Old 12-12-2012, 05:46 PM   #11

K, I think I'm gonna wire in parallel. Thanks guys. It'll give me a little redundancy (failover in my net admin mind). I'm wanting to get this moving so I need to buy something (which is better than nothing) and at least get a few bumps on my head from the learning process. If I don't like it I'll just replace.

Off to Sams Club this weekend for 12v deep cycle batteries I guess. Anybody have recommendations for batteries from Sams Club? I want to have the trojans but looking around for some in the Missouri boot heel isn't yielding much and I don't want to drive to St. Louis just for batteries.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:51 PM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPAspey View Post
A couple of things here: First, the batteries were NOT commercial quality. Second, the original charger was a simple 2 stage, bulk and trickle.
The charger explains everything. 2 stage chargers will definitely overcharge a deep discharge battery since it does not have a "float" stage.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:53 PM   #13
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollumi View Post
K, I think I'm gonna wire in parallel. Thanks guys. It'll give me a little redundancy (failover in my net admin mind). I'm wanting to get this moving so I need to buy something (which is better than nothing) and at least get a few bumps on my head from the learning process. If I don't like it I'll just replace.

Off to Sams Club this weekend for 12v deep cycle batteries I guess. Anybody have recommendations for batteries from Sams Club? I want to have the trojans but looking around for some in the Missouri boot heel isn't yielding much and I don't want to drive to St. Louis just for batteries.
There are many online sources for excellent deals on Trojans. So much so that the shipping fee is still under the best local price you will find.

A pair of these are on my wish list.
http://www.batteriesinaflash.com/dee...-cycle-battery

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:56 PM   #14

that could be...I bought a three stage charger and batteries about the same time, so I couldn't compare chargers.

Tags
solar, battery