Originally Posted by rvpezzano
When plugged in at a campground for an extended stay(a month or more), can you hit the battery disconnect switch to off to prevent over charging the house batteries? I have a 2008 Georgetown.
I would not do this for these reasons:
1. If the batteries are overcharging, it is because one or both batteries have an internal short.
2. The battery charger cannot overcharge a good battery because the resistance of the battery approaches infinity as it becomes fully charged.
3. The converter has an amperage limit (I don't recall what it is) and it is not sufficient to run large ampere drain items such as slides/levelers.
4. Running large ampere items with just the converter will cause the voltage to drop and you'll start blowing fuses and throwing circuit breakers
5. Large voltage drops and then the subsequent surge when you remove the load can damage sensitive electronics. Batteries (if connected) will absorb the surge.
6. A discharged battery may freeze as the electrolyte level will be low.
If your batteries are bad, replace the batteries as that will be the end result anyway.