Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2018, 02:11 PM   #1
Scoundrel

Battery Disconnect Switch - Comment

Just commenting on something I observed today... My battery disconnect switch is located next to the converter. With my Micro-Lite covered for the winter and no solar battery charging, I plug into shore power for several days once a month to keep the batteries topped off. I always thought that I had to have the battery disconnect switch turned to the "connect" position to get juice from the converter to the batteries. Apparently thats not the case.

Today, before plugging in, I checked my battery monitor and it showed my batteries charged to 12.6v. After plugging in and with the battery disconnect switch still off, my battery monitor showed 12.7v and the battery icon was pulsing. I thought the disconnect switch cut off the batteries entirely from everything. Not so.

So now I will install a second cut-off switch at the battery box so that I know I can isolate the batteries from everything.

Rich J.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 02:29 PM   #2
Site Team

Something seems strange. If the battery disconnect switch allows the battery to be connected to the output of the converter, then it will be powering the 12V rail of the distribution panel and over the month probably draw down the battery to below 12.6V. When Since you only saw a 0.1VDC change between when not plugged in and when plugged in, I think it may just be the tolerance in the battery monitor. I would check it with a digital meter connected to the battery.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 02:37 PM   #3
Scoundrel

Thanks. When the battery disconnect switch is "off", nothing 12v works. CO/LP detector goes out.

My battery monitor (solar) stays connected to the batteries all the time and like most solar installations is seperate from other charging systems in the camper. The solar controller monitors the battery charge and battery box temperature continually, so there is that constant draw.

The thing that got me was the battery icon on the monitor pulsing, showing the battery accepting a charge.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
Old 01-28-2018, 02:39 PM   #4
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
I would check it with a digital meter connected to the battery.
Agree - good idea. Thank you.

Rich J

Wooden Spoon Survivor

Tags
battery, battery disconnect, switch