Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2012, 09:13 AM   #1

Battery Basics

Alright, I am very green so don't cringe. I have a couple of battery questions.

1. I know that the TV will charge the camper battery when running. Should I always disconnect from the TV when setup for camping? (ie. will my TV drain my camper batt.?)

2. When charging the camper batt. w/ a gennny, should I disconnect the batt. to camper connections? I read something about disconn. the ground or (-) terminal only. Is this process the same for disconn the (-) when using a simple battery charger at home?

3. I have a Honda genny with the "automotive type battery" battery charging cable. Does this include deep cycle marine battery's?

4. I also have a ship n' shore speed charger with 15, 10, and 2 amp charge settings. The built in genny charger is 8 amp charge I believe. I could bring the speed charger if that would be better/easier. I am thinking I could run the genny in eco-mode if I did that.

5. The speed charger gives a charge % as well so I know when it's fully charged. Is there a tool I can use to check batt charge if just using genny charging cable?

Thanks alot for any and all help with this.

LM
loganmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:43 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by loganmartin View Post
Alright, I am very green so don't cringe. I have a couple of battery questions.

1. I know that the TV will charge the camper battery when running. Should I always disconnect from the TV when setup for camping? (ie. will my TV drain my camper batt.?)
the TV will trickle charge the battery. don't expect it to fully recharge a low battery unless you're driving for 10 hours. as to disconnecting, depends on what you're towing with.

2. When charging the camper batt. w/ a gennny, should I disconnect the batt. to camper connections? I read something about disconn. the ground or (-) terminal only. Is this process the same for disconn the (-) when using a simple battery charger at home?
just plug your shore cord into the genny, the onboard converter should have a 3-stage charger built-in. unless your RV is older.

3. I have a Honda genny with the "automotive type battery" battery charging cable. Does this include deep cycle marine battery's?
very inefficient way to recharge. the RV's converter is much faster

4. I also have a ship n' shore speed charger with 15, 10, and 2 amp charge settings. The built in genny charger is 8 amp charge I believe. I could bring the speed charger if that would be better/easier. I am thinking I could run the genny in eco-mode if I did that.
no need if you have a newer RV.

5. The speed charger gives a charge % as well so I know when it's fully charged. Is there a tool I can use to check batt charge if just using genny charging cable?
get a multi-meter

Thanks alot for any and all help with this.

LM
here's my answers.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:45 AM   #3

very nice bikendan...I am making this thing harder than it is.lol

LM
Old 03-22-2012, 10:25 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I use the Ship n' Shore (same one as you have) because I feel it gives a better "top charge" and is MAYBE quicker. I can never get more than 13.6 volts out of my converter charge even though it is supposed to have a 14.4 mode. (Not trying to debate your answer BikenDan! It's very possible I don't fully understand the situation! ) BUT the Ship n' Shore will go as high as 16 volts at the end and then I worry about the RV electronics so I'll disconnect the battery from the trailer once it gets to about 14.6 volts or just quit at that point. Anyone know whether 16 volts is harmful? Am I on the wrong track about the voltage? Somebody educate me!!

But the Shore Power plugged into the genny is a great solution and less stuff to bring along. You also have the advantage of 110V available for other things then. Our Honda mostly runs Eco mode in this scenario except when a big 110V draw comes along.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:43 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I think Dan answered your questions and the only thing I would add is to compare the charging with the Generator/Ship n' Shore combo vs the Generator/Converter combo.

Many deep cycle batteries need a higher voltage than the converter can provide. Trojan batteries need 14.8 volts.

I charge through the converter because its convenient when camping with electric and that is probably what I would do if I had a generator and was camping with that.

But at home, I always charge through my 40amp Stanley charger.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:05 PM   #6

thanks everyone. Sounds like there's more than one way to skin a cat. I understand I won't pick up years or decades of knowledge through a few internet posts...but it sure does shorten the learning curve a bit.

Just fired up the EU2000 for the first time...about a half dozen pulls. I went with mobile one synthetic 10w-30. I also added some Safegaurd ethanol fuel stabilizer to my fuel. Gonna let er run for about 30 mins without a load. Am I in the ballpark fellas?
Old 03-22-2012, 02:26 PM   #7
Site Team

my point is that for most situations, the newer 3-stage converters can charge batteries very well.
is it better than a stand alone charger, like the Ship n Shore? probably not.
but is it necessary to take a stand alone charger camping with you, probably not.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:24 PM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Pretty much what everyone here said.

In my case, when "dry camping," I turn off the main battery disconnect. Then I plug the shore power cable into the 30 amp outlet of the Yamaha 3000.

I plug the Ship n Shore charger into the 15 amp outlet on the generator and hook it up to the battery bank.

I find that doing it this way is faster (runs the generator less); fully tops off the battery; and desulphates if the batteries need it. The on board converter does not have the 4th stage (desulphating) that the Ship-n-Shore has.

Your experience may differ...
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Pretty much what everyone here said.

In my case, when "dry camping," I turn off the main battery disconnect. Then I plug the shore power cable into the 30 amp outlet of the Yamaha 3000.

I plug the Ship n Shore charger into the 15 amp outlet on the generator and hook it up to the battery bank.

I find that doing it this way is faster (runs the generator less); fully tops off the battery; and desulphates if the batteries need it. The on board converter does not have the 4th stage (desulphating) that the Ship-n-Shore has.

Your experience may differ...
...and where might I find the main battery disconnect and what will it look like? I have a 60 amp fuse near the battery that I can remove..
Old 03-22-2012, 03:50 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Many deep cycle batteries need a higher voltage than the converter can provide. Trojan batteries need 14.8 volts.
We have a Trojan battery also and it DOES hold its charge longer after the SnS versus just the converter charger.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:01 PM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
...and where might I find the main battery disconnect and what will it look like? I have a 60 amp fuse near the battery that I can remove..
Logan, you have an pop-up type trailer. I have a 5th wheel trailer. Mine did not come with a disconnect; I had to install it. It is the red dial switch in the picture.

Having said that, you may not have a disconnect as standard equipment.

They are not only a good idea; they are also easy to install.
If you search the forum for battery disconnects you will find many different ways to implement this simple, but in my opinion important mod.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ets-18599.html

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ded-14587.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camper 002.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	11114  
Old 03-22-2012, 04:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Logan, you have an pop-up type trailer. I have a 5th wheel trailer. Mine did not come with a disconnect; I had to install it. It is the red dial switch in the picture.

Having said that, you may not have a disconnect as standard equipment.

They are not only a good idea; they are also easy to install.
If you search the forum for battery disconnects you will find many different ways to implement this simple, but in my opinion important mod.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ets-18599.html

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ded-14587.html
So am I understanding it right that with a disconnect mod, all you have to do is flip a switch to disconnect battery power to the camper...in lieu of removing the (+) and (-) connectors?
Old 03-22-2012, 04:29 PM   #13
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
So am I understanding it right that with a disconnect mod, all you have to do is flip a switch to disconnect battery power to the camper...in lieu of removing the (+) and (-) connectors?
you got it...
Old 03-22-2012, 04:46 PM   #14

Quote:
you got it...
awesome..thanks!

Tags
battery