Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2014, 11:59 AM   #1

Battery Box Venting Required

I want to install 2 6volt batteries in the front compartment of my 5th wheel in a vented box.
I have called several RV dealers, and they only have the small boxes for 1 12 volt. Is it really necessary to place in a box with a vent. Can I just secure them to the floor. These are just regular golf cart batteries.
vikinghb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 12:22 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikinghb View Post
I want to install 2 6volt batteries in the front compartment of my 5th wheel in a vented box.
I have called several RV dealers, and they only have the small boxes for 1 12 volt. Is it really necessary to place in a box with a vent. Can I just secure them to the floor. These are just regular golf cart batteries.
Yes, batteries vent Hydrogen gas when charging. If allowed to accumulate it can be quite explosive.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 12:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Yes, batteries vent Hydrogen gas when charging. If allowed to accumulate it can be quite explosive.
X2 with VinceU on this,
I'll add a little more - the container should have a cover on it with vent ducting to the outside of the TT. Some use 2 vent ducts (one in low and one out high on the box) this provides air movement through natural heat rise causing the air to move through the box. Some folks add a small fan to make sure the air moves so hydrogen does not buildup in there. It is safer if you can find a place outside to mount battery boxes but inside works if done properly.

Be safe and enjoy your camping
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:38 PM   #4

Search on line, there's plenty to choose from. Side by side, end for end, etc. I'm sorry but I don't have links. I just remember seeing them when searching for a box for my set up. BTW, I made my own out of diamond plate aluminum.

2000 Cherokee 31BH, "flipped axles and raised",LEDs, solar, inverter, etc..aka "boondock ready". '07 Tundra 5.7L DC-LB, modded as well.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikinghb View Post
I added a second battery and connected both vents together with a tee. If you allow them them to vent without being sealed all your wire and any fuse blocks will be eaten up over time from the gas or acid that happens when charging. Besides being illegal and very dangerous.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:19 PM   #6

One day when you have a chance pop the covers off the battery and look at the plates, you'll see them covered in small bubbles. That's hydrogen gas which is what did the Hindenburg in. So yeah, gotta give it somewhere to go.

When I was searching for boxes to expand my battery collection I ran across several options for 6V setups. Just remember that it needs a vertical vent as hydrogen rises so you can't just vent it through the floor.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, vent