Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2019, 03:44 PM   #1

battery box hold down straps

My TT came equipped with dual batteries, housed inside plastic boxes on the tongue A frame. Each box has lawn-chair style webbing with a plastic clip that grips the webbing. I struggle with the straps and it makes removing and installing the batteries a lengthy process.
Does anyone use a better "mouse trap" for this cheap hold down strap design?
Much obliged in advance for any better suggestions.
I don't really want the locking style since I remove the batteries when the TT is not in use.
Old 07-01-2019, 03:49 PM   #2

They sell a universal type mount that has a plate you bolt down with 2 studs and a piece that goes across the top to hold down. May have to do some trimming to fit but a hard piece across the top and a couple nuts are a low easier. I used a similar type mount in my step hold area when I went to AGM group 31 bats since my strap wasn't long enough.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:10 PM   #3

My first A-frame had a plastic dual battery box with a single web strap tying it down. Needless to say, Colorado and Nebraska winds sent that cover flying.

I ended up making a new cover out of thin plywood and 1x2. I attached 2 pairs of screw eyes to the cover and ran bungee cords from the screw eyes under the battery box frame and up to the other screw eye. Much simpler and easier to use than the web straps and their plastic buckles.

I'm sure you could do the same with eye bolts with washer reinforcements on a plastic box lid.

My new A-frame has a metal dual battery box with locking cover - overkill by the dealer who misunderstood what I wanted.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
prev 2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:43 PM   #4

I use cam-lock straps, the kind without the hooks on the end.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:47 PM   #5
Site Team

Slightly off topic, but remove the batteries and drill a 1/4" hole in the bottom at all four corners to drain water.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 07:59 AM   #6

I had the same issue on my boat. As a matter of fact one came loose allowing the battery to fall in the sump and break the live well pump. My solution was to take a ratchet strap and modify it. Never had a problem since. When the ones on the TT give me trouble that's what I'm going to do.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:03 AM   #7

I was just monkeying around with mine this weekend.

Here is what I found.. it's a black plastic clip that's in two parts, correct?

For me, there was a "hook" on the inside of one layer of the buckle that was supposed to go into a slot on the other layer. If you turn the side with the "hook" upward, you'll see that it fits in the bottom slot. It takes a bit of force but they eventually will click together.

Now that you have the buckle set up properly you know which side is up. Feed the strap around the battery box and over the top. The strap goes between the jagged teeth and then through the other side of the buckle.

You should notice that it's a lot stronger now.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 03:21 PM   #8

Straps

I have 1" cam straps from Amazon, $8 for 2. These have metal cam buckles and are 4' long. These will not rot in the sun and do not blow off. Much easier to take on and off. Look around boating supplies. NRC makes great straps that are a little more expensive, and are excellent quality. I have several in different lengths to hold kayaks on the trailer. Academy carries the NRC straps.
I also drill a 1/4' hole in the bottom of my plastic box @ the back low point to allow any water to drain.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 03:49 PM   #9

Cam Locks

I use the same cam locks for my batteries, they work great
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-07-02 13.44.20.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	509.9 KB
ID:	208767  
Old 07-03-2019, 08:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Slightly off topic, but remove the batteries and drill a 1/4" hole in the bottom at all four corners to drain water.
x79

Had a trailer for 15 years and always removed the battery in winter because it was stored outside and unplugged. last spring bought a new trailer and build a pole bar to store it in with electricity. Left it plugged in all winter. Boxes where full of water from the year of travel and froze solid. This cracked one of the batteries. $79 later I remembered that I had drilled holes in the old trailers box 15 years ago.
lewisra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 04:09 PM   #11

When I still had batteries on the A-frame I got rid of these straps, drilled two holes in lid even with top of battery and at the center of battery top. I then fastened down each battery with a Master Python 3/8" Cable Lock. Amazon sells them keyed alike so one key gives you access for maintenance. Cable locks not only hold tops down, they also make sure you retain ownership of the batteries longer.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 04:31 PM   #12

The batteries are housed in those plastic boxes to retain spilled battery acid. Drilling holes in the boxes allows any leaked acid to drain out. Not good. Be careful dumping any water you find inside as it may be acid and not water. I sprinkle baking soda in there and watch the reaction -- sometimes benign, sometimes exciting.

-- Chuck

Tags
battery