Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2018, 08:05 PM   #1
jlf

Awning not working

We just arrived at our RV lot only to discover the awning lights, front step/porch light and interior overhead lights not working. All these lights switch’s are located in small cabinet. We have a 2014 silverback rl. We were just here 3 weeks ago and they were working fine. We have checked fuses inverter. Everything works. Any suggestions. Thanks in advance
jlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:12 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlf View Post
We just arrived at our RV lot only to discover the awning lights, front step/porch light and interior overhead lights not working. All these lights switch’s are located in small cabinet. We have a 2014 silverback rl. We were just here 3 weeks ago and they were working fine. We have checked fuses inverter. Everything works. Any suggestions. Thanks in advance
All of these mentioned are usually 12 volt DC items.

Are you plugged into shore power? Does your other 12 volt DC things function like your furnace (if applicable), CO detector, slides, etc?

Do you have a remote control for these items (like a OneControl or similar)?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:21 PM   #3

Quote:

Is your battery still there (not stolen)? Is it charged and is the battery disconnect switch "on"?
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:27 PM   #4

If you’ve found out how your RV was built like I have found out look behind walls where like the central vac it and the thermostat is located. I know in mine there crap tons of wire in between the wall where mine is. Could have come unplugged, wires fell apart from not being installed correctly.
Jeff6146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:30 PM   #5
jlf

Everything else works. It stays plugged into shore line even when we are not here. Slide outs went out fine. All appliances, and lights work.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:34 PM   #6
jlf

Battery is there and turned on. All lights, other than porch,step, and awning work fine
Old 04-06-2018, 08:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
All of these mentioned are usually 12 volt DC items.

Are you plugged into shore power? Does your other 12 volt DC things function like your furnace (if applicable), CO detector, slides, etc?

Do you have a remote control for these items (like a OneControl or similar)?
Quote:
Quote:
Battery is there and turned on. All lights, other than porch,step, and awning work fine

Ahhh, your OP mentioned the interior lights were out too. The awning lights & front porch lights are probably on the same 12v circuit fuse. Double check all your fuses with a continuity meter to make sure. Some develop a crack or blow in a manner that you can't see it.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:56 PM   #8
Site Team

What about a remote, if you have one to these items?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:31 PM   #9
jlf

No remote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:31 PM   #10

Oh wiggle the fuses. One of mine was loose.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:33 PM   #11
jlf

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
Ahhh, your OP mentioned the interior lights were out too. The awning lights & front porch lights are probably on the same 12v circuit fuse. Double check all your fuses with a continuity meter to make sure. Some develop a crack or blow in a manner that you can't see it.
Ok the fuse was blown. The 3 lights came on but the awning is blowing the fuse. Always something
Old 04-06-2018, 09:34 PM   #12

One more thing. Check the connection where you plug up the truck to the RV. Here’s a way to check the lights from that plugClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6956.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	167415
Old 04-06-2018, 09:35 PM   #13

Great I’m glad you found the culprit. Have fun at camp.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:47 PM   #14
jlf

Now to figure out why the electric awning is blowing the fuse
Old 04-07-2018, 10:26 AM   #15
jlf

Thanks to everyone who gave us advice. Now I have good news and bad news. It was the fuse blown. But it is the electric awning that is blowing the fuse it’s not working at all. The step and porch light are working. Have any suggestions? Is it possible to put a larger fuse to help st least the awning to extend?
Old 04-07-2018, 01:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Thanks to everyone who gave us advice. Now I have good news and bad news. It was the fuse blown. But it is the electric awning that is blowing the fuse it’s not working at all. The step and porch light are working. Have any suggestions? Is it possible to put a larger fuse to help st least the awning to extend?
My guess is the wire is shorting out on the awning arm somewhere. It does not get power until you flip the switch.

Pull off the plastic cover on the awning poles (requires it is out) and check the awning power wire where it goes into the trailer and near all the moving parts. Sometimes the wires get pinched. You could also pull the switch and see if there is something grounding out there.

Also check the motor. If you detach the motor and press the extend button and the fuse still blows it is shorting out either at the switch or along the path.

I would not use a larger fuse (unless it is labeled for one) as it will likely just blow as well and could cause a fire.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning