Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2012, 09:29 PM   #1

Another Charging Question

My Chevy 2500HD not only has two batteries, but also has two 125 amp alternators. I have not yet figured out if they are simply in parallel, or if there is some form of isolation.

I am thinking that I should be able to use a bunch of that 250 amps to charge the batteries in my new 5er. Can I get by just with a fuse, or will I need an isolator?

The dealer just called and said that I will be able to pick up the Puma on the 7th. That is two weeks earlier than originally estimated. Now, I have to hustle to get the truck ready. When is the last time anybody complained that the dealer delivered their RV too soon?

This morning, I ran out and grabbed two Champion 2000W inverter generators that were on sale for $499. Not knowing what to expect, I hoped for the best and was prepared for the worst. Happily, I was impressed with them. They are every bit as quiet as the 2000W Honda. Hooked together, they run my table saw but I haven’t had time to do any real load testing.

Joel
Great Horned Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:23 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Your truck was delivered with the charge lines to the bargman plug disconnected. Here is what you need to do to connect it.

You may need to buy a 10mm nut at AutoZone or Lowes to put on the post since my truck was not equipped with one.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Installing Auxiliary 12-Volt Feed to Trailer.pdf (457.4 KB, 49 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:23 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769
Your truck was delivered with the charge lines to the bargman plug disconnected. Here is what you need to do to connect it.

You may need to buy a 10mm nut at AutoZone or Lowes to put on the post since my truck was not equipped with one.
As herk said the charge line is to the plug already.
You may have to put a fuse in the engine compartment fuse box and connect the tapped back wire.
My owners manual clearly describes this.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:00 AM   #4

Thanks guys, but not quite what I was looking for. I guess my question wasn’t clear.

The truck is a used 2011. The previous owner already did the mods to get power into the Bargman. However, given the wire size and length within the truck and also in the trailer, I will be surprised if I can get more than around 10 amps of charging current through the Bargman connected circuit.

I am thinking about running an additional circuit using something around 2 AWG cable directly from the truck’s voltage regulator to the trailer batteries. 50 amps or so would do a much better job of charging.

Joel
Old 06-28-2012, 07:53 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

According to a book I have this is a bad idea.
Here are 3 pages from the book (I highly recommend you buy it) that explains why.

The book is "Managing 12 VoltS" by Harold Barre.
Amazon.com: Managing 12 Volts: How to Upgrade, Operate, and Troubleshoot 12 Volt Electrical Systems (9780964738621): Harold Barre: Books
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Automobile Alternators as Chargers.pdf (805.9 KB, 29 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:54 AM   #6

Thanks, Herk. That looks like a good book. I'll order copy.

Still, it seems a shame to waste all that surplus 250 amp alternator capacity. What would you think of installing an inverter in the truck and running 120 VAC back to the WFCO converter/charger in the trailer?

Tags
led pad