Old 06-01-2014, 02:31 PM   #31

Wrapping it up. I sent an email to the manufacturers of my converter and this was their reply.

Disconnect the batteries, and turn off as much 12 volt load as possible. Monitor the voltage at the blue wire and DC negative (battery negative). The voltage at no load really should be close to 13.8VDC measured with a good quality voltmeter. Turn on 12 volt light bulbs one at the time. See how many bulbs will illuminate until the voltage drops below 12.5volts. Each incandescent lamp (bulb) will draw about 1.5 amperes. Total that amp load. If the voltage drops below 12.5 with significantly less than a total of 55 ampere load, the converter section would be considered defective and would require replacement.

Unfortunately, without a DC ammeter capable of reading 55-60 DC amperes to use in conjunction with the voltmeter, you cannot know with absolute certainty the converter is defective. However the test above works very well most of the time.

When I did this my reading were very erratic. In the 22 then 9 but mostly around 9. So I determined the converter was bad and decided to call Randy at Bestconverter and get me a Progressive Dynamic 4600 series. It came yesterday and I had it installed with a couple hours of it arriving at my doorstep. I may do one more post in a week or so saying how it has performed for me. The install was not bad at all. I am looking forward to having my batteries charge quicker and not worry about overcharging.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:50 AM   #32
Site Team - Lou

That test procedure is now added to my "bag of tricks" -
Thanks for following it up.

Herk

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:30 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
That test procedure is now added to my "bag of tricks" -
Thanks for following it up.

Herk
Herk how do you add stuff like this? do you print and scan it in your computer or can you save it somehow in the forum somewhere? Thanks Glenn
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:44 PM   #34
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Herk how do you add stuff like this? do you print and scan it in your computer or can you save it somehow in the forum somewhere? Thanks Glenn
I cut and pasted the procedure from the post to Word; then edited it into something I can follow as "steps"; then save to the Herkbrary in the ELECTRICAL\WFCO CONVERTER folder as a PDF.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TEST FOR LOAD.pdf (24.1 KB, 57 views)

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:17 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
I cut and pasted the procedure from the post to Word; then edited it into something I can follow as "steps"; then save to the Herkbrary in the ELECTRICAL\WFCO CONVERTER folder as a PDF.
Got it thanks that's a great Idea..... By the way you would love it here at SEA MIST in Virginia Beach at the Oceano NAS. Jet's just fly over us all day long doing all kindas of formations.......Sorry for the high jack....

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charging, converter