Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2011, 02:16 PM   #21

Thanks Wayne... guess I physically need to remove the detector to try to find it? Does its power source indeed bypass the panel (recall I couldn't find a fuse or breaker to shut it off)? Thanks for any additional info you can offer. Appreciated, Larry
Old 08-02-2011, 07:57 AM   #22

the fuze on mine is the same. i get to it inside the cargo bay. don't have to take anything apart. on mine, the back side of my dectector is in the cargo bay.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:42 AM   #23
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_C View Post
We have a high pitch whine in our Rockwood Signature, neither the wife or myself can hear it. (age is good for somethings) It does not seem to bother the dogs, however, the grandkids and younger people hear it no problem. I traced it to our propane leak detector, located near the converter. I take the fuse out for the detector, no whine. Put it back in and the whine is back. Test was done without the kids knowing the fuse was in or out.
Our detector did it right from day one. Called the dealer and they sent a new one out that day. Took about an hr to change as I soldered and heat shinked the wires. Problem gone. I was the only one who could hear it but I would not even sit in the trailer it bothered me that much and I spent 20 years working on fighter aircraft.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:31 AM   #24

if u keep ur battery connected and disconnect the shore power and the squeel is still there, it isn't the converter.
the latest post abt the detector sound more like it.
if u can get to the converter, try unplugging it and see if it goes away. i would suspect more of a 60 cycle hum from the converter.
i have problems hearing the detector but can hear 60 cycles. at one time, i could hear the fly back transformer on a tv. but now i can't. worked near steam trubines too long.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:08 PM   #25

Mine has done this since new. I was told by some of the guys on the open road forums that that was normal. I usually leave a light on to get it to stop.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:20 PM   #26

Mine just makes one beep when disconnectiong the battery for storage. My old trailer (1999 Terry) qwas the same way. Wayne
wayne anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:10 PM   #27

Mine was indeed caused by the LP detector (Safe-T-Alert model 35-742).

Thanks to all who suggested I not just focus on the convertor. Was fooled by the proximity... would have sworn the sound was coming from there!

Thanks to the same folks who guided me that it might share a fuse with the kitchen appliances. That was the case. Pulled the fuse, noise immediately stopped, unscrewed from wall, snipped and capped the wires, then shipped it off to dealer for a repalcement. All is good!

FYI, in the meantime we took comfort in the plug-in model (9 volt backup) that my wife insists we always run as a backup! Heck, for $40 bucks, why not! Turns out her fears came true (i.e. faulty built in detector).