Old 10-26-2014, 07:26 PM   #1

Battery Charging with a Battery Switch

I am now the proud owner of a new small Class C motorhome. We purchased a 2015 Forester 2501 TS and so far it has been great.

When I turn off the built in Battery Switch near the door, are the batteries isolated from everything or will they continue to charge from the built in charger/converter? I am considering a battery tender to try and prevent the converter/charger from "cooking" my coach batteries during the winter like my last few RV's have done. JH

Old 10-26-2014, 08:04 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by micpib1 View Post
I am now the proud owner of a new small Class C motorhome. We purchased a 2015 Forester 2501 TS and so far it has been great.

When I turn off the built in Battery Switch near the door, are the batteries isolated from everything or will they continue to charge from the built in charger/converter? I am considering a battery tender to try and prevent the converter/charger from "cooking" my coach batteries during the winter like my last few RV's have done. JH
Most commonly, the switch isolates the batteries, no charge.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:14 PM   #3

A good converter should not cook your battery.The new ones are very smart and sensitive.Mine runs all summer-then I pull the battery and bring it inside for the winter.
Old 10-26-2014, 08:34 PM   #4
2012 Solera

Believe it depends on the build date of your MH. From other posts on this forum I understand Forest River changed the "C" wiring to have the converter stay connected with the switch in either position. I also understand FR changed converter manufacturer to Progressive Dynamics (from WFCO). Both converters should not cook the batteries...
Try looking through the posts in the Forester, Sunseeker and Solera forums. BClemens is a factory Rep who has posted on this subject in those areas.
JLeising is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charging