Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2017, 09:34 AM   #1

Automatic Transfer Switch Problem?

I have a 2014 Sunseeker 3170DS. When I plug into shore power, all is well. Unplug from shore power, generator runs fine, but I get no power to the motorhome. Generator is a Cummins Onan RV QG 4000. The AC circuit breaker on the generator is in the on position (I get resistance when switching it on handoff, so I think it is OK). I am guessing that my problem is the failed Automatic Transfer Switch. Problem - I don’t know where the switch is located. Can anybody assist me in locating the ATS on my unit? And, once found, how do I test it?
mhopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:51 AM   #2

If it like mine, lift foot of bed and pull the tray from storage area, transfer switch should be there. That's where my elect enters the coach.
Old 09-02-2017, 11:36 AM   #3

If you are comfortable with a voltmeter and working with electricity, locate the transfer switch and without shore power start the generator. After about 20-30 seconds, you should hear a relay in the box click. That is the switch to allow the generator to power the coach instead of shore power. If no click, check to see if the generator input is providing 120 to the switch, and if you have no 120 on the output to the coach to confirm a bad switch. If you do get the relay click, and have no 120 on the output, you have a bad switch.

I suggest no shore power, as it is the default power source and if the relay does not work, you will still have 120. No shore power and with a relay failure, no 120 on the output.

If you are not comfortable working with electricity, just listening to the box to see if you hear the relay click should tell you if it is bad.

I have a recent thread about mine, and if you look at the picture, it was obvious when I opened the box up.

Mark
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 11:50 AM   #4

I don't know how to post a question but do need help. My magnum pure sine wave inverter wont even come on. Could the transfer switch be bad. The generator runs fine but the batteries are not charging. Don't know what to do.
texaspete1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 12:14 PM   #5

1 an inverter takes 12 volts and makes 120 volts to run a reefer or tv. 2 converter takes 120 volts and makes 12 volts to charge battery and run the 12 volt systems in your unit. Check your fuses first. If you have a volt meter and know how to use even better to track down your problem. Is the battery shut off switch turned on? Does everything else in the RV work? Meaning, lights, water pump, air conditioning, reefer, microwave. If all that is working and batts. are on, and fuses all check good for the converter, then that may be bad. How old is the unit?
Old 09-04-2017, 12:42 PM   #6

Also check your circuit breakers, including the one located on the generator, and the GFCI plug inside. Is everything else working, or nothing is?

What batteries are you talking about? Ones that are being recharged by the inverter or the main batteries?

Also post what kind of rig you have.

Most of the time, it is a simple problem. A transfer switch failure is rare.

Mark
Old 09-04-2017, 02:11 PM   #7

We have a 2016 Sanibel. When you check the battery status level on the panel when the generator was running, usually the status indicated showed full. Now it just shows one light when the gen is running. My inverter is a Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter. CSW1012. The power light does not even come on. I can't find any inline fuses or any fuse that has blown.
Old 09-04-2017, 04:32 PM   #8

Does everything work on shore Power?

Mark
Old 09-04-2017, 05:13 PM   #9

Yes it does.
Old 09-04-2017, 06:37 PM   #10

Good library of videos here:

Videos - Progressive Dynamics

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspete1 View Post
Yes it does.
On the generator, is the only affected system is the inverter and battery recharging, or everything (with shore power disconnected). And does the inverter work when not hooked up to shore power or generator.

Lots of possibilities. Best to try and narrow the easy ones.

Mark
Old 09-05-2017, 10:02 AM   #12

The inverter doesn't come on at anytime. Nothing is lit up on the inverter at all.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:56 AM   #13

Again, does everything else on the trailer work with the generator running?

And have you checked to see if the inverter has its own fuse on it, and that it is good?

What I am trying to do is see if you have a 120V or a 12V issue. Separate systems, that are connected.

Mark
Old 09-05-2017, 11:03 AM   #14

Yes other outlets run and the microwave runs and the fridge runs with the generator is on. When the gen is running the batteries are not being charged. I have looked for a fuse by the inverter but can't find one.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:24 PM   #15

Okay. Good news in a way. The transfer switch is working.

It sounds like the converter could be bad, and/or the battery.

Take the battery to any auto store and have them load check it. Measuring voltage is okay, but not a good indicator if the battery is good. A bad battery can play he** with things, and a deep discharge can ruin a battery.

With a volt meter, plugged in or generator running, measure the voltage at the battery. It should be somewhere near 13.6V. If it is in the 12V area or less, the converter is most likely not working.

Also double check the converter circuit breaker.

Mark
Old 09-05-2017, 12:29 PM   #16

Will do. Thanks for your help. It may take me awhile. I am working.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:42 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
If it like mine, lift foot of bed and pull the tray from storage area, transfer switch should be there. That's where my elect enters the coach.
Thanks! Found it under the bed, but had to disassemble the bed box to get to it (no tray). Again, thanks!
mhopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:52 AM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhopkins View Post
Thanks! Found it under the bed, but had to disassemble the bed box to get to it (no tray). Again, thanks!
Usually the "tray" is just a plywood panel that has a couple screws in it.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:00 AM   #19

Mine is a nicely finished tray because that's where you store fresh bedding.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:07 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhopkins View Post
It will great to hear what the results are.

Maybe the moderators can separate this thread as it really has two different people seeking solutions. If not, sorry for the confusion this may cause.

Mark

Tags
switch, transfer switch