Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2018, 11:02 PM   #1
Texas Hunter

Awning Light issue

Anyone ever have this happen.
Last night my wife tried to turn off the awning light (2016 Thunderbolt XLR 420 AMP) and she said it won’t turn off. And the lighted switch would not turn off either. I assumed a bad switch. I removed said switch, tested it and it tested good. To be sure, I swapped it with another and it worked fine. BUT, much to my surprise the light was still on and the wires are hanging out the switch hole disconnected and not touching. I turned off every switch in the unit and the light is still on. So I disconnect the battery and shore power. Finally the light went out. I turned the power back on and the light did not come back on. I tested the power at the switch wires and have power. I hooked the switch back up and now the switch light works, but the awning light will not come back on.
I think this is one of the strangest electrical things that has ever happened to me.
I know I need to test the power where it connects to the light if I don’t have to tear out the walls to do it. That will tell me if the light has gone bad.
And what a rat nest of wires behind that switch panel!
Panamapete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 05:19 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Do you have a remote for the light?
If the light is turned on with the remote, the switch has no effect.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 05:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Do you have a remote for the light?
If the light is turned on with the remote, the switch has no effect.

I have a remote that turns the awning light off/on, operates the slide and front/ rear stabilizer jacks. Another remote just for the awning light to change brightness, color and patterns. Also a switch inside. It can get confusing. They don't play well with each other.

'19 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
'17 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL
Mickey the Rescue Project Schnauzer
Days Camped: '17-39, '18-61, '19-64, '20-38
bedubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 06:32 PM   #4
Texas Hunter

I don’t have or have never used a remote for the Awning lights. I did get a remote with the camper when I bought it, but I thought it was for the door lock.
It is coded and I’ve never been able to use it. Fancy silver rechargeable thing it is.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:17 PM   #5
Texas Hunter

Well.....I dug out the remote that came with the camper and I had no idea what it was for. It needed a code so I punched in 0000 and it worked! Turns out the remote works everything. Jacks, awnings, slides and awning light.
It will work the light, but no matter what I try it won’t work from the switch. Hey, at least I’m not in the dark anymore.....lol
Old 11-30-2018, 09:33 PM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panamapete View Post
Well.....I dug out the remote that came with the camper and I had no idea what it was for. It needed a code so I punched in 0000 and it worked! Turns out the remote works everything. Jacks, awnings, slides and awning light.
It will work the light, but no matter what I try it won’t work from the switch. Hey, at least I’m not in the dark anymore.....lol
You said you had the wires off the switch.
Maybe take another look and just verify the wires are on the correct terminals.

Glad you figured out what the remote is for!
What a shame your dealer didn't explain it to you.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 11:29 PM   #7
Texas Hunter

I checked that. I switched them around. The led light on the switch comes on, but not the awning light. Really a strange issue. Checked all fuses also.
Something I found odd was the hot lead to that switch is the only one in that panel that has a 5amp inline fuse? Maybe because it is an outside light? But the rear awning switch does not have one.
Old 12-01-2018, 06:12 AM   #8

If you have a remote then someplace you have a receiver box that controls everything. Try removing all power and see if the box resets. Unplug from shore power and disconnect battery for a minute and see what that does.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:42 AM   #9
Texas Hunter

Already did that. That’s how I got the light to turn off.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:02 AM   #10

Did it turn right back on when you powered back up? Anything else you already tried?
Old 12-01-2018, 12:47 PM   #11
Texas Hunter

It did not turn back on. I wasn’t able to turn it on until someone here mentioned remote. And I remembered on that was in my manual bag that I had no clue what it was for.
After I figured out the code for it. I was happy tp see it was the remote for almost everything in the trailer. It turns on and off the light. But no matter what configuration it is in.......the switch won’t work. And there is power to both sides of the switch. One side I assume lights the switch light, the other the awning. No bueno!
Old 12-01-2018, 05:58 PM   #12

You have a bad relay on your controller. Find your controller and remove the wire to the awning lights and they should go off and the switch should still work.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:30 PM   #13
Texas Hunter

OK....that sounds plausible. Don’t know where to look for it, or what it looks like, but I’ll see what I can find. Thanks for that info.

Tags
awning, light