Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2016, 06:52 PM   #1

Battery Disconnect switch not disconnecting power

I have a 2014 sun seeker 2860ds and the past trip I noticed that the battery disconnect switch did not disconnect the power when switched off and not connected to shore power. The lights stayed on as well as other appliances. I did notice that the speed of the fan lowered as well as the lights dimmed like it was getting half power. Not sure if anyone has had this problem before. It is an intermittant problem because sometimes it works fine. Is it possible the switch is going bad?
Pacostaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 07:50 PM   #2

the switch should be a simple on / off switch. either 100% or 0%. no way it should only supply 50%. were you comparing the lights and fans to when you were connected to shore power vs when you are on the battery? if disconnected from shore power I would not expect the lights and fan to even come on with the switch disconnecting the battery. if you then connected the battery and there was a notable lowering of them it sounds like the battery is not fully charged. now, here is a possible explanation. if you are on shore power do you have the switch set so that the batteries are connected. they have to be in order to get recharged. if by chance you are on shore power and the batteries are not connected they will not get recharged. sorry for the nomenclature but I simply cannot remember if the batteries are connected or not when the switch says on or off.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:07 PM   #3

I have the same problem. Do you have a p picture of your switch? I know of one other person with said n e switch and problems as me.
CuzEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:16 PM   #4

Thank you for replies. As I stated no shore power was hooked up. I have a very clear understanding of the switch and what it is supposed to do. I was hoping someone else was experiencing similar issues. I will take a picture of switch tomorrow. Thanks again
Old 09-18-2016, 09:29 PM   #5

F____ it I took the picture now. It's a blue sea systems disconnect. Found them on the Internet. Probably going to go ahead and replace it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1474252133893.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	120619   Click image for larger version

Name:	1474252150097.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	120620  
Old 09-19-2016, 01:51 PM   #6

Mine was misswired when I bought it. I had to rewire it.
genehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:29 PM   #7

I'm not sure how you wire a disconnect wrong but I guess anything is possible. When a disconnect is connected inline on a cable, all it does is break/connect that cable. There's not much in the way of parts to a disconnect and it is really easy to test.....very rarely do they go bad.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:50 PM   #8

I agree, but mine is definitely bad
Old 09-20-2016, 10:22 AM   #9

When I installed my solar wiring I discovered that my battery disconnect switch had a second ring terminal on the battery-side lug which still provided power to certain things inside the TT. A cleaning and a cable rerouting on the disconnect switch lugs has resulted in a true 100% disconnect. Also inspect the positive post on the battery to insure there are no other wires going to parts unknown other than the cable going to the disconnect switch.
metalsideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 07:50 PM   #10

Pulled it out and only 2 wires, black and red. Ready ordered 2 new disconnects. I always order 2 of everything I fix just in case it happens again. I ha e fixed so many things it's unbelievabe. If I had to take it to the dealer everytime I would never get to use it. I also am very anal about it and keep it immaculate amd still things break. This year alone replaced both front tires because of bad alignment and camber issue, my propane regulator fell apart for no apparent reason, and a water line going to outside shower behind the cabinet sprung a leak. Ughhh
Old 09-20-2016, 07:58 PM   #11

If you have an inverter you will need to shut it off before the battery disconnect. Otherwise, everything will run.
CT Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:00 PM   #12

Ok, I found the disconnect on the Internet and replaced it. Easy to replace, 2 wires, all fixed.

Tags
battery, battery disconnect, power, switch