control panel and disconnected both Spade connectors from the switch that controls only that light fixture and it still stayed on. Somehow it must be getting back fed from somewhere else. I was under the assumption that each switch that controlled each zone of lights only went to that light or set of lights. My porch light is the only light controlled by this particular switch. How could this be getting power from somewhere else? I know this is a 12v system but my mind is thinking in terms of 120v and I know if I take the wires off my bedroom light switch there is no possible way for it to be fed from somewhere else. has anyone ever had good luck obtaining a wiring diagram from Forest River? I'm still waiting for a reply.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated!

kollinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:53 PM   #2

Do you have a remote control? If so, click it on and off with that.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post
Do you have a remote control? If so, click it on and off with that.
That's a good thought. I do have a remote control but I think it only controls my awning light, not my Amber porch light. I will stop by the trailer and check that though. Thank you for the suggestion.
kollinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 06:38 AM   #4

ditto on checking the remote control. i have one and it controls the awnings, slides, and the porch light. i was told that if you turn the light on with the remote you must use the remote to turn in off.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:28 AM   #5
Head Rambler

Agree with the above. Somebody turned the porch light on with the remote. If you turn it on with the remote, you have to turn it off with the remote. Ditto, the manual switch. You can't turn it on with one and turn it off with the other.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:39 AM   #6
Site Team

Agree with everyone, as this happens a lot.

Porch light wonít turn off

Did you know, according to Google: Pepsi was once the 6th largest military in the world?
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:48 AM   #7
PPST Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Agree with everyone, as this happens a lot.
Sometimes youíll agree with everyone just because you believe thereís safety in numbers.

Ken and Terry
2010 Georgetown 330TS being pushed by our
2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:58 AM   #8

to go a bit further i reread you initial post. i had a related issue with my porch light. it wouldn't turn on. i pulled the switch control panel and measured voltages and couldn't figure things out. one thing that i could not understand was why the hardwired switch was a momentary single pole double throw switch. if all it was doing was turning a light on or off you would not use a switch like that. other people from the forum responded with the info about the remote. there is a control panel elsewhere in the trailer that takes inputs from the hardwired switches or the remote. this control panel has the fuses for the devices it controls and it actually operates the device (porch light) based upon the inputs it receives. this is where the logic is that requires you to use the same device to turn it off that you used to turn it on.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:03 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Sometimes you’ll agree with everyone just because you believe there’s safety in numbers.

Now you made me edit my post #6 with links. LOL

Did you know, according to Google: Pepsi was once the 6th largest military in the world?
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 12:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
to go a bit further i reread you initial post. i had a related issue with my porch light. it wouldn't turn on. i pulled the switch control panel and measured voltages and couldn't figure things out. one thing that i could not understand was why the hardwired switch was a momentary single pole double throw switch. if all it was doing was turning a light on or off you would not use a switch like that. other people from the forum responded with the info about the remote. there is a control panel elsewhere in the trailer that takes inputs from the hardwired switches or the remote. this control panel has the fuses for the devices it controls and it actually operates the device (porch light) based upon the inputs it receives. this is where the logic is that requires you to use the same device to turn it off that you used to turn it on.
Finally this makes sense. I had the same "problem" with my porch light on a previous trailer; ended up chalking it up to trailer magic. THANKS Chickdoe, and Thanks to this forum!

Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light