Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2012, 04:09 PM   #1
rce

battery charger the right one?

I've been reading posts that say I should get a battery "tender" or "minder" to use with my TT battery when I bring it in for the winter.

What I found was a Motomaster Eliminator Intelligent Battery Charger at Canadian Tire (product # 011- 1518-8.)

Specs on box say it has advanced multistage charging. stage 1 Bulk Charge, Stage 2 Absorption charge & Stage 3 Maintenance Charge which "delivers constant float valtage as needed to maintain the battery at peak charge"

Is this OK to use? Or is a minder or tender better. Can't find any such charger locally or even online in Canada. Could order one from WalMart & pickup next time I am in USA (November)

Would appreciate your advice. Battery will likely be stored indoors for 6 months or so. Thanks!
rce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:32 PM   #2
Trailer Trash

I use a battery tender jr. These are very popular for motorcycle/atv/snowmobile batteries. They work just fine on larger automotive/rv/boat batteries.

Home page - Batterytender.com
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:50 PM   #3

I paid $20 at Walmart for this tender. I also use one on my jeep and both of my riding lawnmowers. If the battery is out of my TT, it's connected to this thing.

2012 F-350 4x4 King Ranch Super Duty CC 6.7 Turbo Diesel 3.55 e-locker
2011 Palomino Puma 30KFBDS with Side Paw Kitchen and Bunkhouse
Equalizer E2 Hitch
GASPEDDLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:45 PM   #4
rce

I'm wondering if the Motomaster charger is significantly inferior or not to the batteryminder jr or the one in the picture. The Motomaster charges at 12A in stage 1 and 2A in maintenance stage. Also just noticed it "reverses sulfate build-up".

Mind you if I could easily get my hands on the batteryminder jr I'd buy it! Not sure it is worth the aggrevation to try to get it in USA or shipped to Canada if the Motomaster would generally be OK. Generally USA warranty not valid in Canada on electronic items

(Motomaster also would have the benefit of fast charging a dead battery in my TV)

So how does the Motomaster sound to the experts out there?
Old 10-15-2012, 08:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rce View Post
I'm wondering if the Motomaster charger is significantly inferior or not to the batteryminder jr or the one in the picture. The Motomaster charges at 12A in stage 1 and 2A in maintenance stage. Also just noticed it "reverses sulfate build-up".

Mind you if I could easily get my hands on the batteryminder jr I'd buy it! Not sure it is worth the aggrevation to try to get it in USA or shipped to Canada if the Motomaster would generally be OK. Generally USA warranty not valid in Canada on electronic items

(Motomaster also would have the benefit of fast charging a dead battery in my TV)

So how does the Motomaster sound to the experts out there?
Seems to me this Motomaster is an all purpose battery tool in lieu of just doing "topping up". I'd rater have that If another battery needed help like a full charge necessary. It is in effect a full blown 3 stage charger with float (tender) ability. Let others weigh in on this. If you really want full capabilities this is it.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:45 PM   #6
Trailer Trash

Buy the battery tender jr. via ebay Canada or just visit a motorsports toy store. Skidoo snowmobile store is were I would start. Batteries Plus store carry it also but don't know if that is in Canada.

What I like about the little jr. rig besides inexpensive price, is that it does not boil the water out of the battery like the bigger units do. The battery charger built into my new Columbus 320RS did just that. So 2-3 times a year I will have to pull the caps and add distilled water to my battery.

If you need a higher amp charge rate the jr. wont cut it. For overnight slow charge and maintenance is all the little jr. is good for. It also does battery conditioning and works well for the new AGM style batteries.
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:41 PM   #7
rce

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelek View Post
Buy the battery tender jr. via ebay Canada or just visit a motorsports toy store. Skidoo snowmobile store is were I would start. Batteries Plus store carry it also but don't know if that is in Canada.

What I like about the little jr. rig besides inexpensive price, is that it does not boil the water out of the battery like the bigger units do. The battery charger built into my new Columbus 320RS did just that. So 2-3 times a year I will have to pull the caps and add distilled water to my battery.

If you need a higher amp charge rate the jr. wont cut it. For overnight slow charge and maintenance is all the little jr. is good for. It also does battery conditioning and works well for the new AGM style batteries.
Thanks for the suggestions!

Ebay I hadn't thought of. Unfortunately shipping to Canada is more than the price of the battery tender jr. Taxes and duty (maybe) on top. Warranty issues too maybe.

Skidoo store is a great idea, one is real close by, even know the owner! Will check it out tomorrow.

Still if battery tender jr costs more than Motomaster is it worth the price differential or not. Specs I discovered on line for Motomaster claim it won't boil the battery.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASPEDDLER View Post
I paid $20 at Walmart for this tender. I also use one on my jeep and both of my riding lawnmowers. If the battery is out of my TT, it's connected to this thing.

