Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2015, 08:52 AM   #21

Please go to the Progressive Surge Protector web site. We all who own one have said all that can be said to endorse Progressive. We know Progressive protects. A full timer told me about his experiences with others - only one he would recommend is/was Progressive.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:46 AM   #22
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
x2
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:53 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. J. Schuler View Post
Please go to the Progressive Surge Protector web site. We all who own one have said all that can be said to endorse Progressive. We know Progressive protects. A full timer told me about his experiences with others - only one he would recommend is/was Progressive.
Got me convince...just ordered one
Thanks all for your comments
Pierre Allard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:01 AM   #24
Site Team - Lou

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ers-26202.html

This unit from Frank's Electronics not only protects your unit from surges, spikes, high and low voltage; it can "repair" incoming low voltage that can damage your air conditioner's compressor over time!
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:21 AM   #25
Left Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post

This unit from Frank's Electronics not only protects your unit from surges, spikes, high and low voltage; it can "repair" incoming low voltage that can damage your air conditioner's compressor over time!
$.....you giving any away?
Old 03-31-2015, 10:29 AM   #26
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
$.....you giving any away?
Yes sir, they are not cheap; but way cheaper than a new air conditioner or compressor repair; certainly cheaper than buying BOTH a EMS and autotransformer separately.

Saved me THOUSANDS at this campground!

Do you REALLY know what is in that pedestal?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1398.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	72617  
Attached Images

Old 03-31-2015, 10:41 AM   #27
Left Coast

Quote:
Yes sir, they are not cheap; but way cheaper than a new air conditioner or compressor repair; certainly cheaper than buying BOTH a EMS and autotransformer separately.

Saved me THOUSANDS at this campground!

Do you REALLY know what is in that pedestal?
NO......your meter looks like it pushed the 'tilt' button. So far, I've been lucky. Don't know if these type problems show up more in the Eastern areas or not because the campground are older and have more usage or just live in a more harsher element.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:54 AM   #28
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
NO......your meter looks like it pushed the 'tilt' button. So far, I've been lucky. Don't know if these type problems show up more in the Eastern areas or not because the campground are older and have more usage or just live in a more harsher element.
Each campground is unique but they can all have problems.

A 50 amp service, for example, can lose its Neutral in the pedestal (broken or burnt wire) and put 220 volts on your 120 volt appliances.

Campground transformer fault putting out higher or lower voltage than proper.

High resistance connections at the sockets due to plugging and unplugging "hot" (not tripping off the breaker before hooking up and disconnecting) or loose blades in the socket. This reduces available voltage because of the higher than normal resistance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ALOvht04JS.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	72619  
Attached Images

Old 03-31-2015, 10:58 AM   #29
Left Coast

Quote:
Each campground is unique but they can all have problems.

A 50 amp service, for example, can lose its Neutral in the pedestal (broken or burnt wire) and put 220 volts on your 120 volt appliances.

Campground transformer fault putting out higher or lower voltage than proper.

High resistance connections at the sockets due to plugging and unplugging "hot" (not tripping off the breaker before hooking up and disconnecting) or loose blades in the socket. This reduces available voltage because of the higher than normal resistance.
Wow......somebody let the 'smoke genie' out.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:33 AM   #30
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

In the past I had a 30 amp extension cord plug ends corrode and heat up. It dropped the voltage and shut down my $3,000 fridge to the point where I needed to reboot a circuit board in the back of the unit. Now I have a 50 amp hardwired surge protector inside my RV away from the elements. It makes for a happy camper.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:54 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Evans View Post
Just bought ours and will be installing it (hardwire version) this weekend
Ditto. Got the hw30c (supposed to be delivered on Friday) and between hiding Easter Eggs will be installing it too this weekend
Old 03-31-2015, 12:45 PM   #32
Left Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by deartruc View Post
Ditto. Got the hw30c (supposed to be delivered on Friday) and between hiding Easter Eggs will be installing it too this weekend
I would think with the winter thing there, as long you didn't color 'em, you could just about drop 'em anywhere.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:28 PM   #33

$90 USD seems a bit expensive on a simple surge protector. Why can you not use a surge strip from Walmart that is less expensive?

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 02:31 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaker View Post
$90 USD seems a bit expensive on a simple surge protector. Why can you not use a surge strip from Walmart that is less expensive?
Because a WalMart surge protector is good for 15A, not 30.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 02:44 PM   #35

Quote:
I would think with the winter thing there, as long you didn't color 'em, you could just about drop 'em anywhere.
Just not near the brown eggs the dog has been leaving all winter!

Old 03-31-2015, 02:47 PM   #36
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
Because a WalMart surge protector is good for 15A, not 30.
Additionally, a surge strip is only good for ONE surge. When the light goes out (or the red led comes on depending on model), the strip will no longer work (as a surge suppressor; it will still work as an extension cord). It is also the SLOWEST at reaction time. The faster the response and higher the bypass, the more expensive the protection.

It also does nothing for excessively low, excessively high, or totally incorrect (miswired) sockets being supplied by the campground.

The camper you save may be your own.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:41 PM   #37

This is what we have and it has saved us once. Cheap insurance

Portable Surge Guard with LCD Display, 50 Amp - TRC 34850 - Surge Protectors - Camping World
DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:47 PM   #38

Definate peace of mind knowing you have installed one.
Pitcrew18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:12 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitcrew18 View Post
Definate peace of mind knowing you have installed one.
Is it? What follows demonstrates why some "most expensive" protectors can even make surge damage easier. In rare cases, even create a fire.

Which surge is a concern? This subjective term can be about too little current, overvoltage, too much current, a sharp spike, noise, polarity reversal, floating ground, too little voltage, harmonics, frequency variation, ... Which anomaly does your surge protector protection from?

Protectors that are profitable scams are one shot devices. No effective protector fails on its first anomaly. By grossly undersizing it, then a majority (who forget concepts even taught in junior high science) will recommend that grossly undersized and obscenely profitable 'magic box'.

Asus computer boards can report a surge. That is a low voltage. Computer USB port can report a surge. That is too much current. Neither do what a 'whole house' protector is for in homes. Surge protectors for RVs are for completely different anomalies such as reversed polarity or low voltage. To protect motorized appliances from something that does not harm electronics.

One can never recommend any protector without first defining what it does - with numbers. Any recommendation without spec numbers is best considered bogus. Some RV protectors will only protect from an overvoltage. Others might also protect from surges due to direct lightning strikes. The word 'surge' can mean most anything. Naive consumers assume that near zero protector circuit in a power strip will also do what an RV protector must do. Because most use word association rather than concepts even taught in school science and math.
westom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:31 PM   #40

Quote:
If you travel around, into area campgrounds you know nothing about or it's clientele, the hardwired one is the one. Remember, camping doesn't make people honest. Also, once it's there. it's always there.
Agree to a point - In 30+ years of camping I have never had anything stolen from my campsite. Then again, why encourage theft? We use a 1/4" Cable lock to secure our Progressive EMS to the Pole

Quote:
Has anyone taken the one like the original poster posted apart to see if they're a 1 time user thing if the surge part is hit by a power problem?
The Progressive EMS is a multi-use, Lifetime warranty Electrical Management System.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. J. Schuler View Post
X-howmanyever Progressive is the way to go IMHO.

Quote:

MAN That is a nice unit Lou - and I would have probably considered it had I known about it prior to getting our Progressive. Looking at the Progressive and the Frank's, it looks like the only thing the Frank's unit offers over the Progressive is the voltage boosting?

If so, perhaps the Progressive is a reasonable compromise (at half the price)?

(For those that do not know, the progressive will turn off your power if it reports low voltage whereas Frank's claim to fame is boosting the voltage and keeping the electricity flowing to your unit)
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote