Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2017, 02:05 PM   #1

Battery Charging Help Please

The battery on our new Clipper Cadet doesnt have a monitor so we would be guessing where we are as far as power left. I wonder if I can install an after market monitor so we can tell where we are at. Would appreciate any suggestions.

We are in the same boat for our water levels in all three tanks. Are there after market monitors that can be added.

Thanks for any info you could provide

Ken
KenFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:58 PM   #2
Site Team

All RV'ers should have and know how to use a multimeter.

Use that to check your battery but not when plugged into shore power.

Wow, that's the first newer TT that I've heard of that didn't have a panel for battery charge level and holding tanks levels.
I know the the Cadet is a base entry-level trailer but not including a panel is not right.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 03:21 PM   #3

Dan,

Thanks I will have to get one. The 2018 Cadet is an entry level and light weight.
We are happy with what we got. At 2404 lbs dry weight we could tow with our GMC Terrain no problem. Yes it would be nice to have the panel but the sale price was good for us. Do you know if there is an inexpensive panel at least for the battery.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Ken
Old 09-13-2017, 03:25 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Simply wire in a 12v digital display.
Something like this for a few $...

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:12 PM   #5

Here is a good monitor for ya...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013PKYILS...d=BYFWLHEZIKSN

Here is a simple plug in... also can charge your cell phone, etc

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
clintbonnie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:33 PM   #6

This is pricier but covers it all:

709 SeeLevel II Tank Monitor System
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 01:03 PM   #7

As for the tank level sensors, I replaced those stupid factory 1/3rd level lights with SeeLevel sensors. I am EXTREMELY PLEASED with their performance! They read in 1% increments!

They are flexible circuit boards which adhere to the OUTSIDE wall of your tanks. They read the liquid level right through the wall. I have used similar sensors in industrial settings. So no more false readings caused by solids sticking to the inner wall of your black water tank. They aren't hard to install once you read the instructions a few times, although the website is a bit complicated. And they only need one single pair of wires from your EXISTING wiring to work for all your tanks. I could not find a dealer who had installed them so I did it myself. It was not hard and I am really, really pleased. The product quality and performance is top notch!

For the battery monitor I Victron Energy BMV-700. Very pleased with it too, but it's not just a plug in, it's an electrical project to install it.
bob5560g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:08 PM   #8

If you want to actully monitor your battery state of charge...the plug in voltmeters will not do that. You need an actual battery monitor...Victron or Trimetric... which go for $150 or so and will allow you to know the following things in real time that a voltmeter will NOT.
Actual battery state of charge. 50%...20%...100% etc.
Amps being used
Individual item amp draw
When you are 100% charged and can stop charging
When you are 50% discharged and need to recharge so as not to shorten the life of your batteries.
How long your battery will last at present use rates before you need to recharge.

The things both voltmeters and monitors will tell you are:
Whether your battery charger is working.
Whether your battery is dead.

If you plan to boondock raather than plug in.. a monitor not an LED display voltmeter is what you need.
Installation is simple and consists of 3 wires and drilling a hole for where you want to mount the display.
See Victron BMV700 series.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:34 PM   #9

I have used a monitor (without external shunt) for 10 years boon docking and I can tell the state of charge of my battery no problem.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:49 PM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

A voltmeter/LED display has told me a lot about battery condition for many years.

Learn what volt readings mean and it will tell you more than just whether the converter/charger is working or that the battery is dead.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 04:09 PM   #11

A voltmeter can ONLY tell you with accuracy what I said. All voltage measurements to be accurate for state of charge must be taken on a battery that is disconnected and where it has not been charged or used for 24 hours. You may take educated guesses at what the voltage readings mean...but you can't be accurate. You'll also waste a lot of gas trying to be sure you've charged fully to 100% OR kill a lot of batteries off early by not getting to 100% because you got tired of running the genny or engine.
Citation: Monitoring battery charge

I'd also like to point out the Balmar Smart Gauge mentioned in the article as recommendations here have either been for the Victron or Trimetric gauges.
The Balmar is actually the most accurate of all the meters based on head to head testing and compensates for battery aging and loss of capacity when measuring...but it is $260... $100 bucks more than the Victron which seems to do the job for most folks well.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 04:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
A voltmeter/LED display has told me a lot about battery condition for many years.

Learn what volt readings mean and it will tell you more than just whether the converter/charger is working or that the battery is dead.
Exactly!

I don't need to know my battery status right to the 1 amp hr or 1/10 of a volt range, but I guess some people do.
My current GC2's are 7 years old and are still in prime condition monitoring them the way I do.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting

Old 09-14-2017, 05:32 PM   #13

FWIW, I find that when boondocking without shore power and using no 12 volt power during the night (except for the LP/CO detector), then checking the voltage in the morning gives me a usable SOC reading on the battery.

I compare the voltage to a standard volts/SOC chart. I have found that a battery at rest for 8 hours is within 5% of 24 hour at rest voltage. Close enough for me.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFitz View Post
Dan,

Thanks I will have to get one. The 2018 Cadet is an entry level and light weight.
We are happy with what we got. At 2404 lbs dry weight we could tow with our GMC Terrain no problem. Yes it would be nice to have the panel but the sale price was good for us. Do you know if there is an inexpensive panel at least for the battery.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Ken
There is a chart of voltage vs state of charge. But in a nutshell. A brand new battery, at rest (meaning no load and been off charger for several hours) fully charged will sit at 12.7 volts. If the resting ,no load voltage drops below 12.0 v, you are passing 50 percent capacity. Running voltage below that will progressively damage the battery. Under load that might be 11 v or 11.5 volts where damage starts. I shoot to never drop mine below resting voltage of 12.2. That They May live long and prosper.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:59 PM   #15

I will be installing one of those fancy Victron battery monitors but only because I like gadgets. A simple reading of the battery using a multimeter with no load and no charge will give you the SOC pretty accurately. You do need to measure the battery around 20 minutes after it has been under charge so the surface charge goes away or put a small load on it for a couple minutes.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 06:51 AM   #16

Thanks to all who sent a response. It is a bit overwhelming with so many options and not having the experience to help me make the decision. That said you are all very generous with your advice. I think I am going to go with the multimeter as I can borrow one for our first trip. After that I can make a more informed decision. Thanks again.

Ken
Old 09-15-2017, 07:14 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
I will be installing one of those fancy Victron battery monitors but only because I like gadgets. A simple reading of the battery using a multimeter with no load and no charge will give you the SOC pretty accurately. You do need to measure the battery around 20 minutes after it has been under charge so the surface charge goes away or put a small load on it for a couple minutes.
That's the best reason to install one!
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 11:21 AM   #18

Print out this SOC chart and take it with you.

2007 Surveyor SV230

Tags
battery, charging