I bought the same one from Wal-mart...Price was right...couldn't pass the deal up! I keep the battery on the tender stored in the basement for the winter months..
Old 10-18-2012, 08:31 PM   #9
rce

Quote:
Originally Posted by rce View Post
I've been reading posts that say I should get a battery "tender" or "minder" to use with my TT battery when I bring it in for the winter.

What I found was a Motomaster Eliminator Intelligent Battery Charger at Canadian Tire (product # 011- 1518-8.)

Specs on box say it has advanced multistage charging. stage 1 Bulk Charge, Stage 2 Absorption charge & Stage 3 Maintenance Charge which "delivers constant float valtage as needed to maintain the battery at peak charge"

Is this OK to use? Or is a minder or tender better. Can't find any such charger locally or even online in Canada. Could order one from WalMart & pickup next time I am in USA (November)

Would appreciate your advice. Battery will likely be stored indoors for 6 months or so. Thanks!

So as an updare: YesterdayI bought the Motomaster charger at Canadian Tire, frustrated that I couldn't find an easy source for the Deltran battery Tender, drove home and picked up in our mailbox the Canadian Tire flyer for today
which has a brand new product & it goes on sale today ... the Deltran Battery Tender!!! Took the Motomaster charger back and bought the Battery Tender Plus! It has temperature compensation which the Junior model doesn't list as a feature. Hoping this will address my concern in my other thread about using the charger in a cold garage. One happy camper here! Sale is on until next Wednesday or untill stock runs out.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:24 PM   #10

6V batteries

We are just ready to order a new TT and the dealer suggested we switch to 6V batteries right away. If we do that then I'm going to presume we connect them together since the tender is 12V.... Thanks.
QuietTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietTimes
We are just ready to order a new TT and the dealer suggested we switch to 6V batteries right away. If we do that then I'm going to presume we connect them together since the tender is 12V.... Thanks.
Great for boondocking, not necessary for service campgrounds.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:06 PM   #12

Just Plug it in???

In the summer when we are at home the camper is always plugged in so it is keeping the battery charged. Any reason why it can't just stay plugged in all winter and not take the battery off the camper? The battery is in a battery box.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:09 PM   #13

Hi Vince,

I assume when you say "boondocking" this is the same as others call "off the grid". Our favorite campsite has no electrical hookups available. We will be buying a genny - perhaps a Honda as we hear they are quiet. It's quite a hike to this site so we would be there 7 to 10 days.

So...... based on that should we do the 6V?
Old 10-21-2012, 09:14 PM   #14

Yup as other avid nature campers will tell you 6 volt golf cart batteries have a great deal more amp hour capacity than typical 12v deepcycle.
You need to research lead acid batteries in the info section Of this forum.
Lots has been written on the subject. I did lots of primitive state parks years back with candles and battery powered TV for news etc, been awhile!
Old 10-21-2012, 11:02 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietTimes View Post
Well, there are different ways to connect them together; parallel and in series. You will want to connect them in series to make 12 volts.

I would think twice about whether you really need to go to two 6 volt batteries. I know all kinds of people swear by it, but we have never found the need. We have one 12 volt Group 30 Trojan that does us just fine; and we boondock for 2 to 3 weeks at a time. You are going to need a generator in that timeframe anyway. So that's what we do. And my wife loves to have 110 volts now and then for hairdryer, microwave, etc. And some people always are in electrical hookups, so there is no need to swap batteries in that scenario either. IMO, here is the only scenario for which it makes sense. You want to make sure you can boondock for 3 to 4 days and you don't want to run a generator or rules prohibit generators.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:54 PM   #16

Well it was a dealer who suggested the change and said they would set up the wiring. Money in his pocket. Since looks like we will be getting a genny anyway and changing over all the lights to LED's think we will just stick with the 12V until we give it a good try. Then go from there.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:58 PM   #17

Hey RCE, I picked up this one from my local Interstate Batteries dealer: Yuasa Battery, Inc.Automatic 12V 900 mA Battery Charger

Interstate seems to rebrand it with their name, but it's virtually identical. Friend of mine with a TT has one and likes it, and I've read good things about the Yuasa brand. Time will tell, I guess :-)

2009 Flagstaff 425D
2005 Avalanche ZR71
Hutch65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:29 AM   #18
rce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch65 View Post
Hey RCE, I picked up this one from my local Interstate Batteries dealer: Yuasa Battery, Inc.Automatic 12V 900 mA Battery Charger

Interstate seems to rebrand it with their name, but it's virtually identical. Friend of mine with a TT has one and likes it, and I've read good things about the Yuasa brand. Time will tell, I guess :-)
Thanks for the info. No doubt rebranding goes on! The Canadian Tire and Deltran battery tenders looked a lot alike!

Tags
battery