Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2013, 06:23 PM   #1

Another battery question ...

Folks, the batery in my RV is dead ... My fault from a few years ago, it does not last at all anymore as I left it connected to the trailer and let it stay there through a harsh winter (read 10F for long periods of time).

I saw a batter with a reserved capacity of 210 amps at autozone for 110 bucks. It is not labeled marine or rv or deep cycle. I had an interstate Group 27 and it was adequate for me, I do not camp without power, it is just for emergencies.

Is that battery any good ? is the reserve capacity all I should pay attention to ? I do not want to pay hundreds of dollars for a trojan etc ....

Please help me and forgive me I won't let the next battery die the same death ...
Old 04-06-2013, 06:53 PM   #2
Jeffco, MO

I have used a marine battery that I purchased from Walmart for my trailers for about four years as my second battery wired in parallel. I do remove them from my trailer when in winter storage and I trickle charge them about every month to keep them charged. They have given me good service. Again, a marine battery with the most amp hours they sell.

Mary & Ted
2016 Silverback 33IK
2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD CrewCab Diesel/Super Glide Hitch
Days camped 09 -53, 10 -56, 11 -57, 12 - 55, 13 - 46, 14 - 50, 15 - 60, 16 -32
7 FROG Rallies (Goshen(4), Charleston, Amana(2))
tedstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:59 PM   #3

I would go for a dedicated deep cycle battery. Looking at Auto Zone web site do not see a deep cylce battery. Lots of Marine batteries with CCA ratings. Just my opinion.
spierce617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #4

I only need a battery for running the furnace through a night for emergencies. I have a small generator which will charge the battery next day of needed. The interstate already did that couple of times. I understand the sentiment, but I do not want to spend hundreds of dollars for something I might need 1.5 times in the next three or so years.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:15 AM   #5
Site Team

not sure where you're getting "hundreds of dollars" from.
i bought a couple deep cycle batteries from Costco that cost about $50 each.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:25 PM   #6

That is what I read in this forum, couple of hundreds for a trojan which is a true deep cycle.

It would help a lot if you gave a brand name & specifications so I could also grab the same deep cycle from Costco tomorrow rather than just saying "I got a couple of deep cycles for 50 dollars" I did not see any marine/rv hybrids for less then 75 dollars.

I guess this subject is so beaten do death everyone just says search. Well i tried, and came up empty except to get a true deep cycle. I am using verizon's mifi which is costing me dearly so I do not have the luxury of reading each and every post.

I guess I will just go buy the same battery ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
not sure where you're getting "hundreds of dollars" from.
i bought a couple deep cycle batteries from Costco that cost about $50 each.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:34 PM   #7
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goomph View Post
That is what I read in this forum, couple of hundreds for a trojan which is a true deep cycle.

It would help a lot if you gave a brand name & specifications so I could also grab the same deep cycle from Costco tomorrow rather than just saying "I got a couple of deep cycles for 50 dollars" I did not see any marine/rv hybrids for less then 75 dollars.

I guess this subject is so beaten do death everyone just says search. Well i tried, and came up empty except to get a true deep cycle. I am using verizon's mifi which is costing me dearly so I do not have the luxury of reading each and every post.

I guess I will just go buy the same battery ....
Nobody answers cause you are cranky. This is a volunteer forum.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:52 PM   #8
Site Team

Costco batteries have their Kirkland name on them.
they also sell Kirkland 6 volt golf cart batteries for about $75-$80.

i simply bought 2 of their their Kirkland marine/RV deep cycle 12v batteries. i've had them for the past 4 years with no problems.
they aren't true deep cycle but i dry camp nearly all the time and with the two of them and my Honda 2000, we've can go 4-5 days before i need to recharge.

have you looked at the Costco battery rack? it's been awhile since i last looked at them and battery prices have gone up.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Costco batteries have their Kirkland name on them.
they also sell Kirkland 6 volt golf cart batteries for about $75-$80.

i simply bought 2 of their their Kirkland marine/RV deep cycle 12v batteries. i've had them for the past 4 years with no problems.
they aren't true deep cycle but i dry camp nearly all the time and with the two of them and my Honda 2000, we've can go 4-5 days before i need to recharge.

have you looked at the Costco battery rack? it's been awhile since i last looked at them and battery prices have gone up.
Thanks, so you were talking about the hybrids, I was confused for a while there.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:02 AM   #10
Site Team - Lou

OK,

Maybe I can help a little bit.

1) The battery you are looking at is a "DP" or Dual Purpose battery. It is "good" for what you need. Obviously a "true" single purpose house battery would be optimum but you need to visit any solar power web site to get them (for the most part and pay the shipping).

2) 210 is RC in MINUTES not amps. To convert RC to amp hours, multiply by .4167 or 87.5 AH which is no slouch for a DP house battery.

You will be fine with this choice.

You should always remove your battery in the winter UNLESS you have it connected to a powered battery tender or 3 stage converter.
Herk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goomph View Post
Folks, the batery in my RV is dead ... My fault from a few years ago, it does not last at all anymore as I left it connected to the trailer and let it stay there through a harsh winter (read 10F for long periods of time).

I saw a batter with a reserved capacity of 210 amps at autozone for 110 bucks. It is not labeled marine or rv or deep cycle. I had an interstate Group 27 and it was adequate for me, I do not camp without power, it is just for emergencies.

Is that battery any good ? is the reserve capacity all I should pay attention to ? I do not want to pay hundreds of dollars for a trojan etc ....

Please help me and forgive me I won't let the next battery die the same death ...
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:27 PM   #11

Thanks Herk and Bikendan !

I was not trying to be cranky, just that when you do not have full internetaccess it is tough to read every post and and I was asking for help, heck, screaming for it. Paying for every byte is tough.

