Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2012, 05:53 PM   #1

Battery Connections

I'm forever confused with electrical connections because vehicles, houses, and RVs don't seem to be on the same page. I have a 2004 Rockwood Premier 2576G E-Z Glide popup. It has two black wires, two red wires, and one white. Which ones get connected to the + battery post and which to the -? Or, do I need begin tracing wires or invest in an ohm meter? Thanks!
Old 12-07-2012, 06:03 PM   #2

I believe that the following should be correct.

Red. 12vdc positive
Black 12vdc negative
White usually goes to a switched circuit

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:43 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

Wiring is all over the map with these RVs. Why? I don't know.

I suggest metering to the frame to confirm what is ground or not; regardless of color.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:23 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

X2. Metering is the best approach to avoid a mistake in wiring. This usually takes an in-person approach to truly find the correct wiring configuration.

Is it possible to follow the cables? For example, a cable leading to and attached to the frame is negative. The negative battery cable usually doesn't go too far before connecting to the frame.

If you cannot ID the wires that way, then use a multimeter and check for continuity. If buying new, I would suggest a multimeter, which will help now but also includes other functions that you might find handy for other tests down the road. Read through your digital multimeter's instructions on how to check for continuity.

Not that you asked, but whatever you do, please don't do the backyard mechanic's "SPARK" test to see what is neg or pos.

Once you ID which wire is which, make sure to label them correctly and take pictures that you can store in the camper for future reference.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:53 PM   #5

Think SAFETY!

Batteries blow up, fires are caused, machines are damaged, and people are seriously hurt around batteries. Your caution is appropriate.

Invest in a meter, wear safety equipment like glasses or a face shield, think. When in doubt, don't! If a few bucks is the problem, take a second job.

Lead-acid cells are dangerous for many reasons-- hydrogen gas is given off, acid eats through skin and clothing, explosions happen. That's not to say that other batteries (GEL, AGM, etc) are safer, they are not.

A friend decided to add another battery to his RV. He placed it aside the first one, but in the dimly lit and fined space, he proceeded to connect the interconnecting wiring. Upon contacting the terminal with his last wire, the battery exploded.

His face was burned by the flash, acid ate his shirt, the wire he used was vaporized in the middle, the new battery was ruined. He’s lucky, he isn’t blind, or worse-- dead. Fortunately, he wears standard glasses, but, he wasn’t using safety glasses or a face shield which is why his face is like it is.

Obviously, no one really cares about the fire caused by the flash which damaged the surrounding area, the battery which is now useless, or the paint-free area cleaned by acid. Who cares about his shirt, too? All of this can be replaced. But, imagine what could have been against what actually was.

It’s your choice.
traveler2955 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, electrical, wiring