Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2019, 01:56 PM   #1

Anyone know anything about this battery?

I'm doing my shopping now as I may need to replace my batteries later this season. Currently a pair of 12V grp 29 Interstate Deep Cycles are doing the job.

In my "surfing" I ran across this:

https://www.lithiumion-batteries.com...on-battery.php

First, it's a 300 amp hour battery in a BCI 8D format but weighs just under 100 lbs. LiFeP0 4 technology with built in "Battery Protection System".

What intrigued me about their battery is the following:

Quote:
FOR ANY APPLICATION THAT CURRENTLY USES A LEAD ACID, GEL OR AGM BATTERY. SIMPLY TAKE OUT YOUR OLD BATTERY, PUT IN THE SMART BATTERY, CONNECT THE TERMINALS AND YOUR READY TO GO.
If I read this correctly there is no need to change one's converter to a "Lithium capable" converter or make any adjustments to a coach charging system.

Price is about the same as three 100 amp hour Battle Born batteries but not having to replace a converter is a savings there alone.

This battery is 70 amp hours more in capacity than a Trojan 8D AGM and Over 65 pounds lighter.

Actual spec's are 324 Ah even though it's branded "300 Ah" and weighs only 95 lbs.

Anyone know anything about this battery beyond what's advertised online? Experience?

They advertise up to 5,000 cycles so If I were to install one, use it every day to 50% or so, it would last me over 13 years. By then I'd be over 90 and would probably be worrying more about my pacemaker, scooter, and hearing aide batteries

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 02:04 PM   #2

Lithium batteries are magic. Everything about them is superior except the cost. They can be regularyl discharged to 20% with no ill effects. They will come back from 0%. They are small and light and last a long time.

AGM batteries are a good compromise of cost and function.

Wet cell acid lead batteries arte actually very poor performers and can only be discharged to 95% without impacting their battery life.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 03:51 PM   #3

See if your converter is ok to charge lithium . might not be the right charge rate for that ask manufacturers.
ejohnson1144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 04:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I'm doing my shopping now as I may need to replace my batteries later this season. Currently a pair of 12V grp 29 Interstate Deep Cycles are doing the job.

In my "surfing" I ran across this:

https://www.lithiumion-batteries.com...on-battery.php

First, it's a 300 amp hour battery in a BCI 8D format but weighs just under 100 lbs. LiFeP0 4 technology with built in "Battery Protection System".

What intrigued me about their battery is the following:

If I read this correctly there is no need to change one's converter to a "Lithium capable" converter or make any adjustments to a coach charging system.

Price is about the same as three 100 amp hour Battle Born batteries but not having to replace a converter is a savings there alone.

This battery is 70 amp hours more in capacity than a Trojan 8D AGM and Over 65 pounds lighter.

Actual spec's are 324 Ah even though it's branded "300 Ah" and weighs only 95 lbs.

Anyone know anything about this battery beyond what's advertised online? Experience?

They advertise up to 5,000 cycles so If I were to install one, use it every day to 50% or so, it would last me over 13 years. By then I'd be over 90 and would probably be worrying more about my pacemaker, scooter, and hearing aide batteries
MMMmmm If you put that on an auto you better make sure its in neutral or park before engaging the starter motor.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:27 PM   #5

Battle Born Batteries:
  • 100 Amp Hour, 12 Volt Battery
  • LiFePO4 Chemistry
  • 3000- 5000 Cycles*
  • 100 Amp Continuous Current
  • 200 Amp Surge Current (30 Seconds)
  • 1/2 second surge for higher loads
  • Drop in Replacement for Lead Acid Batteries
  • Acceptable Voltages 14.4 – 14.6 for bulk charging
  • 10 Year Warranty
  • Designed and Assembled in the USA
  • 31 lbs

Lithium Ion Smart Battery®
  • The Smart Battery SB300 12V 300AH Lithium Ion Battery is the perfect replacement from a 8D AGM, GEL or Lead Acid Battery. The SB300 is designed as a "drop in replacement" meaning all you have to do is take out your old group 8D battery and place the SB300 in the same way.
  • Nominal Voltage 12.8V
  • Charge Voltage 14.4V - 14.6V
  • Cold Cranking Amps / Peak Discharge (5 Sec) 3000A
  • Continuous Charge / Discharge Rate 100A
  • Capacity (amp hours) 324AH
  • Weight 95 Lbs

Charging sources:
  • Alternator: Most alternators will sufficiently charge Smart Battery® lithium ion technology
  • Inverter: Most inverters have a way to set or program the charging voltage. Lithium ion batteries need to be charged as close to 14.4v - 14.6v as possible to get a full charge.
  • Standard charger: A standard battery charger will charge Smart Battery® lithium ion technology due to our advanced built in Battery Management System.
  • Lithium Charger: Purchase a Smart Charger from Smart Battery® specifically designed to charge our lithium ion batteries up to 14.6V.

I would still go with Battle Born:
  • Designed and Assembled in the USA
  • Three 31 lbs batteries are easier to move than one 95 lbs battery.
  • Cheaper: ($949 * 3) = $2,847.00 vs $2,999.99 ea. You can also ask for a Military discount from Battle Born.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 08:43 PM   #6

You only need to replace your converter if you don't mind a slower charge. A lithium charger charges at full voltage and stays there so you get max current. Using a regular charger means the charger will go out of bulk mode before it needs to. It doesn't matter what LiFePo4 battery you use, that is how they work.

The nominal voltage spec of the Battleborn is higher. Fully charged voltage is 13.6 to 14.4. Kinda strange that some of these other LiFePo4 are lower since they are likely all using the same cells.

