Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2018, 01:13 PM   #1

Battery compartment corrosion - Options?

A couple of years back, I had a battery crack and drain fluid into the (integrated) battery compartment of my FR Sunseeker 3210. The battery compartment is located below the steps into the RV. The floor (and part of the sides) of the compartment have significant corrosion/wall thickness thinning to the point where I’m concerned a hole will appear soon.

What are my options for repair here? Was thinking I would have to take to a metal shop and have them weld in a new compartment. Is there anything simpler that would solve this issue?
Cougguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 02:37 PM   #2
Certified Curmudgeon

Besides full replacement, the only other option I can think of is to build a frame that can be bolted in and attach new sheet metal to that.
Old 05-07-2018, 02:41 PM   #3

have you tried to neutralize any of that area with baking soda/water solution then flood it with water, dry and paint? Maybe drop in a metal or wood plate for some additional support?

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 02:53 PM   #4

I did as rsdata described, painted with Flex-Seal and then bought a couple battery trays at the local boat dealer.

Phil
PhilG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 03:21 PM   #5

There are a number of rust neutralizers that can be brushed on, allowed to sit for 24 hrs, and the rusted area will turn black. Ospho is one example. If there is a lot of scale, it needs to be scraped or sanded off before applying the chemical. The walls/floor on the battery compartment is relatively thick. Once this is done, I would suggest spraying the floor and walls of the compartment with Rustoleum Bed liner material.

Ace Hardware has a good line of rust neutralizers in liquid form. The spray on Rustomeum bed liner material is available at Ace or the automotive section of WalMart.

In the early 1990s, I helped our son restore a 69 Mustang. He wanted to do all of it on his own money, so we neutralized some of the rusted body parts rather than new panels. He still has the Mustang and the rust has not come through. We used Ospho.

I currently am working on a 2000 model boat trailer. The trailer is in excellent conditions except for some of the welds that are starting to rust the paint away. I power washed those areas, wire brushed, and applied Ospho. Those areas have now turned black. They have not shown signs of rust after recent rains.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery