Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2013, 03:00 PM   #1

Any potential issue/disadvantage if I have a solar system installed

So I've been thinking about getting a solar system installed on the new GT 351DS that I've yet to pick up from CA at the end of this month. I've new to RV'ing. I've been reading about all the great things a solar system can do. But before I pull the trigger, would anyone please remind me of any potential issues/disadvantages a solar system may incur?

I don't plan to live FT in the coach. It'll mostly be weekend trips, a couple week-long road trips every year, etc. Me and hubby are both still working, in our mid-30s.

Thx!
emeraldlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:25 PM   #2

If all of the places you expect to stay will have electric service, there is no need to spend the money on solar.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:28 PM   #3

disadvantages: weight, cost, increased maintenance, a little extra worry during a storm.

advantages: freedom of sites, freedom from generator noise, save a little money at no electric sites, quiet
Old 10-22-2013, 03:28 PM   #4

The drain on your bank account would be the only drawback I can think of. Solar systems are great, and they have come become more common. Just make sure it's installed by a qualified shop and they use good quality components, properly sized wire, and do the work neatly.

Good luck - either way I'm sure you'll enjoy the new RV.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:39 PM   #5

I would question how much solar energy and battery AH is needed to get through a day and night. If you run your ice maker, TV's, lights, microwave, hair dryer, electric blanket and computer each night. Can you expect the batteries to carrier the normal daily and nightly load while the solar panels are charging what was lost overnight. What will be the weight, footprint and cost needed to keep the batteries charged enough to do it all again for another day and night?
GaryCox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryCox View Post
I would question how much solar energy and battery AH is needed to get through a day and night. If you run your ice maker, TV's, lights, microwave, hair dryer, electric blanket and computer each night. Can you expect the batteries to carrier the normal daily and nightly load while the solar panels are charging what was lost overnight. What will be the weight, footprint and cost needed to keep the batteries charged enough to do it all again for another day and night?
this concept is not for the faint of heart, or weak wallet. Essentially a solar system isn't cost effective for living an average life on 120 vac. The batteries, inverter and solar would be a huge expense. I'm not saying it hasn't been done. One would have to be ready for cutting back on things like hair dryers and air conditioning and other power hogs.

Tags
led, solar