Old 10-21-2012, 08:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietTimes
We are just ready to order a new TT and the dealer suggested we switch to 6V batteries right away. If we do that then I'm going to presume we connect them together since the tender is 12V.... Thanks.
Great for boondocking, not necessary for service campgrounds.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:06 PM   #12

Just Plug it in???

In the summer when we are at home the camper is always plugged in so it is keeping the battery charged. Any reason why it can't just stay plugged in all winter and not take the battery off the camper? The battery is in a battery box.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:09 PM   #13

Hi Vince,

I assume when you say "boondocking" this is the same as others call "off the grid". Our favorite campsite has no electrical hookups available. We will be buying a genny - perhaps a Honda as we hear they are quiet. It's quite a hike to this site so we would be there 7 to 10 days.

So...... based on that should we do the 6V?
Old 10-21-2012, 10:14 PM   #14

Yup as other avid nature campers will tell you 6 volt golf cart batteries have a great deal more amp hour capacity than typical 12v deepcycle.
You need to research lead acid batteries in the info section Of this forum.
Lots has been written on the subject. I did lots of primitive state parks years back with candles and battery powered TV for news etc, been awhile!
Old 10-22-2012, 12:02 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietTimes View Post
We are just ready to order a new TT and the dealer suggested we switch to 6V batteries right away. If we do that then I'm going to presume we connect them together since the tender is 12V.... Thanks.
Well, there are different ways to connect them together; parallel and in series. You will want to connect them in series to make 12 volts.

I would think twice about whether you really need to go to two 6 volt batteries. I know all kinds of people swear by it, but we have never found the need. We have one 12 volt Group 30 Trojan that does us just fine; and we boondock for 2 to 3 weeks at a time. You are going to need a generator in that timeframe anyway. So that's what we do. And my wife loves to have 110 volts now and then for hairdryer, microwave, etc. And some people always are in electrical hookups, so there is no need to swap batteries in that scenario either. IMO, here is the only scenario for which it makes sense. You want to make sure you can boondock for 3 to 4 days and you don't want to run a generator or rules prohibit generators.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:54 PM   #16

Well it was a dealer who suggested the change and said they would set up the wiring. Money in his pocket. Since looks like we will be getting a genny anyway and changing over all the lights to LED's think we will just stick with the 12V until we give it a good try. Then go from there.
Days camped 2012 - 14 (not enough); Days camped 2013 - 41 (May - 3; June-16; July-10; Aug.-12) Still not enough...
Days camped 2014 - 23
QuietTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:58 PM   #17

Hey RCE, I picked up this one from my local Interstate Batteries dealer: Yuasa Battery, Inc.Automatic 12V 900 mA Battery Charger

Interstate seems to rebrand it with their name, but it's virtually identical. Friend of mine with a TT has one and likes it, and I've read good things about the Yuasa brand. Time will tell, I guess :-)

2009 Flagstaff 425D
2005 Avalanche ZR71
Hutch65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:29 AM   #18
rce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch65 View Post
Hey RCE, I picked up this one from my local Interstate Batteries dealer: Yuasa Battery, Inc.Automatic 12V 900 mA Battery Charger

Interstate seems to rebrand it with their name, but it's virtually identical. Friend of mine with a TT has one and likes it, and I've read good things about the Yuasa brand. Time will tell, I guess :-)
Thanks for the info. No doubt rebranding goes on! The Canadian Tire and Deltran battery tenders looked a lot alike!

Tags
battery