Old 08-15-2016, 12:23 PM   #11

I did check right at the converter. Can you explain to me about open wires?

I will take the battery to get tested.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:28 PM   #12

What they are saying about open wires is... if you check the voltage coming directly out of the converter (at the converter itself) and it is OK and your battery is still not charging, you need to check for open wiring somewhere between your converter and the battery.

This is not your case. You've indicated you checked the voltage directly at the battery (with converter on) and it was 13.5 volts, indicating the wiring between the battery and the converter is OK.

TST Tire Monitor - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
2016 Nights Camped = 46
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 12:51 PM   #13

Thanks. Yes, it is consistent at both the converter and the battery.

Assuming the battery is good (I will bring it in today to get checked), this is my theory... The converter is half working. It works at 13.6V, but since it will not go into bulk mode at 14.4V (and nothing seems to be creating enough draw to cause this problem), the battery is not getting enough charge quickly enough to enable it to charge with the generator on for a couple of hours. I read that it can take up to 70 hours to charge a 12V battery to full with just 13.6V and 55 amps. Apparently 14.4V cuts it down to 12 hours for a 90% charge and there are new converters that will charge to 90% in 2-3 hours. If I have to replace the converter, I think I will go that way.

Am I out to lunch or does this sound possible?
Old 08-15-2016, 12:52 PM   #14
2012 Solera

Hard to troubleshoot without being there, but a few thoughts-
1) Do you have an ammeter? What you need to confirm charging is to measure amperes going into the battery. Turnpike all off, disconnect one battery terminal completely, hook the ammeter in series, and turn on for charging. Should read lots of amps going into the battery (I would expect 8 or 10 amps). If little or no amperage, your system is not properly charging. A clamp on ammeter can do this without disconnecting.
2) Do you have, or can you get (buy or borrow) an automotive type reasonable amperage (e.g. Greater than 5 amp) battery charger? Use it to charge your battery (at least several hours, better overnight). Hook the battery back up - if it still dies in 5 minutes, bad battery or VERY high drain.
3) It sounds like you are measuring the converter voltage with the battery disconnected - the converter should rapidly get the battery voltage (when it is connected and turned on) to 13+ volts. If not, I would suspect the charge current is not flowing into the battery. One common cause is corroded high resistance battery terminal connections. Voltage from the converter at the wire, but high resistance terminal prevents current flow to battery. (Lots of other potential causes, but this is a common one).

I also doubt you have two fairly new bad batteries (though running the dead may have somewhat damaged them). Sure would try to fix your charge circuit before throwing another battery at the problem...I
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 12:58 PM   #15

Check for tiny black button on side of connection by the batteries. See third connection down from top on mine was tripped. Also check connection by the batteries where all the ground wires are attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160728_131853.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	366.7 KB
ID:	117363  
Old 08-15-2016, 03:15 PM   #16

I simply have a hard time believing if you had the battery charging via the converter at 13.5v for the better part of a day and you unhooked the wires and checked and had static volts at 11.6, that there isn't something wrong with the battery.

Have you by chance put a stand alone battery charger on it and checked how the battery does?
2016 Nights Camped = 46
Old 08-15-2016, 03:18 PM   #17
Head Rambler

If your battery is at 10 volts or so, it's going to take a lot longer than a couple of hours to recharge it.

You really need to get a load test on that battery. Even though it's new, it could still be bad.
Old 08-15-2016, 03:20 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I simply have a hard time believing if you had the battery charging via the converter at 13.5v for the better part of a day and you unhooked the wires and checked and had static volts at 11.6, that there isn't something wrong with the battery.

Have you by chance put a stand alone battery charger on it and checked how the battery does?
He is reading it with the converter running. The converter is working the 12volt systems, but not getting back to the battery.
Old 08-15-2016, 03:38 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVtx View Post
He is reading it with the converter running. The converter is working the 12volt systems, but not getting back to the battery.
I asked him if he checked the voltage at the battery.
He said it was 13.5v at the battery with the converter on and then disconnected the wires and had 11.6v.
How could the converter voltage not be getting back to the battery?
2016 Nights Camped = 46
Old 08-15-2016, 03:40 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I asked him if he checked the voltage at the battery.
He said it was 13.5v at the battery with the converter on and then disconnected the wires and had 11.6v.
How could the converter voltage not be getting back to the battery?
He is reading it on the cable. bad ground not getting to battery.

Tags
converter