Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2008, 01:10 PM   #1

Battery Drain

We have a Surveyor 264 new this year which we park at a storage location. When parked, the battery indicator starts at fully charged and then seems to drop about "one light" on the indicator per week. The only thing I can see drawing power is the propane detector. This seems like excessive battery drain to me. Is this normal? Should I be disconnecting the battery when leaving the trailer for 2 or 3 weeks at a time?

Thanks
Ron
ronmadill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 02:39 PM   #2
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Some of us have concluded that disconnecting the battery is the way to go. Try checking out a battery disconnect switch. You can probably find them at West Marine or maybe even Camping World. I don't remember all of the details but I think you would be surprised at the number of parasitic loads that have not occurred to you. For example - The TV and radio memories and the amplifier in the TV antenna, to name a couple.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 07:19 PM   #3
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
And that heater in the Dometic fridges...

I'd put a battery disconnect in...and use it.

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 07:23 PM   #4

Allso co2 and gas detecter smoke alarm A lot of little things can make for quite a draw
j2detroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 07:56 PM   #5
Cyber Phrenologist

Remember, there are 168 hours in a week. Even at .5 amp hours, that's 84 amp hours of draw. I would disconnect the batteries. Also, some converter charges ain't too smart and they will boil your batteries dry. (Not a problem if you have no power at your storage lot)

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 09:19 PM   #6

Thanks all - didn't think off all those things. I'll track down a battery disconnect asap.

Ron
ronmadill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:07 AM   #7

I bought a 1.5W solar battery charger panel from Harbor Freight -- am hoping it would counter battery drain. Anyone have any experience. Seems everything is on sale off and on at HF - this was $19.95 from their listed $39 price. Made in China so I'm not expecting much.
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:17 AM   #8
Site Team

Some power centers actually drain the battery when the TT is not
plugged into shore power.
On my last trailer I'd pull the fuses for LP detector and the two main
fuses in the power center when we parked the trailer in storage.
That allowed me to have lights if I wanted them.

On my new TT listed in my signature, I've added a battery switch from
West Marine but harbor freight has them for LOTs less!

Just go to harbor freight and search for the key words
battery switch.
Either one shown will do the job.

http://harborfreight.com

Good luck!!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:21 PM   #9

I actually disconnect the negative when I am gone from my camper. I also purchased a 5 watt solar trickle charger from Amazon. I put it on an old camera tripod and hook that to the battery. All through the winter every time I went there the battery showed full. If you get a larger than 5 watt you should run a controller with it. I think I payed about $45 for the panel. Works great!
Old 05-12-2008, 06:44 PM   #10

I'll try to find the info on another forum but ther is an issue with some coaches involving the tank heaters, it seem that they changed the relay that runs the heaters and they aren't wired right. Found it
"Problem solved. Steve Hicks just got back to me. He has had calls from others like me with newer units that have reported the same phantom draw problem. Steve pulled a unit into the factory and solved the problem himself a week or so ago. In approximately May of 07 (our unit was delivered to us in July 07), CC swithced to a new relay to be used in the tank heater circuit. The relay is mounted to the back wall of the front compartment. The new relay required a slightly different wiring pattern than the old relay, but the required wiring change was never implemented on the assembly line. The new relay, when wired incorrrectly as it has been till Steve solved the problem a few weeks ago, will kick on the tank heaters anytime the air temperature at the relay is over 42 degrees. Steve is e-mailing me the changes I need to make to the relay wiring to solve the problem.

2006 F250 6.0 Harley Edition
2008 Cedar Creek Day Dreamer
Keith and Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:38 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

battery

I have power where I store the trailer. I disconnect my battery and hook up a Battery Minder. Awesome for battery life, never over-cooks, always fully charged, avoids sulfation.
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery