Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2013, 07:58 AM   #1

Bathroom light fixture

New to us 04 Roo 25bh and the only thing that didn't work was the bathroom light.
I took it down and found that the switch was rusted out so it was just the switch that was bad. Got a replacement switch but I'm wondering if this is fairly common or is this an indicator of another problem. Water is not coming through the roof so I guess it's from shower steam.
Is there a way to protect the new switch from corrosion or is it just as simple as keeping the fan running during showers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-872462902.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	34021  
7ofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:18 AM   #2

Fan running? Probably but I believe you could also cover all contacts, after connecting, liberally with clear silicone.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7ofus
New to us 04 Roo 25bh and the only thing that didn't work was the bathroom light.
I took it down and found that the switch was rusted out so it was just the switch that was bad. Got a replacement switch but I'm wondering if this is fairly common or is this an indicator of another problem. Water is not coming through the roof so I guess it's from shower steam.
Is there a way to protect the new switch from corrosion or is it just as simple as keeping the fan running during showers.
You can use a dab of electrial conductivity grease, helps the contact and preseves unprotected metal.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post

You can use a dab of electrial conductivity grease, helps the contact and preseves unprotected metal.
X2 on the dielectric grease; carry it in the trailer and use on all connections.

TV - 2013 Silverado 1500, 5.3L
TT - 2012 Wildwood 26 TBSS
mduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:16 AM   #5

Thanks. I will definitely do that with the grease. I know we'll keep the fan running but any extra protection so I don't have to hunt for a new switch will be great.
7ofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:17 PM   #6

Electrical wiring to bathroom

Hi,
I just bought a 2004 Surveyor 29 foot. Everything works except the bathroom light fixture. I opened the light up and both bulbs were burned out. I put in a new bulb and it didn't light. I removed the fixture, opened the wire nuts and put a VOM on it...no reading on the DC scale. I looked at all of the bus fuses and all looked intact.
I am worried about a short somewhere that may cause a fire. any advice?
kirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirt View Post
Hi,
I just bought a 2004 Surveyor 29 foot. Everything works except the bathroom light fixture. I opened the light up and both bulbs were burned out. I put in a new bulb and it didn't light. I removed the fixture, opened the wire nuts and put a VOM on it...no reading on the DC scale. I looked at all of the bus fuses and all looked intact.
I am worried about a short somewhere that may cause a fire. any advice?
I don't think you have a "short" to deal with, that's uncontrolled flow of power causing heat. You have an "open" circuit where the power can't get past a bad connection. In most RV's the overhead or ceiling lighting is grouped into circuits. Try to imagine which circuit fixture would be just before the bathroom light. Most likely your problem is there where the daisy chain is broken or interrupted due a poor connection. There may be 4-5 fixtures in the same chain, but as little as 1 or 2. Make sure you have checked all the fuses with a meter, not just sight. Best way is ground your tester and measure the output of all fuses with a meter or test light.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:57 PM   #8

I'll check it tomorrow

Thanks, Vince.
We will camp over the weekend at Coles Creek Campground, Lake Carlyle, IL.
I'll bring my better VOM, and take time to check each fuse to be sure there is power across each contact.
Concerning the chain...there is a power fan in the bathroom, and another light in the bunk room right next door. There was a leak in that area that I had repaired after I bought it. Perhaps there some corrosion around the connectors to the lights. I guess if I take each fixture down and look for a parallel connection that is corroded, that should do the trick, right?
Probably, if I put connected the neutral (white wire) to the light and then a 12 volt power line from half of the fuse, the light should probably work.
Kirt
Old 06-27-2013, 08:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirt
Thanks, Vince.
We will camp over the weekend at Coles Creek Campground, Lake Carlyle, IL.
I'll bring my better VOM, and take time to check each fuse to be sure there is power across each contact.
Concerning the chain...there is a power fan in the bathroom, and another light in the bunk room right next door. There was a leak in that area that I had repaired after I bought it. Perhaps there some corrosion around the connectors to the lights. I guess if I take each fixture down and look for a parallel connection that is corroded, that should do the trick, right?
Probably, if I put connected the neutral (white wire) to the light and then a 12 volt power line from half of the fuse, the light should probably work.
Kirt
The temp connection yes, that will prove the fixture, good lead on the small leak. Its only 12 volt, doesn't take much to block the power flow.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:16 AM   #10

Problem solved

Thanks, Vince. I solved the problem. I appreciate it.