Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2011, 02:53 PM   #1

Battery charging alternative?

The chassis battery on my 2011 Sunseeker does not charge when the unit is connected to external AC power nor when the generator is running. (There is no increased voltage on the chassis battery under either condition.) The coach battery does properly charge under these conditions.

My unit has an emergency start button in the cab. I am wondering if it could be maintained in the activated position for an extended period of time while connected to shore power or when running the generator to shunt power to the chassis battery for charging. Is there some reason why this should not be done?

I realize I could charge the chassis battery by running the engine or by connecting the battery to an external charger. It just seems the emergency start button would be a convenient way of charging the battery if no harm would be done.
Al Fresco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 03:46 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

How long are you parking, and why do you think you need to charge the chassis battery? Inquiring minds want to know.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 04:17 PM   #3

Windrider,

I have a Sirius satellite radio operating through the cab radio system. In order to run the satellite radio, the ignition key has to be turned to the accessory position and the cab radio must be turned on. I have not actually determined the draw on the chassis battery from operating the Sirius radio, but I am assuming that, over an extended period of usage, it could be significant. That is why I am curious about using the emergency start switch to charge the battery.

I am more concerned about charging the chassis battery after using the radio while camping several days without hookups.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:23 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

In that instance, since you normally have an unused normal house plug on the pole, I would get a battery tender, and just run it off an extension cord. This should keep the battery up nicely.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:09 PM   #5

My primary concern relates to using the emergency start switch to charge the chassis battery from the generator when external power is not available.

I am unsure if continuously holding the emergency start switch in the on position to carry out this process might cause problems (possibly with the solenoid). Is anyone aware if there are any downsides to using this procedure?

Thanks in advance for any additional input on this matter.

Tags
battery