Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2016, 03:02 PM   #1

Battery Disconnect Switch ?

You'll know I'm new at this by my questions: 1) I have a "Battery Disconnect" switch: on or off. So, when I'm hooked up to electric service and DO NOT want to draw from the coach batteries which position should the disconnect switch be in? Does "off" mean the coach batteries are off or does it mean the disconnect is off and power comes from the coach batteries? Inquiring minds need to know. 2) Also, if connected to an electrical service, are the coach batteries automatically bypassed in which case it doesn't matter which position the disconnect battery switch is in? 3) If not connected to electric service, which position turns the coach batteries off so they don't get drained?
MDTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 05:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDTony View Post
You'll know I'm new at this by my questions: 1) I have a "Battery Disconnect" switch: on or off. So, when I'm hooked up to electric service and DO NOT want to draw from the coach batteries which position should the disconnect switch be in? Does "off" mean the coach batteries are off or does it mean the disconnect is off and power comes from the coach batteries? Inquiring minds need to know. 2) Also, if connected to an electrical service, are the coach batteries automatically bypassed in which case it doesn't matter which position the disconnect battery switch is in? 3) If not connected to electric service, which position turns the coach batteries off so they don't get drained?
If you're on shore power, or driving, and the switch is on this keeps your batteries charged up. If not on shore power and the switch is off, all 12v power is disconnected ( except - an electric step which in my experience is always connected). If you're on shore power and turn the switch off ... I'm not sure I've never done that!

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:19 PM   #3

Many thanks.
MDTony is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, battery disconnect, switch