Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2016, 03:04 PM   #21
Site Team

The CO/Propane detector will draw some current, Also many of the newer fridges have a heat strip between the fridge and freezer doors to prevent condensation that draws a lot of current. If you have a fridge fan either inside fridge or in outside ( usually if fridge is in a slide) you will draw current.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:24 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
The CO/Propane detector will draw some current, Also many of the newer fridges have a heat strip between the fridge and freezer doors to prevent condensation that draws a lot of current. If you have a fridge fan either inside fridge or in outside ( usually if fridge is in a slide) you will draw current.
Fridge is not in a slideout.

What could be done about the heat strip if that is the problem? There is no switch of any kind.
Thanks!
Missdenise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:27 PM   #23
Site Team

There is a connection on the control board that it is powered from. If you remove connection it will turn off heat strip. If you alternate between boondocking and connected camping you could extend the wire and add a switch. I will try to find control board photo showing connection.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:35 PM   #24

Quote:
There is a connection on the control board that it is powered from. If you remove connection it will turn off heat strip. If you alternate between boondocking and connected camping you could extend the wire and add a switch. I will try to find control board photo showing connection.
Oh my, beyond my capabilities. Yes, we camp both ways all season. When we are at the camper, it is plugged in to electricity when we are gone during the week it is not.
Thanks
Old 06-02-2016, 03:59 PM   #25

I've used these on our campers for when they are in storage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battqd1.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	109891   Click image for larger version

Name:	battqd2.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	109892  
Old 06-02-2016, 04:26 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flymhi View Post
I've used these on our campers for when they are in storage.
I got one of these at Walmart 10 years ago and it still does the job.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 04:37 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I got one of these at Walmart 10 years ago and it still does the job.
So this is the switch I would use to turn off the heat strip for the fridge??
Old 06-02-2016, 04:40 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missdenise View Post
No, this goes directly on the battery and isolates EVERYTHING when in storage. Basically the same as removing the battery cable from the terminal but does not require any tools.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:43 PM   #29

Quote:
No it is to disconnect the battery entirely which you do not want to do.

If you have the strip heater and wish to add a switch you can go to the auto parts store and tell them you are looking for rocker switch that will handle 20 or 30 amps (should be more than enough). I like using the types that mount into a round hole as it is easier to drill than cutout a rectangle.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 04:54 PM   #30

Quote:
Read this thread.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:01 PM   #31
Learning a lot as I go...

Quote:
Fridge is not in a slideout.

What could be done about the heat strip if that is the problem? There is no switch of any kind.
Thanks!
Quote:
YMMV depending on how old your unit is...

In my 2015/2016 Dometic the "heat strip" as it is called is plugged into a circuit board which is part of the fridge compartment light housing. This housing will have the switch sticking out the front and be held onto the top of the compartment by 2 screws. If you remove the screws and take it down there will be two wire connector blocks: one with 4 wires and another with 2 wires. Just disconnect the 2 wire and you should have disabled the heat strip.
stevejahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 05:04 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by flymhi View Post
Read this thread.
I will read the whole thread.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:16 PM   #33

I had this problem, there is a 5A fuse running the heater! You need to pull it off the board, mine was on the outside of the trailer under fridge cover. Solved the problem!

My Smoker Adventure:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BSZsmP5X78
Use code SPdiscount to buy on Amazon
spower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:43 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaddiva View Post
I had this problem, there is a 5A fuse running the heater! You need to pull it off the board, mine was on the outside of the trailer under fridge cover. Solved the problem!

I hope it is as simple as that. I saw you had the same problem but didn't see the solution. I sent you a PM, I guess you didn't see it.
We have the same camper - 2604WS but mine is a 2015. I will look for this fuse tomorrow.

Thanks everyone.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:58 PM   #35

Since you're heading back tomorrow...may I suggest that before you do anything else...your hubby puts a volt meter on the battery terminals and read the voltage. Anything less than 12.0V should be cause for concern and confirmation that you have a significant drain on your battery even with the trailer disconnect switch engaged.
Once you know your starting voltage point...you can plug in the camper and check all the other stuff that has been discussed above.
BTW many folks don't have an clamp meter in their toolbox and it is a very useful thing to have around to check all things electrical...AC &DC on the RV and at home. Here's a nice inexpensive one from Amazon which comes complete with instructions (in English - LOL) http://www.amazon.com/Uni-T-UT204-Au...mp+clamp+meter
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:56 PM   #36
Learning a lot as I go...

Quote:
I hope it is as simple as that. I saw you had the same problem but didn't see the solution. I sent you a PM, I guess you didn't see it.
We have the same camper - 2604WS but mine is a 2015. I will look for this fuse tomorrow.

Thanks everyone.
Same trailer I have, see my earlier response where you can disconnect the cable heater without losing any other functions of the fridge. Removing the fuse will disable more than just the heater strip.

Note the heater strip is ~50 ohms and will pull about 1/4 amp as long as the fridge is turned on.
stevejahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:30 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejahr View Post
YMMV depending on how old your unit is...

In my 2015/2016 Dometic the "heat strip" as it is called is plugged into a circuit board which is part of the fridge compartment light housing. This housing will have the switch sticking out the front and be held onto the top of the compartment by 2 screws. If you remove the screws and take it down there will be two wire connector blocks: one with 4 wires and another with 2 wires. Just disconnect the 2 wire and you should have disabled the heat strip.
Steve do you have a DM2652?
Old 06-03-2016, 07:40 AM   #38

Quote:

Thanks everyone.
Sorry I didn't see a PM from you I will look for it. You can find the fuse in the schematic in the trailer manual. It will stop the heater and also the light in the fridge. Now I have no battery draining issues at all, love my trailer!
spower is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, drain