Old 05-27-2013, 06:08 PM   #1

Battery ?

I have traded 5th wheels and the dealer did not want our two battery set from the trade and he did not want give me credit for the battery with the new camper. So, I now have 3 interstate HD24DP batteries ( 405 CCA 505 MCA ). I had planned on using our 2 battery set along with a solar unit, but for now I am going to put the solar panels on hold. I know it is not a good idea to mix older batteries with new, so my thought was to run the 2 battery set on one side of a Blue Sea 2 battery switch and the single on the other post. That way I could switch from the 2 set to the single and /or use all 3. What are your suggestion, or should I just hook all 3 up as a unit knowing the new will be dragged down.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:29 PM   #2

Do not use all three together. Using the switch is a good idea. Use the pair or the single. You also need to charge the pair and the single separately.

Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:14 PM   #3

If I ever go with a solar panel for charging than I can change out the batteries. So my plan is two battery banks. One bank with 2 and the other with one, I should be able to switch my Blue Sea battery switch so both banks are in the system for those cold nights I need the furnace all night. I have thought about puttng in a timed thermostat so in the morning it would warm up the camper before we get up. Thank you
Old 05-27-2013, 09:23 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisty View Post
Do not use all three together. Using the switch is a good idea. Use the pair or the single. You also need to charge the pair and the single separately.
You are right on. Until I was ready to fix the battery compartment, I would use it as a "primary/Secondary" system with a 2 battery switch.

Just remember you also have to charge them individually (pair - then single) because trying to do them both at the same time will cause the same problems that USING them both at the same time will do.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:01 PM   #5

I've been using a similar two bank system with a switch for over a year and it works great. I charge them separately but use both banks at night when it is really cold and am boon-docking.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefly1 View Post
I've been using a similar two bank system with a switch for over a year and it works great. I charge them separately but use both banks at night when it is really cold and am boon-docking.
X2

raytronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:04 AM   #7

Marine supply houses have a battery switch that allow you to have one, two, or both sets of batteries on at the same time. While using you can set switch to one or two and whe charging put on both.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:47 PM   #8

Do I understand this right? If I boon-dock I can use the 2 battery bank or the single bank separately, position 1 or 2 on the switch. Can I also use the 1+2 position on the switch if it is a cold night boon-docking where both banks are drawn from? I understand I do have to charge each battery bank separately, but could I put the switch to the number 2 position (single battery bank) and use the campers converter to charge the single bank? I than could use a dedicated charger to charge the 2 battery bank. Thank you
Old 05-28-2013, 11:02 PM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by f150k View Post
Do I understand this right? If I boon-dock I can use the 2 battery bank or the single bank separately, position 1 or 2 on the switch. Can I also use the 1+2 position on the switch if it is a cold night boon-docking where both banks are drawn from? I understand I do have to charge each battery bank separately, but could I put the switch to the number 2 position (single battery bank) and use the campers converter to charge the single bank? I than could use a dedicated charger to charge the 2 battery bank. Thank you
This is not my recommendation! I would use the single setting during the evening and switch to the double bank at night. Using the BOTH setting is a "real bad idea" as it will cause equalization problems during discharge and recharge.

Better to use them and charge them separately to keep the set balanced.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:36 PM   #10

Thank you Lou, that is what I was looking for, I am new at this and just do not want to screw something up. Again thank you for all your information and help.