So that 210 RC battery will be good for 87 hours of one amp consumption, or 44 hours of 2 amp, and 11 hours of 4 amp right ? Did I understand it right ?

I realized how gone my battery is when I lost power at this CG and the lights were almost non existent with just the battery.

Meijers has a group 31 (supposedly, with cold cranking amps but called marine rv, so a dual purpose) or anything cheaper same specs Costco has, better price and if I grab it I will be just fine. All I will do is I will make sure it fits in my battery box. Right ?

I never camp without power so all I need is a night where CG power is gone, and I have "some" battery power and I do not freeze to death in 20F DEGREES And yes I keep my propane bottles full.

Thanks to all the people who try to help each other. I am aware that we are all volunteers and we do our best to help those who need help in certain areas ! Their dedication and help definitely do not go unappreciated ! Now if I could only get you folks to financially help with purchasing a new battery too HAHHAHAH it was my total stupidity to leave it connected over a winter .... What was I thinking I now have a battery tender and I have since taken the almost dead battery always home and plugged in but it is too late to recover it obviously.

Thanks folks !
Old 04-08-2013, 11:15 PM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Goomph,

The short answer to your "how long will it last" is yes.
The long answer is, of course, more complicated.

1) The "capacity" is rated new with zero cycles on the battery. As the cycles (charge-discharge) pile up capacity is reduced.

2) The AH of the rating is based on the ability of the batteries design to "give up" electrons at a given load for a period of time.

The thicker plates of a house battery are not very good at "giving up electrons" quickly but can do it over a long period of time. Thinner plates of starting batteries "give up electrons" easily and quickly but as a result don't have much staying power.

Think of a thin wipe with a lot of surface area. Squeeze it and water will gush out. Then picture a thick hard sponge and it will take a lot more effort to get the water deep inside the sponge to the surface.

Amp-Hour Ratings: Information from Answers.com

3) When you try to SUCK that water out at a rate higher than the water can get to the surface of the sponge, you run out of water till some can work its way out. Same with a battery. The more current you demand from a house battery, the LESS able it is to deliver its full rated load. See the attached graph.

If you pull LESS current than the rating, the battery will last longer than rated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery voltage and capacity Curve vs Discharge Rate.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	27483  
Old 04-09-2013, 09:38 AM   #13

Thanks Lou ! I get it now

I think I will try to find that battery which had CCA amps of 600 and no cranking amps specified and a reserve of capacity of 210 amps. It was definitely (much) heavier than my current battery so I am hoping it will be the right choice. It was in the marine/RV batteries area so it might just be a good hybrid. It was also bigger and heavier than the two existing marine/rv batteries. I hope I can find my meter and can measure my battery box to see it if will fit.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:28 AM   #14

CCA is "cold cranking amps"
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:29 AM   #15
Site Team - Lou

If the battery has CCA prominently displayed on the case; it is most likely NOT the battery you want.

While the bigger the CCA number is good for a truck battery, (it can deliver a LOT of electrons quickly to start a reluctant engine) it doe not tell you how long it will power your camper off the grid. In this case bigger is NOT necessarily better. Lots of thin waffled plates is a lot of weigh with "no guts."

RC is used to let you know how long your battery will power your truck's engine and accessories if the alternator or belt fails. This is a BETTER measure of how the battery will last in an RV environment because it is a measure of capacity. Batteries with high RC are not only "waffled" for more surface area; but thicker so there is more staying power.

Dual Use batteries typically "tout" both numbers.

Dedicated house batteries just have Amp Hours on the battery. They have thicker flat plates (more lead holds more electrons). Thick flat plates means more capacity BUT the limited surface area means that taking them out (and putting them back IN) is limited to the surface area in contact with the electrolyte. It takes longer to discharge one AND longer to charge one; since the electrons must "push the ones in front of them" deeper into the lead.

Battery physics way more complex than this. I am trying to explain the differences between battery types as best I can.

From the attached graph you can see that the deeper you discharge a battery before recharging it, the LESS number of times you can do it before the battery is ruined. That is why most people never let their battery decay below 12 volts before recharging it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Internals.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	27498   Click image for larger version

Name:	dod.gif
Views:	81
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	27499  
Attached Images

Old 04-09-2013, 03:08 PM   #16

I spent the morning hunting batteries And thanks, now I( get it. it was NOT touting the CCC at all, it was displayed next to the reserve capacity. I also found the exact same battery I have , and interstate, and it also has the CCC and the MCC and reserve capacity (160). next to it they have a group 29 interstate, another marine/rv deep cycle, with a reserve capacity of 210 amps (149 bucks) . Checked Autozone and they had a group 29 with a reserve capacity of 210 amps for 122 bucks.

The autozone one is Autocraft brands of course, and is labeled as a Deep cycle and the marine/RV pro .... I am tempted to grab it save me 30 bucks ... it should better than what I had. of course if auto zone gets these done on the cheap side I will not be saving money. is their brand reliable ?
Old 04-09-2013, 03:23 PM   #17
Site Team - Lou

Any AH capacity above 70 will work for you.
(Any RC above 168 minutes)
Old 04-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Any AH capacity above 70 will work for you.
(Any RC above 168 minutes)

Thank you !!!

I love this forum !
Old 04-09-2013, 03:38 PM   #19

And since I am visiting the Surveyor factory to pick up my new furnace tomorrow, I will see if I can snap up some led bulbs for the interior of the trailer That WILL definitely help !
Old 04-11-2013, 07:45 PM   #20

Grabbed a group 29 duralast for 95 bucks, with a RC capacity of 210.

Thanks for all the help folks. Lost power for a short while and the interior lights were pretty close to how they were with the power on !

They also had Optima ones for over 200 dollars. Do they fit into the regular battery boxes ?