Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2011, 11:10 AM   #21
Brigitte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd View Post
Sure, why not, leave it plugged in, batteries connected and once a week go out and flip the breakers on. You might want to check your battery now and then to make certain the fluid is still covering the plates. You might also want to do a voltage check to see that all is well. If the fluid level exposes the plates/straps, add water and if you don't get full charge, leave the breakers on a couple of hours longer. ***Check battery voltage after the batteries have been off the charger for at least three hours.*** Read the URL I posted earlier about battery FAQ's.

If leaving it in the TT fails, which could happen even if you removed the battery and kept it on low voltage float charge inside, get a new battery in the spring. I have to keep reminding myself, "KISS" Keep It Simple Stupid.
brakers? lolol, I feel sooo stupid! what about the brakers? I looked in the panel and turned some off but not sure if I need to turn them all off, leave them all on or what.
I thought if leaving battery on, leave breakers on and plugged in 2 hours a day where it recharges
I plan on checking voltage of battery in trailer where there is a meter on wall in bathroom. Is that ok?
Timbrens
boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:25 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by boubou View Post
brakers? lolol, I feel sooo stupid! what about the brakers? I looked in the panel and turned some off but not sure if I need to turn them all off, leave them all on or what.
I thought if leaving battery on, leave breakers on and plugged in 2 hours a day where it recharges
I plan on checking voltage of battery in trailer where there is a meter on wall in bathroom. Is that ok?
You can leave all the breakers on but you'll have a little parasitic draw from a couple of things that are not meant to turn off (Hard wired), i.e. some smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors and gas sniffers. You may have others that I'm not aware of. Granted, these devices aren't draining your battery very much but be aware they will kill a battery over an extended period of time, if battery is not charged. So.....You can leave your breakers ON or OFF, it's your choice.

The breakers I'm talking about are the BIG ONES in your converter panel.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:17 PM   #23
Brigitte

I looked at the converter model number
it's WFC model WF-8955PEC
according to their website, it's 3 stage

Power CentersWF-8955PEC, WF-8955 55 Amp Power Center
Timbrens
Old 10-23-2011, 04:50 PM   #24

The reason you dont leave your battery on the concrete floor is that the concrete floor is colder than the room and the discharge will be faster if you leave it on the colder floor. This is not a myth, it has been proven over the years. Your battery will keep its charge longer if you isolate it from the cold floor.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:56 PM   #25

My old battery lasted nine years, and all I did was disconnect it when in storage. Will try same with my present trailer and see how long it lasts. Wayne
wayne anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:00 AM   #26
Brigitte

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne anthony View Post
My old battery lasted nine years, and all I did was disconnect it when in storage. Will try same with my present trailer and see how long it lasts. Wayne
no tickle charger or anything? just plain disconnect it? did you leave it on the trailer?

So I've changed my mind about leaving it on with timer on daily
I will go and get a tickle charger and disconnect from trailer but leave it outside with tickle charger attached to it. Hope this works ok
Timbrens
Old 10-24-2011, 09:57 AM   #27

Keep in mind there are people from all over North America on this forum. So that person who simply disconnects their battery may live somewhere that never sees -10 C.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:28 AM   #28

Haven't figured out how to quote message in reply, so hope you people can figure it out.
No trickle charger and leave in the trailer (trailer on starage lot about 8 miles away).
I live in Colorado, so temperature may get down to -20 degrees f once in awhile. Wayne
Old 10-24-2011, 10:38 AM   #29
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by capucine View Post
The reason you dont leave your battery on the concrete floor is that the concrete floor is colder than the room and the discharge will be faster if you leave it on the colder floor. This is not a myth, it has been proven over the years. Your battery will keep its charge longer if you isolate it from the cold floor.

read this !

Batteries on Concrete
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:38 AM   #30

Quote:
Haven't figured out how to quote message in reply, so hope you people can figure it out.
No trickle charger and leave in the trailer (trailer on starage lot about 8 miles away).
I live in Colorado, so temperature may get down to -20 degrees f once in awhile. Wayne
9 years! As the old saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

To quote message, click "Quote" in lower right corner.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:00 PM   #31
Brigitte

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne anthony
Did you have to recharge it in the spring?
Timbrens
Old 10-25-2011, 09:15 PM   #32

Usually by the time I drag it home and plug it in a day while we are getting ready for the next trip, its ready to go. Wayne
Old 10-25-2011, 09:16 PM   #33
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
I thought i was bragging at 6 year old battery .
Darn wayne kick a guy would ya !
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:40 PM   #34

And I actually bought it at Walmart too. Hooked it up to a 15 watt solar charger while dry camping. Seemed to charge o. k. the first day, then the battery crapped out, so really didn't get a feel as to how much the solar would add. This year dry camping, the solar extended usage to at least 4 days (problems with water leaks, running front and back electric jacks up and down as had to hook up and drive to get more water). My sister died so had to leave, so don't know how long it would have coaxed the batteries. Wayne

Tags
battery