Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 05:09 PM   #1
rce
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 120
battery charger the right one?

I've been reading posts that say I should get a battery "tender" or "minder" to use with my TT battery when I bring it in for the winter.

What I found was a Motomaster Eliminator Intelligent Battery Charger at Canadian Tire (product # 011- 1518-8.)

Specs on box say it has advanced multistage charging. stage 1 Bulk Charge, Stage 2 Absorption charge & Stage 3 Maintenance Charge which "delivers constant float valtage as needed to maintain the battery at peak charge"

Is this OK to use? Or is a minder or tender better. Can't find any such charger locally or even online in Canada. Could order one from WalMart & pickup next time I am in USA (November)

Would appreciate your advice. Battery will likely be stored indoors for 6 months or so. Thanks!
__________________

__________________
rce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:32 PM   #2
Trailer Trash
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: MN
Posts: 608
I use a battery tender jr. These are very popular for motorcycle/atv/snowmobile batteries. They work just fine on larger automotive/rv/boat batteries.

Home page - Batterytender.com
__________________

__________________
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:50 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
GASPEDDLER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 755
I paid $20 at Walmart for this tender. I also use one on my jeep and both of my riding lawnmowers. If the battery is out of my TT, it's connected to this thing.
__________________

2012 F-350 4x4 King Ranch Super Duty CC 6.7 Turbo Diesel 3.55 e-locker
2011 Palomino Puma 30KFBDS with Side Paw Kitchen and Bunkhouse
Equalizer E2 Hitch
GASPEDDLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:45 PM   #4
rce
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 120
I'm wondering if the Motomaster charger is significantly inferior or not to the batteryminder jr or the one in the picture. The Motomaster charges at 12A in stage 1 and 2A in maintenance stage. Also just noticed it "reverses sulfate build-up".

Mind you if I could easily get my hands on the batteryminder jr I'd buy it! Not sure it is worth the aggrevation to try to get it in USA or shipped to Canada if the Motomaster would generally be OK. Generally USA warranty not valid in Canada on electronic items

(Motomaster also would have the benefit of fast charging a dead battery in my TV)

So how does the Motomaster sound to the experts out there?
__________________
rce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:16 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
VinceU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by rce View Post
I'm wondering if the Motomaster charger is significantly inferior or not to the batteryminder jr or the one in the picture. The Motomaster charges at 12A in stage 1 and 2A in maintenance stage. Also just noticed it "reverses sulfate build-up".

Mind you if I could easily get my hands on the batteryminder jr I'd buy it! Not sure it is worth the aggrevation to try to get it in USA or shipped to Canada if the Motomaster would generally be OK. Generally USA warranty not valid in Canada on electronic items

(Motomaster also would have the benefit of fast charging a dead battery in my TV)

So how does the Motomaster sound to the experts out there?
Seems to me this Motomaster is an all purpose battery tool in lieu of just doing "topping up". I'd rater have that If another battery needed help like a full charge necessary. It is in effect a full blown 3 stage charger with float (tender) ability. Let others weigh in on this. If you really want full capabilities this is it.
__________________
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:45 PM   #6
Trailer Trash
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: MN
Posts: 608
Buy the battery tender jr. via ebay Canada or just visit a motorsports toy store. Skidoo snowmobile store is were I would start. Batteries Plus store carry it also but don't know if that is in Canada.

What I like about the little jr. rig besides inexpensive price, is that it does not boil the water out of the battery like the bigger units do. The battery charger built into my new Columbus 320RS did just that. So 2-3 times a year I will have to pull the caps and add distilled water to my battery.

If you need a higher amp charge rate the jr. wont cut it. For overnight slow charge and maintenance is all the little jr. is good for. It also does battery conditioning and works well for the new AGM style batteries.
__________________
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:41 PM   #7
rce
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelek View Post
Buy the battery tender jr. via ebay Canada or just visit a motorsports toy store. Skidoo snowmobile store is were I would start. Batteries Plus store carry it also but don't know if that is in Canada.

What I like about the little jr. rig besides inexpensive price, is that it does not boil the water out of the battery like the bigger units do. The battery charger built into my new Columbus 320RS did just that. So 2-3 times a year I will have to pull the caps and add distilled water to my battery.

If you need a higher amp charge rate the jr. wont cut it. For overnight slow charge and maintenance is all the little jr. is good for. It also does battery conditioning and works well for the new AGM style batteries.
Thanks for the suggestions!

Ebay I hadn't thought of. Unfortunately shipping to Canada is more than the price of the battery tender jr. Taxes and duty (maybe) on top. Warranty issues too maybe.

Skidoo store is a great idea, one is real close by, even know the owner! Will check it out tomorrow.

Still if battery tender jr costs more than Motomaster is it worth the price differential or not. Specs I discovered on line for Motomaster claim it won't boil the battery.
__________________
rce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:49 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: michigan
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by GASPEDDLER View Post
I paid $20 at Walmart for this tender. I also use one on my jeep and both of my riding lawnmowers. If the battery is out of my TT, it's connected to this thing.

I bought the same one from Wal-mart...Price was right...couldn't pass the deal up! I keep the battery on the tender stored in the basement for the winter months..
__________________
2014 F150, Supercrew, 3.5L Eco-Boost, 3.73, Max Tow
2012 Prime Time Tracer 2670 BHS
TravelTracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:31 PM   #9
rce
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by rce View Post
I've been reading posts that say I should get a battery "tender" or "minder" to use with my TT battery when I bring it in for the winter.

What I found was a Motomaster Eliminator Intelligent Battery Charger at Canadian Tire (product # 011- 1518-8.)

Specs on box say it has advanced multistage charging. stage 1 Bulk Charge, Stage 2 Absorption charge & Stage 3 Maintenance Charge which "delivers constant float valtage as needed to maintain the battery at peak charge"

Is this OK to use? Or is a minder or tender better. Can't find any such charger locally or even online in Canada. Could order one from WalMart & pickup next time I am in USA (November)

Would appreciate your advice. Battery will likely be stored indoors for 6 months or so. Thanks!

So as an updare: YesterdayI bought the Motomaster charger at Canadian Tire, frustrated that I couldn't find an easy source for the Deltran battery Tender, drove home and picked up in our mailbox the Canadian Tire flyer for today
which has a brand new product & it goes on sale today ... the Deltran Battery Tender!!! Took the Motomaster charger back and bought the Battery Tender Plus! It has temperature compensation which the Junior model doesn't list as a feature. Hoping this will address my concern in my other thread about using the charger in a cold garage. One happy camper here! Sale is on until next Wednesday or untill stock runs out.
__________________
rce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:24 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
QuietTimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SW Ontario, Canada
Posts: 140
6V batteries

We are just ready to order a new TT and the dealer suggested we switch to 6V batteries right away. If we do that then I'm going to presume we connect them together since the tender is 12V.... Thanks.
__________________

__________________
QuietTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
battery

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:47 AM.