Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2014, 12:53 PM   #1
Tina

Battery draining??

Hello we have a 2013 26tbss Wildwood. Right now I have a problem about the battery in the trailer draining quickly. On Sunday afternoon we charged up the battery via generator to full. I removed the LP detector( heard its a draw) I also have a small solar panel installed as well for back up. After leaving for a few days and returning by Wednesday afternoon, the battery was on empty?? What would cause the battery to drain so quickly?? I also had my battery tested prior to the season starting and it was perfect. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
tbeefitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:58 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I'd install a battery disconnect and be done.

You probably need to get it charged up and put an amp meter on it and see "how big" a draw you have.

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:58 PM   #3

1st how was it tested?

2nd the antenna booster will kill the batt in couple days if left on.

3rd do you have a diagram of you 12V system with the panel.

4th how often has the battery died or drained below 10.5V
Old 08-20-2014, 02:09 PM   #4
Tina

ok what is a battery disconnect? and will that prevent my fridge from running? I had it tested a dealer that sells batteries. It was perfect, although that was in April. The antenna booster is not on.Not sure about the diagram, probably in manuals, if so why? It usually is fine however this is the first time we have left the trailer in a park unattended for a few days. Generally generator is put on a few time thoughout day for brewing coffee, movies, patio lights etc.... Thanks!!
Old 08-20-2014, 02:17 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Did you kill the 'climate control' feature in your fridge? (Information about that here: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...art-26676.html)
Old 08-20-2014, 02:44 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Did you kill the 'climate control' feature in your fridge? (Information about that here: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...art-26676.html)
So, what else was "ON" in the camper in addition to the fridge and climate control?

What is "charged up"?

It can take 12 - 36 hours on a generator (depending on state of charge) using the converter to charge up the battery.

4 lights is NOT FULL. 4 Lights is "C - Charging"

When using the "BATTERY" button, you must use the legend on the right. The left is for your holding tanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MicroMonitor.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	61026   Click image for larger version

Name:	Charge Chart.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	61029  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Micro Monitor Panel Troubleshooting.pdf (149.2 KB, 48 views)
File Type: pdf KIB Monitor Panel M21 Wireing Diagram.pdf (51.2 KB, 42 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:01 PM   #7
Tina

so I guess when I say charged up, it was on G. The only thing on in my camper is the fridge. I will have to look for the climate control button.Where is that located?
Old 08-20-2014, 09:28 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeefitz View Post
so I guess when I say charged up, it was on G. The only thing on in my camper is the fridge. I will have to look for the climate control button.Where is that located?

If you have the switch, it'll be visible on the underside of the top of the fridge, just above the freezer door. Most likely though it'll be like ours and not have a switch. In that case, you can

A) pull the jumper for the fridge light, which also powers the climate control
B) cut the wire behind the fridge light as per the instructions in the thread I referred to above.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 08-20-2014, 09:37 PM   #9

Check your solar controller make sure it is blocking the battery at night.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:35 PM   #10

Quote:
ok what is a battery disconnect? and will that prevent my fridge from running? I had it tested a dealer that sells batteries. It was perfect, although that was in April. The antenna booster is not on.Not sure about the diagram, probably in manuals, if so why? It usually is fine however this is the first time we have left the trailer in a park unattended for a few days. Generally generator is put on a few time thoughout day for brewing coffee, movies, patio lights etc.... Thanks!!

Gravity test is the best way to know the battery condition. Check the water level, charge fully, let rest for couple hours then test each cell.

If it has died a few times the battery will last half of the time it use too. Meaning from full state of charge as the chart shows, if it was a 100Ah Type 27, you would probably only get 50Ah.
This depends on the battery as well.

Also, If you have a bad cell in the batt, it takes out the good cells.

The idea for the diagram was to see how you solar controller was connected to the 12V system.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:17 PM   #11

That's one of those things that I've been fighting for years. I've come to believe that the lines themselves draw a bit of power, even though I've been told otherwise.

