Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2015, 02:09 PM   #1

battery didn't charge

TT sat for a couple, 3 weeks but I did flip the disconnect switch. Plugged into shore power for 2 days to get the fridge cold before we headed out last weekend. As we were hooking up we noticed there was almost no battery for the power tongue jack Grrrr. After two 3 hr drives and being hooked up to shore power all weekend the battery still did not charge. We did flip the disconnect switch a few times during all this time. Got home and hooked up to shore power again and Voila. The battery started to charge. We are putting a full charge with the battery charger but wondering if this is a common problem. Thinking it might be the switch?
tstanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 02:33 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

You had the battery disconnect switch turned to off with shore power plugged in and the battery didn't charge?

If that's true, think about that a second.

TURBS
2008 duramax
2015 columbus 320RS
2015 camping "31 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 02:38 PM   #3

Is there more than one wire hooked to the battery positive post? If so, your disconnect switch is being partially bypassed by those other wires.

But on re-reading your post, it seems you have a loose connection somewhere between the converter and the batteries to get sometimes on, sometimes off battery charging. This loose connection could be inside the battery disconnect. Other possibility would be a failing converter.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 03:02 PM   #4

No, I turned the disconnect switch on before I plugged into shore power. ;-) I have never had this before. I always shut down the battery when the TT sits. Had the battery run down a little, disconnected, but not dead. And I always hook up to shore, before a trip, to get the fridge cold and I turn the switch to on. TT is new in January.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:12 PM   #5

Checked the battery, only one wire on the positive and the neg. Checked all the connections I could see and all seem tight. I guess I will wait and see if it happens again. If so I'll have to take it in. It is under warranty but repairs can take FOOORRREEVVERRRRRR!!
Old 10-23-2015, 04:53 AM   #6

You stated your unit is still under warranty so I assume it is relatively new. This is unlikely for a new unit but you may want to check it before you take it to the dealer. Sometimes connections can look good but still have corrosion. Take the connections apart and be sure they are clean. I've had connections that looked good but weren't. Sometimes the connection would read okay with a voltmeter but wouldn't carry much current.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 08:23 PM   #7

Took the battery in to get it tested at Interstate down the road. It had a bad cell. Got a new one under the warranty. Hopefully that's the only problem.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:24 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Out of curiosity, what battery model is it?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 09:14 PM   #9

Exide Stowaway. New in January.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:49 PM   #10

I had a new battery crap out in July. Only a few months old, I thought. I checked and the battery is more than a year old. Heat and cold can really damage a battery if it is deep cycled too much (even if it is supposed to be a "Deep Cycle Marine" battery). Sometimes they have defective cells. It does happen.
elchilero53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery