Old 11-21-2008, 07:31 AM   #11
Head Rambler
Just a thought here.

A lot of converters warn about running them wthout a battery connected. All of you that disconnect your batteries but leave your converter powered might want to check your converter manual to make sure you're not shortening the life of your converter by doing that.

Having said that I keep my unit plugged in all the time and leave the batteries connected and I only have to add water about once every 6 months. Most converters these days are very good at battery maintenance and don't boil your batteries dry like they did a few years ago.

Salem 29RKSS Pushing a 2500 Mega-Cab CTD!
Gotta go campin!
Bama Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 06:38 PM   #12
Thanks guys for all you input.

Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 01:32 PM   #13
Kat, how are you enjoying that new 295? We got ours new about 7 mo. ago and have been pleased so far. The converter on ours was kaput the day we did the pdi and was replaced by the dealer. We also exchanged 12v to 2 6v batteries, and that has worked fine so far. Glad you asked the disconnect question, I wondered too. Of course, I was confused as to why when a "disconnect" switch was "on" the batteries were connected! Guess I am a literalist. Ha.
granite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 02:22 PM   #14
We took it out for the first time last weekend to a park around the corner to familar myself with all the switches and functions of and RV. It was GREAT me and my wife Kat loved it. Got a couple questions for you. 1) what is the big rocker switch by the front door operate---- 2) there is a small switch by the pump and heater that stands alone and turns red when activated, what does this do in your trailer. Mine is gen prep only and maybe this would turn it on. We had another couple join us for that weekend and had lots of room to move around with the rear dinett down and no quads in them. Very inpresed with it. Cant wait to get to the Oregon dunes this summer. I hear the dual 6 volts work great thanks for conforming that. Not sure if I have a convertor but i do have a solar charger and a battery indactor light to check the battery and charge when necessary by turning the battery switch to on while pluged in to 110 power at home.
Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:24 PM   #15
Just like kydan said. I have my switch located at the battery and leave it off most of the time. Befor i installed it i added water to my battery a few times.Hope I wasn't to late.I leave my camper plugged in all the time.
hberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:01 AM   #16
Rocker Switch.Do you have a 120 volt outlet up high outside close to the end of your awning for pluging in your awning lights.
Small Switch.I have a small switch that turns red when I have my holding tank heaters on.Do you have tank heaters?
cat1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 04:30 AM   #17
As far as extension cords go, I use a heavy duty 12 gauge not a standard 14 gauge. Although my camper is next to the garage I do not have an out side receiptical at the camper, I run the extension cord from the middle of the garage at the side wall on to the floor and under the garage door and then back down the out side of the garage and then plug the camper in, it is approx 26' of cord. One day I will install a receiptical on the out side of the wall for 30 amps so I can run everything in the camper if I need to.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:13 AM   #18
Battery Disconnect

I purchased a Marine type battery disconnect switch. I had one on my Sunline when I purchased it, so I didn't take notice as to which lead was sent to the disconnect. The switch doesn't come with instructions for any connections. The Positive or Negative will work, but I was wondering if anyone had any preferences. I always towed with the switch on so the breakaway switch shouldn't be an issue. So Positive or Negative?
GingersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:16 AM   #19
Site Team - Lou
Rule of Thumb

My understanding is to always switch positive.

That way if there is a short to ground some where in the system, current will not flow.

That is why household current always switches the black wire (positive in DC talk) and not the neutral (negative in DC talk).

Here is my setup:

I was almost finished in this photo and the black connector wire between batteries was not finished. I used two sink dish wash tubs for the battery box.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:23 PM   #20
i do not have the manual for my 2003 cardinal. does it have a disconnect switch somewhere. i can not find anything like what is being mentioned?

torroo is offline   Reply With Quote