Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2012, 03:54 PM   #1

AZar

Just used my new toyhauler this weekend. I have a problem with the battery charging. I used a champion generator last night.mwhen I shut it down I lost all power to the unit. I had absolutely no power without the generator on. I thought that while the generator was running it would charge my battery. I am now trickle charging the battery to see if I get any battery power to the unit. Any advice?
AZar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:20 PM   #2

Hi and welcome.

Have you checked the voltage at the battery? Do you have 12 volts using a volt meter?

If you do do you have 12 volts at the distribution DC panel without beinging plugged into shore power or generator.

Does the battery have liquid in it?

Has it worked before this?

All kinds of questions before we can help you with whats going on.

Get back to us. Thanks
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy
Hi and welcome.

Have you checked the voltage at the battery? Do you have 12 volts using a volt meter?

If you do do you have 12 volts at the distribution DC panel without beinging plugged into shore power or generator.

Does the battery have liquid in it?

Has it worked before this?

All kinds of questions before we can help you with whats going on.

Get back to us. Thanks
The voltage when I got home was at 8 now that I have a charger on it it has climbed to 10. Yes the battery has liquid and is brand new. It worked for the first two days of our trip or at least it seemed to be. The problem occurred last night after watch a movie using the generator, when I shut it down everything went down. Even now with the battery hooked to the charger I have no battery power to even the 12V fan in the restroom.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZar View Post
The voltage when I got home was at 8 now that I have a charger on it it has climbed to 10. Yes the battery has liquid and is brand new. It worked for the first two days of our trip or at least it seemed to be. The problem occurred last night after watch a movie using the generator, when I shut it down everything went down. Even now with the battery hooked to the charger I have no battery power to even the 12V fan in the restroom.

Sounds like your battery charger was not charging the battery when you were on generator. I would check you circuit breakers to insure you had power to your battery charger as well as output to the battery.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:24 PM   #5

Quote:

Sounds like your battery charger was not charging the battery when you were on generator. I would check you circuit breakers to insure you had power to your battery charger as well as output to the battery.
The breakers are all good and the fuses are good. I'm thinking the charger must not be getting power, how do I check that? Is there an "on/off" switch for the charger?
Old 09-02-2012, 07:45 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Azar,
Can you tell us what TH you have and what model converter? That will help in diagnosing the charging issue.

In the meantime, have you checked for an inline fuse or resettable breaker between the battery and the converter? Also, check your ground and make sure it's not loose.

You mentioned that your battery was at 8. If that was 8 volts, it's very possible that battery is dead. Take it off the charger, wait a night and check it again.

Those are just some common issues that could be causing your problem with no power on DC. Let us know how it goes and good luck.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:59 PM   #7
Site Team

AZar, when you say "charger" are you talking about a separate stand-alone battery charger or are you calling the trailer's converter a "charger"?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan
AZar, when you say "charger" are you talking about a separate stand-alone battery charger or are you calling the trailer's converter a "charger"?
I'm talking a stand alone charger. The battery now shows full charge and still no power in the toyhauler.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy
Azar,
Can you tell us what TH you have and what model converter? That will help in diagnosing the charging issue.

In the meantime, have you checked for an inline fuse or resettable breaker between the battery and the converter? Also, check your ground and make sure it's not loose.

You mentioned that your battery was at 8. If that was 8 volts, it's very possible that battery is dead. Take it off the charger, wait a night and check it again.

Those are just some common issues that could be causing your problem with no power on DC. Let us know how it goes and good luck.
It's a 2013 forest river grey Wolf 25rr. The converter is a Cheng (don't have the model number handy)

I could not locate an in line fuse, but will spend more time in the morning looking for one--there has to be one somewhere I would think.

I have disconnect the battery for the night will get back to it in the morning.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:00 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

The inline fuse us on the positive cable, usually close to the battery. Mine is located under the driver's side of the trailer about a foot in from the front edge. This might also be a resettable breaker that is a box with a tiny button you can push to "reset" it.

Cheng makes WFCO converters. Their manuals describe a process for checking DC output if you need to do that. If you don't have the manual, we might have it in our Files section that you can access above (menu bar).

My bet is the inline fuse (or resettable breaker) and/or the battery is dead from being discharged too low.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3399216327.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	19044

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 09-03-2012, 12:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy
The inline fuse us on the positive cable, usually close to the battery. Mine is located under the driver's side of the trailer about a foot in from the front edge. This might also be a resettable breaker that is a box with a tiny button you can push to "reset" it.

Cheng makes WFCO converters. Their manuals describe a process for checking DC output if you need to do that. If you don't have the manual, we might have it in our Files section that you can access above (menu bar).

My bet is the inline fuse (or resettable breaker) and/or the battery is dead from being discharged too low.
I'll check for the In line fuse again, that seems my guess as well. The battery was at 14.2 volts this morning. In line fuse seems to be the only thing I haven't checked.
Thank you for all the help.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZar View Post
I'll check for the In line fuse again, that seems my guess as well. The battery was at 14.2 volts this morning. In line fuse seems to be the only thing I haven't checked.
I used to have my battery fuse blow when I used my electric front legs on my 5th wheel and held the switch too long.
Found a auto resettable breaker to replace the fuse at auro store.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZar

Triguy---- YOU ARE THE MAN!! That was it the in line fuse, or in this case. The little grey box. I would have never found it if not for your help and the picture you sent
Thank you so much. Now I can look forward to my next trip this weekend with no worries.

Thank you again
AZar
Old 09-03-2012, 03:05 PM   #14

Quote:
I used to have my battery fuse blow when I used my electric front legs on my 5th wheel and held the switch too long.
Found a auto resettable breaker to replace the fuse at auro store.
Igbo it was indeed the in line fuse, or in this case, the little grey box. Thank you for the help and direction.

Thank you
AZar
Old 09-03-2012, 04:22 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

I love it when a problem is solved and I hope you enjoy the rest of the season!

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 09-03-2012, 04:41 PM   #16
Site Team

this is a common issue, usually when the owner crosses the battery wires.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote