Old 05-04-2016, 11:01 AM   #1

Battery/Converter

This might be a stupid question that I should have the answer to:

Do I need to have my battery connected when hooked up to shore power in order for the electrical systems to function? My old trailer (a 1996 model) works when plugged into shore power with no battery on the trailer. On my current TT (2013 Cascade), I get nothing when plugged into shore power with no battery. Once I connect the battery, it all works. Is that normal or is my converter or something else having an issue?

I'm not new to RVing, but definitely a rookie on electrical issues.

Old 05-04-2016, 11:17 AM   #2

Mine doesn't. I usually check my 12V systems by turning on everything on battery, then switching to shore power and disconnecting the battery to see if everything still works.

I have heard of converters that require a load to operate, but I haven't seen one personally. What is the model number on yours?

Old 05-04-2016, 11:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by raspivey View Post
Mine doesn't. I usually check my 12V systems by turning on everything on battery, then switching to shore power and disconnecting the battery to see if everything still works.

I have heard of converters that require a load to operate, but I haven't seen one personally. What is the model number on yours?
Thanks for the response. I'm away from the trailer this morning, so not sure of the model number.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:24 AM   #4

Oh...and check out the breaker for the converter itself. I had a breaker trip some time ago and I kept missing it because it didn't obviously look tripped.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:49 AM   #5

From all of the reading that I have done, your converter should work without a battery physically connected. However, if you have a battery disconnect, that cannot be off for the converter to work. You can disconnect the battery or not even have it present.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 11:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
From all of the reading that I have done, your converter should work without a battery physically connected. However, if you have a battery disconnect, that cannot be off for the converter to work. You can disconnect the battery or not even have it present.
Thanks! I'm hoping my converter isn't shot. I'm having one of my employees (electrician) look at it today or tomorrow.

Tags
battery, converter