There will be a lot of these batteries hitting the market from China. The only question is the warranty if something fails.

Have you looked at these? I like the idea of the bluetooth builtin monitor.
https://www.lifebluebattery.com/home/index.html

Any reason you think you need 300AH?
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
You only need to replace your converter if you don't mind a slower charge. A lithium charger charges at full voltage and stays there so you get max current. Using a regular charger means the charger will go out of bulk mode before it needs to. It doesn't matter what LiFePo4 battery you use, that is how they work.

The nominal voltage spec of the Battleborn is higher. Fully charged voltage is 13.6 to 14.4. Kinda strange that some of these other LiFePo4 are lower since they are likely all using the same cells.

There will be a lot of these batteries hitting the market from China. The only question is the warranty if something fails.

I quess with LiFeBlue, you would not need a Victron BMV-712. But is troubling for a website not to have a brick & mortar street address.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:21 PM   #8
Retired Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk06382 View Post
I quess with LiFeBlue, you would not need a Victron BMV-712. But is troubling for a website not to have a brick & mortar street address.
I know nothing about that company, but will they be there a year from now for warranty issues if needed?
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:51 PM   #9

Quote:
But is troubling for a website not to have a brick & mortar street address.
That is true. They are carried by many suppliers and I have actually heard of people that have bought them which is why I brought them up. Personally, if I had to do it over again, I would still buy the Battleborns. Paid $925 shipped and no tax.
Old 04-11-2019, 02:26 PM   #10

Here is a link on the differences between Lithium Ion and Lithium Iron Phosphate Batteries. To me the main consideration would be safety.

https://www.newcastlesys.com/blog/li...iron-batteries
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 05:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmay12 View Post
Here is a link on the differences between Lithium Ion and Lithium Iron Phosphate Batteries. To me the main consideration would be safety.

https://www.newcastlesys.com/blog/li...iron-batteries
These are all LiFePo4 that we are discussing here.
Old 04-11-2019, 05:13 PM   #12

Quote:
These are all LiFePo4 that we are discussing here.
My bad, you are correct.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 05:37 PM   #13

Quote:

If I go with Lithium battery/battery I'll probably stick with 200 AH. Used to use 8D's in my boat so the larger battery caught my eye. 8D's had a hidden expense. When changing them out I had to bu beer for my help. No way i wanted to try and muscle those lead boxes down into the hull.

As for higher charging voltage i believe i can force my PD9260 into bulk mode, around 14.6 by using the charge wizard pendant. Also have reduced voltage drop greatly between converter and batteries bu installing #4 awg wire instead of #8 that was OE.

With Solar Controller set for "lithium" i dont think I'll be under charging and speed isn't really an issue for me. If I have panels out all the time I'd think they'd meet most of my needs and of course the converter would kick in when I run the generator for AC, Microwave, etc.

Question on Battleborn. Can they be repaired.

The warranty for the Smart Battery is 5 year replace (pro-rate?) and limited lifetime repair.

Since these batteries are essentially a box of smaller cells, it would seem repair is a definite possibility. A lot easier too than repairing industrial Fla batteries.

Old 04-11-2019, 05:40 PM   #14

Quote:
If I go with Lithium battery/battery I'll probably stick with 200 AH. Used to use 8D's in my boat so the larger battery caught my eye. 8D's had a hidden expense. When changing them out I had to bu beer for my help. No way i wanted to try and muscle those lead boxes down into the hull.

As for higher charging voltage i believe i can force my PD9260 into bulk mode, around 14.6 by using the charge wizard pendant. Also have reduced voltage drop greatly between converter and batteries bu installing #4 awg wire instead of #8 that was OE.

With Solar Controller set for "lithium" i dont think I'll be under charging and speed isn't really an issue for me. If I have panels out all the time I'd think they'd meet most of my needs and of course the converter would kick in when I run the generator for AC, Microwave, etc.

The warranty for the Smart Battery is 5 year replace (pro-rate?) and limited lifetime repair.

Since these batteries are essentially a box of smaller cells, it would seem repair is a definite possibility. A lot easier too than repairing industrial Fla batteries.
Definitely try what you have with the PD. I was buying a new converter anyway so wasn't an issue using the old.

I kinda doubt they can be repaired. They have a 10 year warranty though
Old 04-11-2019, 05:43 PM   #15

Quote:
More and more companies are going this route. Their "brick and mortar" addresses are in industrial warehouse districts where the rent is infinitely less than "Retail Space" built to receive customers off the street.

When you think about it Amazon only has a very few retail outlets compared to their size and volume.

We are now deep in the age of the internet and many traditional brick/mortar companies are getting their butts kicked.

Old 04-11-2019, 06:11 PM   #16

Quote:

Yes

From web site.
WARRANTY POLICY
In the unlikely event, you are having an issue with one of our batteries we have developed a straight forward warranty policy to help answer any questions you may have.

Battle Born Batteries offers a 10 year manufacturers defect warranty from the date of purchase. This warranty does not cover negligence or misuse of the battery. If it is deemed that battery was used improperly, you will be subject to a $150 an hour repair charge plus parts and shipping.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:28 PM   #17

X2 on the BattleBorn batteries. I just installed 2 100Ah in my Isata 3. Great company, excellent customer service. If you're a senior or vet, they'll very likely give you a discount if you ask.
Riverbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 04:45 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverbend View Post
X2 on the BattleBorn batteries. I just installed 2 100Ah in my Isata 3. Great company, excellent customer service. If you're a senior or vet, they'll very likely give you a discount if you ask.
Battle Born Batteries gave me a Veteran's discount last year.

Tags
battery