Old 12-12-2014, 08:16 AM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Not accurate, an automotive alternator will put out a lot more than a trickle charge, all depending on the specific alternator. They vary from the old ones around 45 amp up to some new ones will put out 200 amps. Most standard ones are in the 105-145amp range.
We are looking at a 2015 Volkswagen toureg diesel and I noticed that puppy has a 240 amp alternator!

Old 12-12-2014, 08:21 AM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrickim63 View Post
... The 20plus feet of 16 gauge wiring will limit the amount of current in amps the trailer will receive.
That's why Chevy recommends a 30a or 40a fuse in the 12v charge wire in the under hood fuse box and connects it with an 8 ga wire.

Old 12-12-2014, 10:51 AM   #13

Thank you, at least I now know that my RV battery will get some kind of charge while underway and running at night (or day) with the trailer lights on won't deplete the battery.

I'm not going to expect my Truck to charge my RV depleted battery, hopefully it won't start off or get that way. But if it does, I have a Honda Generator that can charge it up if I'm not near a 120 volt source for my inverter.
2015 Overnight Camping Days = 25, States Below:
SeaHarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 02:15 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHarley View Post
Thank you, at least I now know that my RV battery will get some kind of charge while underway and running at night (or day) with the trailer lights on won't deplete the battery.

I'm not going to expect my Truck to charge my RV depleted battery, hopefully it won't start off or get that way. But if it does, I have a Honda Generator that can charge it up if I'm not near a 120 volt source for my inverter.
Depending on how long you drive, i.e. if it is a 8-10 hr drive, you can rest assured your rv battery will be fully charged even if it started out practically fully discharged.

Tags
battery, cat, location