Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2017, 01:15 PM   #1

Batteries-Storage Issues

Can anyone recommend a safe way to park a fifth wheel for a long period of time, for example winter months, with the power plugged in and save the batteries. If I turn off the battery disconnect switch in the outside convenience panel it kills everything in the unit but the house type refrigerator, microwave, and one electric light with a ceiling fan. It kills the thermostat which then the A/C unit or the furnace cannot be run. Is this normal?
My fifth wheel is 4 years old, at two years I had to replace all 4 of the 6 volt batteries, now after another two years I have to replace them again. I strongly suspect something is not wired right in this unit that causes the batteries to be over charged on a constant basis. RV dealer suggested putting a cutoff switch on the Invertor (does not make sense to me) Isn't it the convertor that charges the batteries not the invertor? Isn't the sole purpose of a invertor to supply power to the house refrigerator while not plugged in to electric power? What is a safe way to leave it plugged in and not kill the batteries?
Short of not plugging in at storage building and disconnecting the batteries does anyone have suggestions? What does people do that live in these units or travel full time. Any help would be appreciated.
flattyattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 08:14 AM   #2

Actually having a switch on the inverter (if it doesn't already have a on/off switch) does make sense. They recommended it so that the inverter was not constantly putting a draw on the batteries. Are you sure the batteries are being ruined by over charging? If thats the case you may want to look into replacing the converter with one that will maintain and not over charge.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 08:28 AM   #3

Agree with SeaDog. Sure you should probably get a remote off switch for the inverter and most vendors make one that plugs into the inverter with a telephone like cord that is pretty long.

I would take a hard look at your converter. 2 years is really not very good. You should be able to leave the unit plugged in while in storage with the 12 volt switch on. I would start by checking the voltage of the converter when you are on shore power. It should start out maybe at 14 volts depending on the state of charge, but then drop to 13.6 and eventually down to 13.2 for the long haul.

If you give us the brand of the converter and inverter we can help you a little more.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 01:13 PM   #4

Battery issues

Actually there is a on/off switch on the invertor. Does it need another cutoff switch between it and the batteries? It is turned off while plugged into power and on when boon docking (which is very very rarely) and on while towing. I have a house type fridge that uses power while traveling the invertor would be on while connected to the truck when towing. The fifth wheel is currently at the dealer having the second main air unit installed in the last four years. The air unit seems to loose its Freon every two years as well. I will try to find out the kind and brand of the invertor and the convertor as soon as possible. Thank heaven for an extended warranty that has replaced the air unit for the second time. I have always suspected the convertor but getting the yahoo's at the dealership to check it out it another thing. Thanks
Old 10-14-2017, 01:43 PM   #5

My invertor has an on/off switch. I have seen one that didn't. But mine at least, is automatic. Technically, I could leave it on after plugging into shore power and it wouldn't do anything but run and draw a little power. It wouldn't supply power to the refrigerator, which is its only purpose.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:04 AM   #6

If there is a true on/off switch for the inverter, you do not need any additional disconnects between it and the batteries as it will draw NO CURRENT when turned off. This is different from an automatic transfer switch which runs your reefer off the inverter when there is no shore power and switches to shore or genny power when present. This will turn off the LOAD to the inverter, but the inverter will still be idling and using maybe 1 amp or less in this state.

I really like my inverters and turn them OFF when not in use for days to perhaps extend their lives a little. Of course if you have a combination inverter/charger, you cannot turn it off under any storage circumstances.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 10:58 AM   #7

Battery issues

Thanks, for your answers. Dealership called this morning to let me know the converter was indeed bad, but deny that any damage could have been done to the batteries because of that. His words were if the converter is not putting power to the batteries it could not have done damage. This is the kind of converter and inverter that we have. Insurance will pay for the converter but not the batteries.
The converter is a WFCO WF9865.
Inverter is a AirPax Deminsions ADI-12W8R3T

Tags
batteries, storage