I have house 12v and solar shutoff switches that kills everything including the house o2 and monoxide sensors and I STILL get a .6 amp draw on my system. I don't think you're doing anything wrong, but a couple of days does seem rather dramatic. As mentioned.. it might be a good idea to invest in a multimeter to see where the load is coming from.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:06 AM   #12
Tina

Check your solar controller make sure it is blocking the battery at night?? I'm not sure what you mean by this could you explain? Thanks! ONTHELAKE the solar controller (panel)is connected to the battery as per instructions that came with the solar panel.We also have a solar charge hooked up to it as well.It a coleman panel 20w 12v with a 8.5 amp battery charger. Thanks again you guys/girls are awesome!!
Old 08-21-2014, 05:09 AM   #13
Tina

So to check the LOAD to see where the draw is coming from. How do I go about this also how do I know what is too much? Im sorry i am so new at this and my husband is no better
Old 08-21-2014, 05:42 AM   #14

Quote:
Check your solar controller make sure it is blocking the battery at night?? I'm not sure what you mean by this could you explain? Thanks! ONTHELAKE the solar controller (panel)is connected to the battery as per instructions that came with the solar panel.We also have a solar charge hooked up to it as well.It a coleman panel 20w 12v with a 8.5 amp battery charger. Thanks again you guys/girls are awesome!!
When I had solar panels on my sailboat they had to install a controller that stop the panels getting feed and drained over night from the battery's. I had a Marine Engineer install the system with included an invertor for 110v. I lived off battery power for years on the boat. It's really a diode that they installed only letting power flow one way. That's really all I can say about it besides him telling me that the panels can drain your battery's at night without this installed. It was a system designed and installed by them with tracking sun capability done automatically. I was sailing around the world so I needed all this tech. stuff. Some panels will not do this and come with a cheap controller. After 5 years and 15,000 blue water miles under her keel we got tired and returned to the good old USA. about 1/2 way we made it. Our retirement dream.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:04 AM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
When I had solar panels on my sailboat they had to install a controller that stop the panels getting feed and drained over night from the battery's. I had a Marine Engineer install the system with included an invertor for 110v. I lived off battery power for years on the boat. It's really a diode that they installed only letting power flow one way. That's really all I can say about it besides him telling me that the panels can drain your battery's at night without this installed. It was a system designed and installed by them with tracking sun capability done automatically. I was sailing around the world so I needed all this tech. stuff. Some panels will not do this and come with a cheap controller. After 5 years and 15,000 blue water miles under her keel we got tired and returned to the good old USA. about 1/2 way we made it. Our retirement dream.
Sorry for the "hijack" [emoji601]
Glenn this a cool story I'd love to hear some time.

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:09 AM   #16
Site Team - Lou

As stated, cheaper controllers shipped with low wattage panels may or may not have a "blocking diode" in the line to the battery.

Some sub 25 watt panels actually generate only "trickle charge" amperage and don't even HAVE a controller and certainly don't have a blocking diode. They are only designed to be connected in full sun; then disconnected when the sun goes down.

The blocking diode prevents the battery from discharging through the panel when the generated panel voltage drops below battery voltage.

As to the climate control (an automatic defroster heater powered by 12 volt DC), older units have a switch in the top of the freezer door that you MUST turn off when on battery. In the DM3862 it is in a button on the control panel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF1361.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	61066   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1362.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	61067   Click image for larger version

Name:	Climate Control Instructions.JPG
Views:	276
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	61068   Click image for larger version

Name:	DM3862 CLC Button.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	61069  
Old 08-21-2014, 07:16 AM   #17
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
If you have the switch, it'll be visible on the underside of the top of the fridge, just above the freezer door. Most likely though it'll be like ours and not have a switch. In that case, you can

A) pull the jumper for the fridge light, which also powers the climate control
B) cut the wire behind the fridge light as per the instructions in the thread I referred to above.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Here are some photos of how this was done to a DM2852.
The thread is on an RV2 website (link provided but unless you have this model AND it does not have the switch; it is NOT useful). New Dometic refrigerator problem - Page 2 - iRV2 Forums

In fact according to the new repair manual there may not even BE a 12 volt heater in these units.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	NOT used on all units.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	61071  
Old 08-21-2014, 07:28 AM   #18
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
G means "Good" and it will stay lit until the battery capacity drops to about 50% charged when it will go out.

"F" (Fair) will stay on in that case until the battery reached 20% capacity remains. Permanent reduction in charge cycles available happens anytime the "Good" light is out.

"L" or "Low" light only means PERMENANT DAMAGE to your battery is occurring and full capacity (whatever AH it says is possible) will never again be possible due to that plate damage. The longer the battery's charge stays below 11.5 volts the less likely the battery will even accept a charge.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Battery Display.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	61072  
Attached Images

Tags
battery, drain